!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Would You Buy a Crowd Funded Electrostar 377/2 in N Gauge?

No
Yes, at least 1
Yes at least 2
Yes, more than 2
Yes Depending on Liveries proposed

Author Topic: Suggestion for RevolutioN - Electrostar 377/2  (Read 25870 times)

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Electrostars
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »
You're right - my mistake.
Hattons are currently listing 371-396 Class 66/9 diesel 66731 'InterhubGB' in GBRf livery at £89.21.

So let me rephrase that:  Would you rather have two of those or a high-spec, laser-scanned 4-car Electrostar for £178.42.    ;)

I'll definitely go for the electrostar(s) - and keep looking out for the 66s I want to dip below the magic £50 mark......top priority is the "Sorento" livery!!

We live in hope!   Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »
Yep, I'd definitely pay £180 for an Electrostar tomorrow.

Offline UPINSMOKE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25171
  • Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2015, 11:13:31 PM »
Yep, I'd definitely pay £180 for an Electrostar tomorrow.

I don't think it will be here that quick :D 8)
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Offline Greybeema

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2015, 08:23:56 AM »
I'd be up for one maybe a second depending on funds at the time.

At least they run on the North Kent line more frequently than my last purchase - 1930's Brighton Belle...  And I don't need anymore(ish) 66's....
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2015, 08:39:52 AM »
I would buy a high-spec, laser-scanned 4-car Electrostar for £178.42 in Southern livery
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
I'd certainly be happy with £180 a set. :thumbsup:

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »
Hello all, I would agree that sounds a pretty fair price.
  regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2015, 10:29:32 PM »
In view of the Revolution Trains thread, and the various sub-threads popping up regarding new product suggestions, it might be an idea to crystallise many of the comments on this thread and run the Electrostar through the same criteria:

Do you think there are 1000 modellers to buy one? 

If we are talking units (of sale, as opposed to EMUs!), then yes, I am reasonably confident that 1,000 units would be achievable. Whilst some modellers may get a single set, a large number may well be interested in two or three

Would they accept a sensible price?

I think much of the discussion on this thread suggests that sensible price of around about £175.00 would be acceptable. Obviously the price-point has a number of factors...

Do you know where we could get proper drawings, or is there a real one left to laser scan to be confident of accuracy?

Presumably plans and blueprints are available from Bombardier, and there are plenty of units out there for scanning. Also, Southern appear to be a very image-conscious company, who advertise quite widely. They may well welcome (or at least be receptive to) an initiative of this nature...don't forget the 171 has been produced both in 00 and N (and due out again this year). Not so sure about First-group however...FCC did not turn out to be the happiest experience for them. The general thrust of this thread is that the 'second-generation' light cluster (377140-164, 377/2, 377/4, 377/5, 375/8, 375/9) design would be a suitable candidate; perhaps with the 377/2 (with its wide sphere of operation) being a initial option.

Given current N Gauge technology would there be any serious manufacturing compromises

No, I don't believe so. In fact there are little or no compromises as far as I can see...for example the tinted glass effectively masks the fact the motor may well fill one of the carriages.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:32:23 PM by Claude Dreyfus »

Offline UPINSMOKE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25171
  • Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »
In view of the Revolution Trains thread, and the various sub-threads popping up regarding new product suggestions, it might be an idea to crystallise many of the comments on this thread and run the Electrostar through the same criteria:

Do you think there are 1000 modellers to buy one? 

If we are talking units (of sale, as opposed to EMUs!), then yes, I am reasonably confident that 1,000 units would be achievable. Whilst some modellers may get a single set, a large number may well be interested in two or three

I think much of the discussion on this thread suggests that sensible price of around about £175.00 would be acceptable. Obviously the price-point has a number of factors...

Do you know where we could get proper drawings, or is there a real one left to laser scan to be confident of accuracy?

Presumably plans and blueprints are available from Bombardier, and there are plenty of units out there for scanning. Also, Southern appear to be a very image-conscious company, who advertise quite widely. They may well welcome (or at least be receptive to) an initiative of this nature...don't forget the 171 has been produced both in 00 and N (and due out again this year). Not so sure about First-group however...FCC did not turn out to be the happiest experience for them. The general thrust of this thread is that the 'second-generation' light cluster (377140-164, 377/2, 377/4, 377/5, 375/8, 375/9) design would be a suitable candidate; perhaps with the 377/2 (with its wide sphere of operation) being a initial option.

Given current N Gauge technology would there be any serious manufacturing compromises

No, I don't believe so. In fact there are little or no compromises as far as I can see...for example the tinted glass effectively masks the fact the motor may well fill one of the carriages.

I for one would fully support this venture with purchasing 1 or 2 of these if they were to be made. Perhaps we should have a poll to gauge interest it certainly would not hurt doing one. Over to you Claude Dreyfus  ;) :D :NGaugersRule:
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Online acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2015, 10:54:14 PM »
Claude,

While not the right area for me (technically) If an option came for one in First Livery I would be after one maybe 2!

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2015, 08:11:22 AM »
I would be a supporter for more than 2 units, the extras  depending on liveries offered.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Brooksy

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2015, 08:29:53 AM »

I would buy one at £175. Two if the price was £125 or lower. Southeastern in my livery of choice but not bothered about choice of sub class.

One question I have is about motors. Is there a possibilty to have a high quality lower spec motor? The motor only has to be able to propel four carriages to a scale 90-100mph. Discounting the possibility of dummy units being produced, there is no reason to add extra carriages. If two are joined together to make an 8-car then of course it would then have two motors. Is there currently a difference in the spec of MU and locomotive motors from the likes of Dapol and Farish?

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2015, 09:41:51 AM »
Hi Brooksy,

I have no idea what individual motors cost but suspect in the quantities the manufacturers use it's a tiny fraction of the overall cost of the model.

My understanding is the cost of a motor is a function of the price of the raw materials, the time taken on design and the process of manufacture.

The specification will include the power expected, plus a notional figure for consistency and reliability.

The cheapest motors will be assembled quickly and with harsher tolerances. Thus their performance will be less consistent.  It's possible to get a nice smooth cheap motor, but if you're manufacturing hundreds of models, and want to do more than rely on pot luck for your customers, then you need to specify better consistency and reliability. This means at the factory the motors are assembled more carefully, and tested against your parameters.  These processes add to the unit cost.

This is why I don't think a low spec, high quality motor exists.  I'd be happy to be proved wrong though!

Cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:45:33 AM by Ben A »

ScottyStitch

« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »

I would buy one at £175. Two if the price was £125 or lower. Southeastern in my livery of choice but not bothered about choice of sub class.

One question I have is about motors. Is there a possibilty to have a high quality lower spec motor? The motor only has to be able to propel four carriages to a scale 90-100mph. Discounting the possibility of dummy units being produced, there is no reason to add extra carriages. If two are joined together to make an 8-car then of course it would then have two motors. Is there currently a difference in the spec of MU and locomotive motors from the likes of Dapol and Farish?

I wouldn't think that, on such a small run of models, £125 is realistic for this type of unit.  Using PostModN's research and forumla, from another related thread, a four car unit, even with only one powered unit calculates out at £168. Bear in mind that's based on larger production runs of already released models without the extra cost for a "niche" model factored in. Even adding a 1/4 for the premium, you're still looking at £200+

I would say build it right rather than build it cheap. The price will be what the price is for getting it right.

(To be clear, I mean "niche" in the sense that the manufacturers don't consider there are enough sales to justify a full blown launch.)

Offline Brooksy

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »
I would say build it right rather than build it cheap. The price will be what the price is for getting it right.

(To be clear, I mean "niche" in the sense that the manufacturers don't consider there are enough sales to justify a full blown launch.)

I've given my opinion on the effect of retail price on total number of sales a couple of times. We'll just have to disagree and I'll say no more on the matter :zippedmouth:

I'm still in for one at that price and looking forward to being proved wrong and receiving my electrostar  :claphappy:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
117% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal