Length of your various Rakes

Started by RHEINGOLD, January 16, 2015, 11:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_N_E_R

Quote from: newportnobby on August 17, 2015, 01:36:46 PM
Quote from: G_N_E_R on August 17, 2015, 12:25:56 PM
but they look god going over the current board and terrain!

Praise indeed :goggleeyes:

Whoops! Too busy running in my new purchases from the local Austrian model shop to proof read! :-[

Western Exile

I'm some way from running anything yet (still building the baseboards) but my loft layout will have a continuous run of two scale miles and I've designed the track layout and station with prototypical length trains in mind. The longest straight on the scenic side is about three metres and I intend to run freights with 30 PGAs, 2+8 HSTs or 11 coach loco-hauled passenger trains. As to when that will happen though......  :-\
(not Dr.) Al

Railwaygun

I've just measured mine - 2.4m (7') comprising 2x type 52( DRG) and 38 DRGbtankers on a 4.8m run.

Pic to follow.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Kris

Theoretically I could fit rakes of 20+ coaches in my fiddle yard, however I don't run trains of this length as it doesn't match what was used on the line in reality so the maximum length of trains would be 14 mk1's (or equivalent) on a double headed train. Trains of these size can't all be seen in the scenic section at the same time, however as it is not a station this is not an issue and the illusion can be maintained of a heavy train travelling over a longer distance.

sparky

Some of my storage sidings are quite long and up to 10/11ft ish but I don`t run any rakes greater than about 6ft as operationally they can fit in my station run around loops so I can hold say a decent length coal rake of 25 wagons in the loops and let a passenger rake through. I found with that the longer rakes were operationally not so much fun...now in most of my longer sidings I tend to have 2 rakes of approx 5 or 6ft each set up instead of one very long rake.Shortest passenger rakes are 7 coaches which fit spot on in my other shorter sidings.So for me the max length is determined by the lower of the shortest siding or passing loops. 

guest311

since making the decision to store my rakes in the JB closed foam trays, I've standardised on a max of 8 vehicles per rake, so one rake fits per tray.
obviously 4 vehicle rakes fit two to a tray, and no probs with 5 - 7 vehicle rakes, as they just leave spare slots.

Dorsetmike

One reason I like modelling the Southern is that it's quite OK to run trains of 4, 5 or 6 coaches  behind an express loco because of the way trains were split so as to serve a number of destinations. My layout is based loosely on East Dorset/SW Hants; typically a 12 coach train from Waterloo would split at Bournemouth Central, 5 or 6 going to Bournemouth West, the rest continuing on to Wareham where some would split again, two coaches to Swanage, the remainder to Weymouth.they would recombine on the return journey.  The original train loco would either end at Bournemouth West or more usually at Weymouth, the Bournemouth West portion could often find itself behind anything that could turn a wheel, T9, M7, whatever was available, or in many cases was to subsequently take out a local after disposing of the carriage stock and maybe turning on the Branksome triangle.

It would be interesting to model Bournemouth Central, space would be the problem though. the down platform could accommodate 2x 12 coach trains so was a bit long at 1748', needing just under 12' in N plus the MPD  on the up side and in steam days 2 loops between the platform tracks with crossovers in the middle of the down side to allow a split rear portion to leave before the front one.

Further west trains would split at Exeter and again at subsequent stations to serve destinations as far apart as Plymouth and Ilfracombe and points between, like Padstow, Wadebridge  Bude etc.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

D1042 Western Princess

As someone said, how long is a bit of string? I have room in the fiddle yard for a maximum of just 8 coaches plus loco, and the run round will only hold 8 Mk1s, so that's the length.
But then I'm only operating, essentially, a branch line so I suppose that's quite a respectable train.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

mr magnolia

Quote from: RHEINGOLD on January 18, 2015, 11:21:59 PM
Quote from: Paul B on January 18, 2015, 12:58:00 PM
I always remember someone saying that it is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye for a model train rake to consist of an odd number of coaches - and, having tried it, is does for some strange reaso
Now isn't that a strange thing to say bearing in mind my original post wherein I said that a 5 coach rake looked "just right".
I had originally put 6 behind a Flreischmann steam loco and whilst it looked good and was well within the hauling powers of the loco once I had reduced the rake to 5 it looked so much better without me being able to " put my finger" on why,it just did for some reason. Yet it is said thet the eye prefers symmetry which would suggest a preference of even over odd!
Strange but what you say is seemingly true.
Les

when buying flowers for my loving wife, from our favourite flowershop that did our wedding flowers 'some' years ago, I am always aware that their advice is always to go for an odd number of stems for display flowers - 3 or 5 being the norm.

My own layout (I've been instructed to stop calling it 'ours'!) allows a nice little class 24+3 coaches, which is fine.  When in USA mode, it gets trickier, as there is no passenger stock and a rake of about 5 40ft box cars doesn't look quite right.  Hence the growing imperative for the next, second, extension to the layout, and thereafter, the third extension, to allow a reasonable rake to be formed and to run through, around and out again.  And my family wonder why on earth I don't just 'finish' the thing!!
:D
Donald

edit: [duh - just seen Weaves point about horticultural college! too hasty in my gassing]

Luke Piewalker

Sounds like an opportunity to post my video of the 89 on a 9 car Mk4 rake with DVT and darts commentary.

:D

steve836

On Cromford my longest rake appears to be limited by haulage power. The platform length is only 2'6" (actually overscale the actual platform length should be 300ft, 600mm or2ft in N) but most trains didn't stop. My longest storage loop can hold an 8 coupled loco and 60 wagons with ease so prototypical length trains of loco + 5 coaches on locals Loco + 12 or 14 on expresses. Freight workings were limited to 43 behind an 8F unless assisted beyond Rowsley.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

JasonBz

I try to go for a maximum length of about 20 inches for the train, plus the engine - Its only a branch line at the moment.

The "odd number" in a rake does look right to me also; I think its because one's mind cant split it into couples and the rake is symmetrical centered on the middle wagon.

Luke Piewalker

I know what you mean about odd numbers looking better. Although I also have a mental block where I feel uncomfortable if there isn't more 2nd class accommodation than 1st class... So if I have a buffet with second class seating 3 coaches is fine, but if it's first class I have to have another second class coach on...  :-[

njee20

Longest I've got at the moment is 7 pairs of Megafret wagons, so 14 flats plus a loco which is 76". Will try another pair or two, but suspect it'll look too long. Layout is about 12'6" long. 8-9 coach passenger trains look fine, which was what I wanted!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations