!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poole DMU split gears - my solution  (Read 5265 times)

Offline bees

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28138
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Poole DMU split gears - my solution
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 11:55:33 AM »
I do hope Bob was willing to share his Mod!

Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:31 PM »
Hi Guys

I don't actually remember what the mod, since it was a while back that he actually described it. I just know that he's still doing something to get them going again. I don't think it's a drastic mod but the fitting of a gear.

Also, to be fair, I think he's entitled to keep that mod up his sleeve  ;)

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
It won't take too long for it to go public once someone pulls one of his repairs apart.....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 11:48:09 PM »
I don't think there's any big secret here.
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 11:53:26 PM »
I'm not sure there are too many options, actually:

- glue the gears on like you did
- fit an internal boss (as do presently) to standard gears to make them fit
- replace the motor (as I've done in the past) to remove the gearing stage in the block
- he has a source of new gears

Not sure I can think of any other ways to do this? Anyone got any other novel ways of sorting these - would be interesting to hear out of idle curiosity....

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 08:29:34 AM »
Personally though, I don't do this now as I've sold on all my old Poole versions and replaced with the vastly superior new-tool model.

Cheers,
Alan

Hi

Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee you won't have the problem. I got my class 150 out yesterday and on running it found it had a split gear on one of the axles.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Frank lax

• N Gauge Society Number: 6258
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
Hi DesertHound

I wouder if you could send me a copy of your usefull method for repairing 16 tooth gears as in gear towers.
I have at least one chassis that could do with some araldite.

Regards and thanks.

Frank Lax   fgil28@yahoo.co.uk

Best wishes for Christmas

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »
Hi Frank

I'll try and send you an e-mail after the holidays with some notes on what I did. Just to be clear though, I didn't repair any gears, but replaced them with new ones. I think once a gear has split it's unlikely you'll get it to mesh again properly, so really needs replacing. The issue with the DMU's is how you can attach the gears (since I'm not using the correct gear).

The opening post pretty much sums up what I did with the DMU. I think it's still subject to more rigorous testing, but so far so good.

Which models are you talking about? DMU's or other diesels (since you mention gear towers)?

Cheers

Dan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »
Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee you won't have the problem. I got my class 150 out yesterday and on running it found it had a split gear on one of the axles.

True - fortunately haven't seen any issues on my 101s to date, and hopefully with the thicker gears the instances of this should be much reduced over the bad old Poole days. However, spares should be easy to obtain; unlike the old units where there are none now to be had  :( .

Cheers,
Alan

Offline RussellH

• Trade Count: (+9)
    • Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »
Thought Id post this here as were doing "gears" and this is another "alternative" repair...

This is the pinion gear from a Trix 9F (meshes with the motors worm). It had snapped off two teeth when the valve gear trashed itself. Not an off the shelf part unless direct from Germany and then only as part of a full gear set - so with nothing to loose why not try a repair. Thats 0.8mm plastic rod, peg fitted and filed to shape - it works. The whole gear is ~6mm diameter.

Regards
Russ

Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 08:47:35 PM »
Russ

I can only say that you are a master at such things, and a true inspiration to those of us who wish to keep the older models going. Your work on that gear offers hope to those who have older models with unobtainable components and shows what can be done with a bit of imagination.

Like my fix on the DMU, there usually is a way!

Fix of the year in my book! Oh, hang on .... it's only the 1st today! Well, fix of the year in my book anyway!

Dan

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »
Thought Id post this here as were doing "gears" and this is another "alternative" repair...

This is the pinion gear from a Trix 9F (meshes with the motors worm). It had snapped off two teeth when the valve gear trashed itself. Not an off the shelf part unless direct from Germany and then only as part of a full gear set - so with nothing to loose why not try a repair. Thats 0.8mm plastic rod, peg fitted and filed to shape - it works. The whole gear is ~6mm diameter.

Regards
Russ

WOW!l  :goggleeyes: That must have took some patience ........Total dedication  :thumbsup:

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 09:48:44 PM »
Dave - he's known in other circles as The Jedi Master  8)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal