Same old questions

Started by MalcolmInN, January 18, 2015, 12:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Sprintex on January 18, 2015, 11:51:48 AM
If such dismissive posts are made it's probably best to just ignore it and wait for a much more helpful reply to arrive, which it no doubt will sooner or later.
Which is what I did, err we did, , , er, well, for some time, until we just couldnt resist any longer :)

Anyway, a whole range of views have been expressed, mostly along the lines of what we already said in the other place, steam has been let off, the forum position has been made clear,
perhaps it would be a good idea to moderate this one off as well :laugh: !

Geoff

Quote from: MalcolmAL on January 18, 2015, 12:11:15 PM
Quote from: Sprintex on January 18, 2015, 11:51:48 AM
If such dismissive posts are made it's probably best to just ignore it and wait for a much more helpful reply to arrive, which it no doubt will sooner or later.
Which is what I did, err we did, , , er, well, for some time, until we just couldnt resist any longer :)

Anyway, a whole range of views have been expressed, mostly along the lines of what we already said in the other place, steam has been let off, the forum position has been made clear,
perhaps it would be a good idea to moderate this one off as well :laugh: !

No no no do not get rid of this post, it irons out all the wrinkles.
Geoff

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Geoff on January 18, 2015, 12:32:15 PM
Quote from: MalcolmAL on January 18, 2015, 12:11:15 PM
:laugh: !
irons out all the wrinkles.
Maybe even all the old wrinklies as well ! lol!
Dont worry Geoff, note my bouncy laugh emoticon previously,
I hope Paul did as well.

DELETED

I'm wondering whether google has been hidden in the last 12 months?  Is it available on all browsers these days?  I'm finding more and more I can just cut and paste questions (on lots of things) into google and -ping, all the answers are just right there in front of you!

Jonny

That of course depends if a Mod sees it at the time ;) We cannot read every post in every thread even between the lot of us, and there is always the 'Report to Moderator' button for anyone to use if they feel a post needs bringing to the attention of the team.

Paul
[/quote]

I did just that. I hit the report to moderator button. Re a reply on a thread. Actually it was the first reply on the thread on a question asked by a new member.  I thought it was very inappropriate and did not show the forum to be a friendly happy place where new folk could ask advise.. Its not the first time that user has posted such answers either.

Im no newbie.  I have been hanging around for a few years now. Whilst I have a good knowledge of model locos and related subjects I dont know everything as life is a big learning curve. So I myself am happy to ask questions that others may know the answer too. Its called sharing knowledge.  Being friendly.  Helping each other. 

Just my two pennies worth

Jonny
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

PostModN66

Quote from: RST on February 21, 2015, 12:56:01 AM
I'm wondering whether google has been hidden in the last 12 months?  Is it available on all browsers these days?  I'm finding more and more I can just cut and paste questions (on lots of things) into google and -ping, all the answers are just right there in front of you!

I'm surprised that you ask this on the forum RST - I just typed "has Google been hidden in the last twelve months?" and the answer came up straight away.  Remember, Google is your friend!

:searchingsign:

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Bealman

The moderating team try to move things into their correct "boxes" however, some questions invariably get repeated. The mods can't monitor everything all of the time, though we try to, hence having a "nightwatchman" here at the Antipodes!

I really can't see the problem with questions being repeated... actually, it reflects a healthy interest in the hobby, and this forum exists to nuture it.

The recycling of old questions  sometimes brings up new solutions.

The important thing is it is kept on a friendly basis.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jonny

Quote from: Bealman link=

The important thing is it is kept on a friendly basis.  :thumbsup:

George
/quote]

I SECOND THAT GEORGE

Jonny

NinOz

For me, as an old timer, it is not the questions which annoy me (just ignore the ones that do) but the obvious lack of effort on the part of some questioners to find answers to their questions.
Far easier to just ask a question and let everyone else do your work.  I am amazed at the number of people who need to be spoon-fed.
Some obviously haven't even read the manual or the FAQ or searched the internet.

Not as bad though as some of the advice given which does nothing to help, based on limited experience or an exaggerated sense of expertise or is totally incorrect. :censored:

CFJ

PS there are indeed stupid questions which are not unasked.  Could fill a book, a very thick book.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bob Tidbury

I agree with Bealman I don't mind people asking questions that seem to be repeated a few times because sometimes there might be a newer easier answer since the last posting ,things progress so quickly that an answer a year ago might have solved a problem then but a much better solution has been thought of at a later date .
But most IMPORTANT is that we help new members who like me are not used to finding things on the forum sometimes the search dosent always come up with exactly the answer your looking for ,it's not always people being lazy.
Just my opinion.
Bob

Jonny

Quote from: NinOz on February 21, 2015, 09:39:11 AM
For me, as an old timer, it is not the questions which annoy me (just ignore the ones that do) but the obvious lack of effort on the part of some questioners to find answers to their questions.
Far easier to just ask a question and let everyone else do your work.  I am amazed at the number of people who need to be spoon-fed.
Some obviously haven't even read the manual or the FAQ or searched the internet.

Not as bad though as some of the advice given which does nothing to help, based on limited experience or an exaggerated sense of expertise or is totally incorrect. :censored:

CFJ

PS there are indeed stupid questions which are not unasked.  Could fill a book, a very thick book.

Where you born knowing how to eat or did your mother spoon feed you???

.Not every one can understand and put into practice what they read on the net so ask on here for help in how its done in simple layman's terms

NinOz

Quote from: Jonny on February 21, 2015, 09:54:33 AM
Where you born knowing how to eat or did your mother spoon feed you???

.Not every one can understand and put into practice what they read on the net so ask on here for help in how its done in simple layman's terms
First question:  Yes I was, based on my mother's statements over the years.  Most babies are born knowing how to eat.  Using a spoon is a skill they learn.

No one is berating anyone for asking questions in general; just the same damned questions, with simple answers that are easily found with a few minutes work, appearing over and over again.  This is the reason why people bother to write Frequently Asked Questions.
Seeking clarification rarely raises anyone's ire as it denotes that the poster has a least made an attempt and has probably gathered some of the basics needed to understand the answer.
I will not write and tell someone to look for the answer to very common questions but I will surely label them in my mind as  :censored: lazy.

For Example:
Asking how to attach flex track to a baseboard could elicit a negative response.
This question has a lot of information available in magazines, books and web sites to see the options available.  To me the questioner is just too lazy to do any basic research.

Asking whether it is better to glue, nail, do both or what other fixing methods would not elicit a negative response.
Knows the options but are asking for peoples' opinions and experience to decide which one to use.  This kind of open question could lead to discussions of which glues or nails are available.

BTW telling someone to do a search is trying to teach a basic skill.

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Pengi

I do refer people to older posts and I put a link to the post so that it can be easier to find with one click.

The reason for this is there are some answers to 'same old' that are far better crafted then I could give, e.g. they have photos, diagrams, comprehensive explanations, etc.

Regarding 'Report to Moderator', this is the correct approach if there are any posts that you find inappropriate. All 'Report to Moderator' posts are fully investigated by the Mods.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

DELETED

QuoteFor me, as an old timer, it is not the questions which annoy me (just ignore the ones that do) but the obvious lack of effort on the part of some questioners to find answers to their questions.

That's the nail on the head point I was badly trying to make.  Never, ever has it been so easy to find the answer to almost anything yet it seems inversely proportional to the ability to look for it.  I'm not old (just the under side of 40), but I don't find it age or gender specific.  I love forums, always join them and usually always ask daft questions at the start, but always always after searching first.  But I'm finding it more and more often that forums are used as a lazy option these days.  When I find it easier / quicker to just cut and past the question into google to look it up myself (and get a perfect answer) rather than spend the time typing an answer, that's when I don't post back -I suspect I'm not alone in that respect but appreciate it doesn't help anyone.

...Sorry, I'm not having a dig on her per se, it's common on allot of forums these days.  The purpose of forums seems to me to be slowly being dumbed down.

Griffo

Surely this (and other) online forums are the equivalent of a clubhouse environment. if you had walked into a club as a comparative "newbee" with little knowledge and not necessarily able to ask the right questions and had then been referred to the library would you feel included or excluded?

Every year high schools have a new intake which need to be nurtured. I assume that a number of "experts" here believe that these students should be pointed to the library on the grounds that the instructor has covered these questions before.

People come here asking for guidance and assistance and I for one will always be willing to share whatever knowledge I have been able to accumulate.

I shudder to think that ANY one of you goes to a GP who thinks that you should have Googled your symptoms before you ever thought to "waste" their time.

An extreme example perhaps, but we were ALL ignorant at some point in our various educations.

Rant over. Be nice to each other!

Steve

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%