!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: North Hampshire preserved railway  (Read 9406 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: North Hampshire preserved railway
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2015, 06:43:28 PM »
Many congratulations on a job very well done! I look forward to admiring your work in the photos. to come.

Seconded! It's amazing what a Class 70 will do. Enjoy the wine. :beers:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »

Very pleased with the results so far and there are no obvious dog legs, steps (apart from code 55/85 transistions). All tested with a rake of 10 Mk1 coaches pulled/pushed by a class 70 (my age) finger and thumb!!

Excellent news, Bob, and I bet your thumb is better looking than a class 70 :-X
To heck with the pics - we need a video (I use Dropbox to upload and then post to the forum).

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »
I've had a clear up and taken a few photos of the recently completed track.
The layout is around 3 walls of a room about 10x9 feet and comprises a continuous loop around all three walls, a main terminus and goods yard in the centre section and another terminus/visible fiddle yard on the right hand section. Also, on the left hand section, there is a loco depot which will hold about a dozen locos. On the right hand side there is a small branch line station served by a bay platform from the main terminus.

The first picture shows the left hand part of the loop and the loco depot, the loop is mostly set track/code 80 streamline and will be hidden from view under a hill.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

The 2nd picture shows another view of the loco depot and you can see the head shunt right at the bank which serves all the roads to the main terminus and the goods yard.

The 3rd picture shows the main terminus and goods yard. It comprises a bay platform at the top (you can just see it) to serve the branch line. Next down are two long platforms with a run round facility. These roads will hold 9 coach trains if you want to use the run round or 11 coach trains if you don't use this facility.
The next road down is another passenger/goods platform and then there are a couple of goods sidings.
This main terminus section is very long and straight so I've decided to name the station 'STRAITWAYS'

The layout turns the corner to the right and heads to the return loop which is also set track/streamline and hidden mostly from view. At the bottom you can see part of the branch line station.

Finally the loop comes back to the throat of the second terminus which has two platform roads and four sidings. The bottom siding is made up of isolating sections to accomodate a number of locos. Originally this whole terminus and sidings was going to be a hidden fiddle yard. This turned out to be impractical as the track would be difficult to hide without restricting access unacceptably. So, now its a two road terminus with  a visible fiddle yard - i.e. sidings. Because of this the station will be called 'FIDDLERS VIEW'
At the bottom of the picture is a small branch called 'TWIGFORD' Well I expect you'd guessed it'd be called something like that.

Next steps are all related to fitting track droppers, isolating sections and basic wiring. The mimic panels are already built and working and you can see these on the photos.
 :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Looking good. :thumbsup: Now waiting for some movement! Your three mates on the windowsill look as if they are heavily into glue sniffing :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »
It's coming along very nicely, Austin. Being able to run full length express trains is a great benefit.

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
Looking good. :thumbsup: Now waiting for some movement! Your three mates on the windowsill look as if they are heavily into glue sniffing :D
Yeh! handsome fellas/gals aren't they. I think they've been waiting for a train for some time now Mito. They are, in fact, heads my misses uses to model her knitted hats.
 :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2015, 05:43:22 PM »
It's made their hair fall out !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2015, 05:45:21 PM »
It's made their hair fall out !
Yeh!! I'll have to tell misses to stop buying the cheap wool!
 :D

Bob Austin

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »

Very pleased with the results so far and there are no obvious dog legs, steps (apart from code 55/85 transistions). All tested with a rake of 10 Mk1 coaches pulled/pushed by a class 70 (my age) finger and thumb!!

Excellent news, Bob, and I bet your thumb is better looking than a class 70 :-X
To heck with the pics - we need a video (I use Dropbox to upload and then post to the forum).
OK NN
I've downloaded dropbox and I'm just figuring out how to use it.
I've also got to practise (is it practise or practice??) taking videos with my camera (Olympus OMD EM5) or my smartphone.
I'll get their eventually but you'll have to put up with still photos for a while.
 :beers:

Bob Austin

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
Well... I'm still here folks. It's been 3 years since I finished laying the track and it's taken me that time to do the wiring and testing - pretty major job that I kept putting off. However, after odd days of frenzied work, with long intervals in between, the wiring is completed and tested ok.
For the first time, I can now run trains round the complete layout. Time to play trains for a while and then I need to think about ballasting.
 :claphappy: :beers:

Bob Austin

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2019, 03:26:37 PM »
As per your previous post, I think we need a vid to have proof, Bob ;) :D

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2019, 04:24:15 PM »
Ok NN. I'll have to figure out how to load videos first. But... Priority is watching trains go round. What a treat. Current runner I'm watching is a new GWR flying banana.

Bob Austin

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »
Ok NN. I'll have to figure out how to load videos first. But... Priority is watching trains go round. What a treat. Current runner I'm watching is a new GWR flying banana.
Haven't figured out how to do videos on the NGS site but have downloaded video to NGS Facebook site until I figure out how to do it.
 :beers:

Bob Austin

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »
Easiest way to put videos on here is to upload to Youtube and then use the "Share" link.  Once you've got your link copied, click the "Youtube" button above and it will put the right tags into the post and then paste your copied link into the tags. 

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2019, 08:28:27 PM »
Bob - if you have uploaded your vid to Dropbox, hover the mouse over the name of the vid and you'll see a box called 'Share'. Click on that and you'll see 'Create Link'. Click on that. Then click on 'Copy Link', go to your post on the forum and just click 'Paste' and the link to your vid will be placed in the post.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything