!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Would you buy a crowd funded Pacer?

Yes, at least one Class 142 DMU
16 (22.9%)
Yes, at least one Class 143 DMU
7 (10%)
Yes, at least one Class 144 DMU
4 (5.7%)
Yes, two or more of at least one class of Pacer
16 (22.9%)
I love Pacers - at least one of any class of Pacer
7 (10%)
I hate Pacers but I'd still buy at least one of any class of Pacer
2 (2.9%)
No thanks; Not my region/Era
18 (25.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Class 142/143/144 Pacer - RevolutioN suggestion  (Read 6878 times)

Online acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
Re: Class 142/143/144 Pacer - RevolutioN suggestion
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
Steve,

Is bob on the money give dapol another year or so and then it may be an idea to approach them with a possible crowd funding package to get the models finally to market.

For most modern era modellers they are a must. Just suprised how time dapol are taking

Offline Jools

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 06:49:08 PM »
I've got a pre-order for a Dapol regional railways unit, but really I need need GMPTE orange and the latter GMPTE Black & Grey -
they say pre-orders haven't been high but I think they've killed a lot of potential pre-orders by restricting the Liveries to latter type

Just suprised how time dapol are taking

I'd put money on it at least partially being due to the potential problems indicated with the length of the wheelbase -

I've commented on this before but to me it really seems that back in 2011, Dapol said "we are gonna do this" just to get their name in the pot, and only then realised the technical challenge that modeling a unit such as the pacer in N would present:
  • A long wheel base unit with 2 fixed axles - essentially a powered VGA wagon, forming a unit that would probably sell well in "train set" form, so would have to navigate 9inch curves.
In 00, at least on the old model I remember as a kid, Hornby solved the wheelbase issue by having the center axles mounted on a pivot and the two cars were linked electrically to give 4 sets of pickups.
Given the comment from Dapol about "cool" features - I'd wonder if they've opted for something similar?

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »
Hornby have always played it safe with with long wheelbase rolling stock (or at least they did in the 80s when their 142 was released).. Their longer wagons (OAA, SAA, VIX) had axles that swivelled.

From what I can tell, the RealTrack class 143 has wheelsets that don't swivel but does have a coupling that expands going through curves.

It's a while since I last ran mine, but from memory the big problem with the Farish VGA is the gap between wagons (especially when propelling) rather than the long wheelbase. Fit them with a close coupling mechanism and they should be OK.

I've got a set of Worsley Works' etches for the class 142 and have been wondering if the two body shells could be mounted on a central motor "bogie", turning the model into a 1-Bo-1 (rather than the 1-A A-1 of the Hornby model).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Offline jivebunny

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 05:05:24 PM »
I've seen numerous mentions here of the fact that Dapol are only doing the later variants of the 142. Unless I'm missing something, the only CAD images I've seen actually show the early variant, with the "bus doors". Or is there more to the differentiate the two types than just the doors? I have two of these on order in Regional Railways livery, although I really would have preferred to see them in Provincial and Merseyrail liveries...

JB

Offline steam-driven boy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16277
  • 2mm Association Number: 4524
  • Hey! I'm just this guy, y'know?
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 07:03:57 PM »
Hi,
Certainly the original announcement - long since lost from the earlier version of the Dapol website - was that tooling would allow for different versions.  In response to a query 'elsewhere' I was able then to cut-and-paste from it the relevant quote:
...referred to on the webpage: "Different headcode panels and side doors are also being catered for in our design."

Obviously since then - 02 January 2011 - quite a lot has changed within Dapol, I've not seen anything in text form from Dapol updating on those specifications but remain hopeful, there are other images than the above in the 2014/15 catalogue which might be helpful  :hmmm:
http://www.ness-st.co.uk/pdf/Dapol%202014-15%20Catalogue%20N%20gauge%20section.pdf Page 35.

Regards, Gerry  8)
...being a bear of very little brain...
Solsbury Hill Layout: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6978.0

Offline jivebunny

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 02:23:11 PM »
I can't see why they'd backtrack and do themselves out of sales, particularly as (I think someone else has already mentioned it) they recently announced that the units would have some "cool" features. I suspect this may mean the usual close coupling and different-sized gangways as with their other units, but perhaps with only three doorways per vehicle they might also supply a pack of swap-out doors... But then perhaps they've just invented a way to have working DCC destination blinds in N  :bounce:

Two-axle pickup / drive in N shouldn't be that much of an issue in 2015, there are plenty of trams about and a couple of 0-4-0 tanks (I had a Tomix Percy at one point which was a particularly good runner), plus as has been said all that's needed is an electrical connection between the two vehicles to give it four-axle pickup.

Hornby managed a one-axle pickup / drive model 35 years ago, still works perfectly :claphappy:

JB

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »
...referred to on the webpage: "Different headcode panels and side doors are also being catered for in our design."

As the real things were refurbished the original roller destination blind was replace with an LED type panel. Compare the photos on this web page:
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_142

I'd have thought it would make sense for Dapol to connect the two halves of the unit together electrically. You'd double the number of wheels collecting power for the motor and it would only need one decoder. Given the length of the unit (~21cm), it'd need an slightly longer box but would be easier to manage than other units coupled semi-permanently like the Farish Voyager.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
I'd have thought it would make sense for Dapol to connect the two halves of the unit together electrically. You'd double the number of wheels collecting power for the motor and it would only need one decoder. Given the length of the unit (~21cm), it'd need an slightly longer box but would be easier to manage than other units coupled semi-permanently like the Farish Voyager.

Perhaps they could do like they have done on their own Voyagers, and use a magnetic coupling? This could potentially also be used to form an electrical connection, and wouldn't be as fragile as a permanent coupling is likely to be.

Pacers are one of those trains that very few people like (especially those of us who have the 'pleasure' of travelling on them regularly!), but which are sure to be popular with modellers as they have managed such a wide geographical range and a lot of liveries.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal