!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Voyager 220 - improving running  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Rabbitaway

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Dapol Voyager 220 - improving running
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Hi

My Dapol 220 has all the usual problems with heavy drag on the wheel sets. The thing struggles to push its own weight around the layout.

The lights flicker as well

Any good fixes to reduce the friction

If need be I can remove the lights pick ups if this helps but looking at the bogies it would seem the problem is in the a axle mounts

The model gets little use due to its poor running

Thanks

:-\

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Voyager 220 - improving running
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:28:40 PM »
Plan a)
- Bend the light pickups away from the end coach wheels (especially on the early ones with the crap body mounted pickups)
- Rub graphite or light mineral oil on the bogies where they run on the idle axles
- Run fine wires down the unit to drive the lights from the power car (also saving you two decoders)
- Add weight to the power car
- Loosen the couplings a shade on the power car and bogies adjacent to it - otherwise the lack of play can lift the power car away from the track
- Fit a sound decoder and honking big speaker in the other centre car so it at least sounds like a Voyager not a mini stuck in first gear

At that point it might run a bit better, although not great.

Plan b) Sell it as *rare* *long discontinued* on ebay and buy either the Farish one (nice, slightly iffy nose, but low top speed) or the Dapol 221 (very nice but hard to find)

The Farish bogies are not unfortunately available as spares otherwise that might be an interesting line of attack. Perhaps making new brass bogie centres would also help but it becomes a lot of work.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 08:17:17 PM »
All

A year later from the last post on this I realised that I never run my Dapol Voyager due to the poor running from friction drag in the bogies

So I dismantled the bogies and removed the pick ups for the lights and train is transformed. The lights were useless anyway as they constantly flickered!

It is a very nice model so it was a shame not to use it

:wave:

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »
Hi , good for you , I removed half the pick ups on an early 220 and on other tweaked them away a bit  all run well- got one of each ! I looked at one recently and comapred drag to 221 and Farish220 and not much in it  which surprised me. I have looked at remotoring with a quieter motor, but by stuffing some foam in the shell shut up the noise , the shell making a great sound box.
Recently commented to Dapol about a rerun and playing around with the chassis - if Dapol used the bush arrangement on the Western bogie it would be possible to make a step change in rollabitiy and using the 156 style low floor motor get empty interiors on all cars allowing see through glazing. Seems idea might take hold as it would be possible to mould windows in clear/slightly smoked plastic and only need 2 interior mouldings, first and a standard.
The inter car coupler open to offers with perhaps factory fitting of the magnetic coupler to the close coupler head vice the magnets which was an inspired move in its day but look a bit clunky today.   

Fun thing with real XC sets having a post incident reform 221135 is a 4 car and 220007 has 60885 inserted - a 221 car so it has the different bogies.   So been able to reform sets on layout using the XC intermediate car that was available on its own a while back.
Cheers
Robert   

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 09:42:08 PM »
Thanks Robert

I think my 220 is a later batch with the fine bogie mounted light pick ups but these did not sort the drag problems. I understand the early versions had body mounted pick ups but you can confirm

I did think about leaving pick ups on one bogie on the end cars but as I have an incline on the layout I just removed them all. As I said the lights flicker so not worth keeping

:thankyousign:

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 08:50:38 AM »
Rabbitaway,
Hi, I will check my first 220 - its in Wales and I am in Brum so it will be a week or so before I can confirm but I do not recall. Viz lights likewise - I had two 220s coupled and running at Warley show a few years back on Templedean pre conversion coupling days and do not recall lights a problem.  Certainly as it was an early effort lighting is quite "agricultural" compared to the tiny nano LEDS used today and an upgrade PCB would be an early start point. With the upper light the later 66 board might be a close fit... will have to have a play.

Hope the 220t keeps on giving pleasure
Robert 

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal