!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Would you buy a crowd-funded class 205 Hampshire DEMU?

Livery - plain green (1957 to mid-1960s)
13 (20%)
Livery - plain green with experimental orange "V" on fronts (mid-1960s)
1 (1.5%)
Livery - green with small yellow panels (mid to late 1960s)
5 (7.7%)
Livery - rail blue
11 (16.9%)
Livery - rail blue/grey
5 (7.7%)
Livery - Network SouthEast
15 (23.1%)
Livery - Connex yellow/white
2 (3.1%)
None of the above
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Suggestion for RevolutioN - Class 205 Hampshire DEMU  (Read 7750 times)

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
Suggestion for RevolutioN - Class 205 Hampshire DEMU
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:27:07 AM »
Ever since Kernow announced and released a Hampshire DEMU in OO, there's been no news on whether a N gauge version would be forthcoming. It's not clear if their exclusive rights with Bachmann are only for their OO version, in which case, it paves the way for a N gauge model.

There were 33 units built, 1957-62:

1101-18 - built 1957 for southern Hampshire use, initially as 2 cars, but expanded in 1959 to three due to overcrowding.
One unit (1111) was refurbished involving gangways between carriages in late 70s.

1119-22 - 2-car units for other branch lines, later reformed as 3-car units.

1123-26 - 3-car units built 1959;

1127-33 - 3-car "Berkshire" units, built 1962 for Reading-Basingstoke-Salisbury lines.
Many detail differences from the earlier versions, including raised aluminium window frames, four-bay DMBSO with larger luggage area, smaller route indicator and simplified, tidier roof details.

1101-18 as built had slightly different motor body grilles and roof exhaust arrangements which were amended in the 60s - Kernow's version shows these differences. This batch had the most complex layout of roof detail including lighting conduits. Later units had simplified roof details.

The last units were withdrawn from public service on the national rail network in 2004. Later units had headlights and in some cases droplight bars fitted as well as receiving single-pane toilet glazing.

I suggest when this is manufactured in N, they produce the original 1101-18 batch to be offered from the outset in 3 car units in green, blue, blue/grey, NSE and Connex liveries and 2 car units in green, NSE and Connex.

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for RevolutioN - Class 205 Hampshire DEMU
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:42:15 AM »
Niche-tastic!

ScottyStitch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 09:54:36 AM »
Ever since Kernow announced and released a Hampshire DEMU in OO, there's been no news on whether a N gauge version would be forthcoming. It's not clear if their exclusive rights with Bachmann are only for their OO version, in which case, it paves the way for a N gauge model.

There were 33 units built, 1957-62:

1101-18 - built 1957 for southern Hampshire use, initially as 2 cars, but expanded in 1959 to three due to overcrowding.
One unit (1111) was refurbished involving gangways between carriages in late 70s.

1119-22 - 2-car units for other branch lines, later reformed as 3-car units.

1123-26 - 3-car units built 1959;

1127-33 - 3-car "Berkshire" units, built 1962 for Reading-Basingstoke-Salisbury lines.
Many detail differences from the earlier versions, including raised aluminium window frames, four-bay DMBSO with larger luggage area, smaller route indicator and simplified, tidier roof details.

1101-18 as built had slightly different motor body grilles and roof exhaust arrangements which were amended in the 60s - Kernow's version shows these differences. This batch had the most complex layout of roof detail including lighting conduits. Later units had simplified roof details.

The last units were withdrawn from public service on the national rail network in 2004. Later units had headlights and in some cases droplight bars fitted as well as receiving single-pane toilet glazing.

I suggest when this is manufactured in N, they produce the original 1101-18 batch to be offered from the outset in 3 car units in green, blue, blue/grey, NSE and Connex liveries and 2 car units in green, NSE and Connex.

Were these only deployed in Hampshire lines? Can you give more infor regarding their use? Did they get cascaded elsewhere later in life?

Scotty

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
There's several preserved units, however, many lost their centre cars in the 90s.
Only one complete 3-car unit (1109/205 009) survives from the first batch on the Eden Valley Railway, and a complete "Berkshire" unit, 1128/205 028 survives at Dartmoor.

http://www.preservedthumpers.com/pres-units.html

ScottyStitch -
These units worked over many non-electrified lines on the Southern Region:
Hampshire, Dorset (to Swanage before BR closed the line), London Victoria-East Grinstead/Uckfield, Hastings-Ashford.
Some even reached Bristol on Portsmouth Harbour services.
Units were withdrawn and/or reformed as electrification progressed, the East Grinstead line was electrified in 1987, the Portsmouth/Southampton/Eastleigh lines in 1990.

The last haunts for these units were between Hastings and Ashford, and London Victoria-Uckfield, when class 171s finally took over in 2004.

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:16:10 AM »
I could certainly be tempted by a Hampshire DEMU.  Although not native to my current layout in Warwickshire the units have appeared on my line working rail tours.  That, combined with the nostalgia factor as they look like the Southern EMUs that I remember from my childhood is enough for me to buy at least one.

Of course we have to ask if it fits the criteria set out by RevolutioN?

Do you think there are 1000 modellers to buy one?

Given the unit's long life and work on rail tours, plus a potentially un-tapped market for Southern Region multiple-units it seems possible.

Would they accept a sensible price?

I think so, for something that has never been available ready-to-run in N gauge that has a fairly niche appeal I think people might pay a premium over existing multiple units from the big names.

Do you know where we could get proper drawings, or is there a real one left to laser scan to be confident of accuracy?

I don't know if drawings are available but, as has been noted, there is a preserved 205 set (possibly more than one).  Plus it is a fairly simple shape compared to - say - the Pendolino.

Given current N Gauge technology would there be any serious manufacturing compromises

The good thing about the units is that the diesel engine was mounted above the floor behind one of the cabs, which means it should be easy to conceal the electric motor on a model without intruding in to the passenger space.  And if you have to take up more space the small windows should make it less obvious.

Offline gc4946

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »
I lived in Portsmouth for much of my childhood and youth and they were regular sights down there, so would buy one 3-car unit in blue and another in blue/grey.

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
so would buy one 3-car unit in blue and another in blue/grey.

Ditto for my Reading layout!

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline dodger

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
There's several preserved units, however, many lost their centre cars in the 90s.
Only one complete 3-car unit (1109/205 009) survives from the first batch on the Eden Valley Railway, and a complete "Berkshire" unit, 1128/205 028 survives at Dartmoor.

http://www.preservedthumpers.com/pres-units.html

ScottyStitch -
These units worked over many non-electrified lines on the Southern Region:
Hampshire, Dorset (to Swanage before BR closed the line), London Victoria-East Grinstead/Uckfield, Hastings-Ashford.
Some even reached Bristol on Portsmouth Harbour services.
Units were withdrawn and/or reformed as electrification progressed, the East Grinstead line was electrified in 1987, the Portsmouth/Southampton/Eastleigh lines in 1990.

The last haunts for these units were between Hastings and Ashford, and London Victoria-Uckfield, when class 171s finally took over in 2004.

Not forgetting the Reading-Redhill route when there was a shortage of "Tadpoles". Would buy a green 2 car unit.

Dodger

Offline Stuart7358

• N Gauge Society Number: 22431
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »
Would be most interested in purchasing at least one unit, and maybe 2 if the price was right.

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 02:40:50 PM »
I love the Thumpers, so would love to see these in N; and would definitely get one if available. I have the Kernow Connex 00 model, which is lovely.

Offline UPINSMOKE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25171
  • Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 10:15:38 PM »
I would go for one of these. I remember travelling on these when I used to live in Hastings.
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Online Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »
I would buy any number of these, particularly as i model "Bishopstoke", a fictional station near Eastleigh across three eras (60s, 70s and 80s), which allows me to model my southern and western interests without too much rule one coming into play (well maybe a bit).
Its a pastiche of lots of southern locations:
A double track main line layout with a four track main line running through the station (like Eastleigh),
Tunnels (like Southampton town and the one near Weymouth),
A large EMU shed (like Fratton),
A steam shed (Heljan's Dorchester lookalike shed) for my southern steamers (which becomes a shed for the visiting WR diesel hydraulics on Waterloo-Exeter runs in the 60s and stone trains in the 70s, and a small preserved loco centre in the 80s era version),
And a "new" diesel shed (the Kato shed anglicised to be more like Hither Green) for the green and blue era 07s, 08s, 33s, 70, 71, 73s and 74.

So lets see what i would need thumper wise:

2x green with orange Vee fronts
2x green with small yellow ends
4x blue with full yellow ends
2x blue grey with full yellow ends.

:drool: :drool: :drool: Thats one drool for each of the three coaches in the unit- and no you would NOT want a 2-car, as Kernow are finding out with their 205, folk will want the centre coach.

And while the manufacturer is doing the thumper, they can develop the class 414/2, and 414/3 BR designed 2-HAP as they share an almost identical DTC coach.

I think the thing is with EMU and DMU modellers, if its right for you, you will buy them.  I have absolutely no need of a 304 or 310 EMU, for example, but give me a Thumper or ten and I'm happy as Larry.

Best
Bob (spraying one of his AMMC entries today)

Offline dodger

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 04:02:54 PM »
I would buy any number of these, particularly as i model "Bishopstoke", a fictional station near Eastleigh across three eras (60s, 70s and 80s), which allows me to model my southern and western interests without too much rule one coming into play (well maybe a bit).
Its a pastiche of lots of southern locations:
A double track main line layout with a four track main line running through the station (like Eastleigh),
Tunnels (like Southampton town and the one near Weymouth),
A large EMU shed (like Fratton),
A steam shed (Heljan's Dorchester lookalike shed) for my southern steamers (which becomes a shed for the visiting WR diesel hydraulics on Waterloo-Exeter runs in the 60s and stone trains in the 70s, and a small preserved loco centre in the 80s era version),
And a "new" diesel shed (the Kato shed anglicised to be more like Hither Green) for the green and blue era 07s, 08s, 33s, 70, 71, 73s and 74.

So lets see what i would need thumper wise:

2x green with orange Vee fronts
2x green with small yellow ends
4x blue with full yellow ends
2x blue grey with full yellow ends.

:drool: :drool: :drool: Thats one drool for each of the three coaches in the unit- and no you would NOT want a 2-car, as Kernow are finding out with their 205, folk will want the centre coach.

And while the manufacturer is doing the thumper, they can develop the class 414/2, and 414/3 BR designed 2-HAP as they share an almost identical DTC coach.

I think the thing is with EMU and DMU modellers, if its right for you, you will buy them.  I have absolutely no need of a 304 or 310 EMU, for example, but give me a Thumper or ten and I'm happy as Larry.

Best
Bob (spraying one of his AMMC entries today)
[/quote
You'll have enough to even run the temporary 4H or 5H!

:claphappy: :laugh3:

Dodger

Online Buzzard

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 04:59:18 PM »
Were these only deployed in Hampshire lines? Can you give more infor regarding their use? Did they get cascaded elsewhere later in life?

In addition to the details already provided there are the following

The Bexhill West branch (closed in 1964)

A peak hour service in the mid to late 70s, possibly the 18.45 Charing Cross to Hastings, along with a Hastings unit.  The 3H was detached at Tonbridge.  There would probably have been an up service with the 3H leading from Tonbridge.

In 1984 there was a working from Victoria to Eastbourne, and vice-versa, via Haywards Heath.  This was a way of getting rid of stock off and onto the Oxted lines that couldn't be stabled in the London area during the day.  It also allowed the possibility of maintenance/exams at St Leonards depot.

Nigel

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »
Thumpers also worked the Lymington branch in between the removal of steam and the Bournemouth electrification.
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal