!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: North Hampshire preserved railway  (Read 9878 times)

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
North Hampshire preserved railway
« on: January 06, 2015, 06:55:14 PM »
I have posted this in another thread but decided to start a new thread. - This is the layout I am working on at the moment. Plan done in AnyRail.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Ok - this is the plan. It represents a preserved railway with anything steam allowed to run on it and green diesel. - Oh and the Blue Midland Pullman of course!
The track is mostly Peco code 55 with the odd bit of code 80 radius 2 set track for the curves bottom left and right.

At the top is the main station with a a bay platform and associated goods yard further south.
Left is a small loco depot.
Right hand side is a preserved station under construction with storage sidings. This basically allows me to have a visible fiddle yard.
Also on the right is a small branch station served by the bay platform at the main station.

The two code 80 curves, at bottom left and right, will be hidden under a hill or such like. Minimum radius elsewhere is 12" for the points on the station under construction - other curves are minimum radius 15"

There are 3 baseboards, each removable, resting on a framework bolted to the wall and with legs at the front. Baseboards are 2ft wide and between 6 and 8 feet long This has been assembled for over a year now and nothing has moved - its all level and rock solid.

Each baseboard has its own mimic panel which operates points and isolating sections for the all DC operation. Main power wiring is attached to the frame and plugs into mimic panels using 4mm and 2mm individual connectors - nice and sturdy for frequent connection/disconnection.

The track is taken over baseboard boundaries using Fleischmann expandable track so I don't have to worry about matching up bits of track at the baseboard edges.

This construction and wiring method means that all the baseboards can be completely removed, with the mimic panels in place and with all the wiring intact (although being quite large they are fairly heavy but manageable. Alternatively they can be folded up on the frames and held in place by bracing pieces so wiring and assembly can be carried out easily without having to climb underneath the baseboards.

Baseboard height is about 42 inches I think. This means that I can easily reach things in the furthest corners standing up and get a really good view of the trains when sitting on a tall stool with a pint!!

When I start the scenery the plan is to have most of it fixed to removable assemblies - probably made of card or light ply - so that it can all be easily taken off to work on off the layout and to maintain the ability to  remove the baseboards without damaging scenery.

Just got to finish one mimic panel, wait for a few items to arrive from Gaugemaster - then off we go with the track.

Then wait for the constant stream of questions from me about - How do you do that?
 :NGaugersRule:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

ScottyStitch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: North Hampshire preserved railway
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »
Bob.......we need pictures :camera:

Bring on the pictures!

Oh and what are the dimensions, please and thank you 😊

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:57:56 PM »

Bring on the pictures!

Pictures to follow in the next few days once I've cleaned all the rubbish up.

Dimensions are, roughly:-

Across the top - about 10ft
Left hand side from the top about 6ft 6 inches there is a door in the bottom left corner of the room.
Right hand side from the top about 8ft 6 inches

Located in a spare bedroom - nice size for me but - its funny that you could always do with more space. Just as well the walls in bedroom are not easily moved!!
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

ScottyStitch

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:10:50 PM »

Bring on the pictures!

Left hand side from the top about 6ft 6 inches there is a door in the bottom left corner of the room.

Located in a spare bedroom - nice size for me but - its funny that you could always do with more space. Just as well the walls in bedroom are not easily moved!!

Thank you sir, watching with enthusiasm  :)

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 01:16:16 PM »

OK everything tidied up a bit so here are some pictures (they seem a bit fuzzier that the originals) of progress so far:-

So there are three baseboards with their own control or mimic panels and these provide all the isolated sections and point motor control for the associated baseboard. The baseboard supporting frame carries all the basic power supply wiring from the loco controller panel which plugs in to each control panel. That means all the baseboards can be completely removed without disturbing any wiring.

The picture of the top baseboard controller shows the control panel installed. The LHS and RHS show the panels not installed but resting on the associated baseboard.

There is a picture of the rear of the right hand control panel which shows the chocolate blocks around the edge for wiring to the baseboard isolation sections and point motors. A point position indicator circuit from 'Micro miniature circuits' is at bottom left. This allows the direction of the point to be indicated on LED's without any connection from the point. this saves a hell of a lot of wiring. The circuit remembers the last position set even if the power is turned off.

The final picture shows the RHS baseboard lifted from the framework and propped against the wall. I'm going to make up a couple of props to prevent having to lean the baseboard against the wall.

Baseboards are made from 9mm ply braced with the metric equivalent of 2x1 timber. The braces are approximately 12" apart length wise and where I think its needed, braced down the length of the baseboard. All the braces are screwed only (no glue) this gives me the flexibility to move some of the braces around if sods law indicates that they will be in the way of the point motors!

These baseboards supported by a very sturdy frame make a rock solid construction - its been in place now for 18 months or so without any movement and everything is still nice and level.

Next steps are to -

1.  Finish the wiring of the LHS control panel - not much to do there.
2.  Make some braces for the baseboards when they are lifted from the frame, so I can work on them safely 3.  without risk of damaging anything track side.
4.  Attach busbars at the back of each baseboard to connect with all the droppers from the track
5.  Get cracking on the track laying

So there we go - should be able to crack on with this next week.

Bob Austin

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »
Very neat work (and a very neat working area :goggleeyes:), Bob :thumbsup:
The only think I might suggest is you may want to pin some reflective foil underneath the board running over the radiator in case the heat warps anything :hmmm:

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:05:57 PM »
Very neat work (and a very neat working area :goggleeyes:), Bob :thumbsup:
The only think I might suggest is you may want to pin some reflective foil underneath the board running over the radiator in case the heat warps anything :hmmm:

That's a good idea. I think what I'll do is glue some foil to card and pin it under the frame. That means it won't get in the way of the wiring of the baseboard.
 :thankyousign:

Bob Austin

Offline Kettle

• N Gauge Society Number: 3777
    • www.bagladdies.weebly.com
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 08:36:15 AM »
Hi Bob, who are the three wise dummy's sitting on the window ledge ???

Good work so far, your wiring is up to REME standards I see :D

Regards, Kettle :beers:

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 09:42:20 AM »
Hi Bob, who are the three wise dummy's sitting on the window ledge ???

They're not dummies - that's my track laying gang all ready to go!!
 :laughabovepost:

Bob Austin

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 07:28:08 PM »
OK
All Mimic/control panels wired up and fully tested (at last)
Tomorrow I'm gonna make some braces to hold the baseboards up while I work underneath them at my leisure. Then I'm doing the bus wiring for the track and CDU's and then - starting next week - track laying begins.....
I'll keep you posted with more photos as things progress.
Happy Easter all!!
 :beers:

Bob Austin

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 05:44:30 PM »
OK - Track laying has commenced thanks to help and advice from the forum.
I printed out a 1:1 AnyRail plan and laid it out on my baseboards and have now started pinning the track to the baseboards over the plan.

I'm using Peco track pins with a 0.6mm pilot hole part drilled into 9mm ply baseboards and then driven home with a pin punch.
The tight radius curves and some of the attached track are code 80 and will be hidden from view. The rest of the track is code 55. Transitions from code 80 to code 55 require some packing under the code 55 as it is raised off the baseboard by about 0.7mm. So I have used a small piece of 0.7mm plasticard under the code 55 track at the connecetion with the code 80 and then a few inches away a 0.5mm packing and then a few more inches away a 0.25mm packing. This gives a nice gentle transition from code 80 to 55.
I'm just starting to get the hang of using flexitrack. Getting the curves is no problem but trimming the rails at the ends to the right length I find quite difficult. I cut the track with Xuron track cutters against a block of wood to keep the cutters vertical and to try and get both rails cut to the same length.
Points are laid with droppers for the live rails and frogs installed and a hole for the actuating lever drilled before pinning down.
The plan is to lay all the track first. This can be achieved without lifting the baseboards. Once the track is laid the baseboards can be elevated so I can do the wiring. I'll wire the continuous loop first so I can get some trains running.

This is gonna take a fair bit of time as the layout has quite a lot of track, but its nice to see things slowly taking shape.
 :beers:

Bob Austin

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 06:54:10 PM »
Looking good Bob.   :thumbsup:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »
Great to see progress being made.
Looking very good indeed.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 08:12:54 PM »
Great to see progress being made.
Looking very good indeed.

Couldn't have put it better.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 09:41:06 PM »
Very professional. Looking forward to seeing it progress. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations