!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Choice of DCC system  (Read 46988 times)

Offline Graham Walters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
Re: Choice of DCC system
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2015, 04:10:10 PM »
I would disagree totally with the OP about the Hornby Elite system, as an entry system it has many features that so called top end controllers have and costs a lot less.

It is very simple to set up, programming decoders is easy, even using four digit numbers is possible, you can have up to 9999 loco's and 999 accessories running off the one controller.

Apart from that, you can double head, and the system will "learn" son if you want to, setting up a fully automatic layout is possible, and it's easy to produce a mimic system on your laptop with point and click point operation.

What more can you ask for in a system which costs under 100 ?

Sorry but Hatton's are charging 205 http://www.ehattons.com/17574/Hornby_R8214_DCC_Elite_unit_digital_controller/StockDetail.aspx

That price is a bit of rip off, probably because of demand, I got mine from local retailer, it cost me the sum of 88
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700  Closed 1300 - 1330 For Lunch
Sat 0900 - 1700  Closed 1300 - 1330 For Lunch

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2015, 05:14:50 PM »
No I have an Elite, I have also seen the Select, they are completely different, the select only allows up to 99 Loco's and you can't use extended ID's.
I was referring to the price ... RRP is about 226 whereas the Select is about 102.

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2015, 07:33:29 AM »
No I have an Elite, I have also seen the Select, they are completely different, the select only allows up to 99 Loco's and you can't use extended ID's.
I was referring to the price ... RRP is about 226 whereas the Select is about 102.

Have to offer sincere apologies about this, I must have had a total brain fart when I wrote my original post, my system is the E-Link, not the Elite.

:confused2: :confused2: :confused2:
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2015, 08:01:45 AM »
It must be caused by the awful shirt in your avatar :)

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2015, 05:13:47 PM »

Steady..... or I'll let SWMBO out of her cage !
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »

Shirt looks OK to me.
Geoff

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »
Have to offer sincere apologies about this, I must have had a total brain fart when I wrote my original post, my system is the E-Link, not the Elite.
No worries  :no:

Yeah ... needs white stripes adding, eh Bealman ?  :P
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:06:52 PM by MikeDunn, Reason: Fixed quotes »

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2015, 09:14:34 PM »
Ah the pride of Singapore ;)

Offline Mu17

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2015, 10:06:27 PM »
OK - I'm a newbie......
No layout as yet, one Kato Glacier Express and one older loco - all future locos will be new.

Advice from other parts of the forum has been to go DCC from the outset.
As I am allergic to complicated wiring and soldering - it was also suggested that DCC at least minimises that.

I've tried hard to identify my requirements and for my first simple attempts, its probably just being able to 'drive' around layout and also 'park' locos without needing isolating sections.

If all goes well, I might later consider modelling a complex station such as Interlaken Ost but I can't imagine needing more than 20 loco addresses.
A proposed narrow gauge rack section would have a need for 3 trains running simultaneously in each direction (6 in all) on a single track, with passing loops.

I will be modelling modern electric Swiss locos, so I am yet to be convinced sound is as useful/realistic/atmospheric as steam............ thoughts on that ?

As computers are not my thing, I can't imagine going down the automatic control avenue.
Even so I fly radio controlled gliders using a computer enhanced transmitter, so from experience I've found that there is a limit to the amount of buttons I can handle at any one time.

Whilst I appreciate that a typical DCC handset can control not only the locos but also all lights and turnouts, for one man operation I don't think that approach is for me - probably a panel would suit me better.

Thoughts on that ?

If I restrict DCC handset control to loco, lights and possibly sound (convince me !) -any thoughts on what make might suit me best - especially as I have a smallish hand.

I am aiming to go visit DCC Supplies in Worcester for a look at their systems but I would like to narrow the field as much as possible before that. Incidentally do folk consider their one day SCC introductory workshop is worth doing ?

Paul

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2015, 10:21:23 PM »

A proposed narrow gauge rack section would have a need for 3 trains running simultaneously in each direction (6 in all) on a single track, with passing loops.
Paul

That will be a nightmare for the operator ! especially if you don't use automatic control.

You will need some kind of system that means the loco's react to signals, not impossible, but it will mean that the wiring will be bit more complicated.
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2015, 10:22:41 PM »
Whilst I appreciate that a typical DCC handset can control not only the locos but also all lights and turnouts, for one man operation I don't think that approach is for me - probably a panel would suit me better.

Thoughts on that ?

Exactly what I use DCC for ;) Separate switch panel for points - much quicker to look and flick a switch than remember addresses for points.

If I restrict DCC handset control to loco, lights and possibly sound (convince me !) -any thoughts on what make might suit me best - especially as I have a smallish hand.

I have fairly small hands too (for a bloke), comes from years building and working on Minis I reckon where small hands with quadruple-jointed fingers are a necessity :D I use a Prodigy Advance2 and find it comfortable and easy to use, they also do a simpler (cheaper) version called the Prodigy Express. Either this or the NCE Powercab would be my recommendation for decent uncomplicated systems, but final choice will be down to what you find pleasing when you try them :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2015, 10:44:04 PM »
I use digitrax and it can be as simple or as complicated as you like... Here are my controllers (the big one is for Ben A who is about to learn DCC!!!) mine is the slimline multi buttoned thingy me jig i picked up off ebay at a snap of 60 however it is much the same as the one Sprintex talks about :D

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Each one is able to control all turnouts and all signals as well as a multitude of other things I havent yet read about! As you can see from the larger one it has a convenient power handle whereas the more complicated unit controls two locos at once with the knobs at the top :)

Offline Mu17

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2015, 11:11:25 PM »
Hi Paul,
          ah, so I'm on the right track  ::) with separate panel control for turnouts/signals.
Ta for the suggestions NCE/Prodigy Advance.
Cost isn't critical but I don't want to pay for technology I wont use/need - so whats the downside of the Prodigy Express ?

Graham,
            its a big IF but if I can crack narrow gauge on a 1 in 5 gradient, my aim is to replicate the running of the Wengernalpbahn on busy days when you can see 2 or 3 trains running in convoy and the opposing traffic tightly packed into the passing loops. This would be a later and separate project to a more normal and sensible mainline layout !

I had assumed that with DCC this could be adequately controlled - but looks like I could be wrong ?
Its far from an immediate issue - unless it impacts on the choice of a DCC system.
But how would one actually set up an automatic system ?  How would it control the locos ? bring each one to a predetermined halt location ?

OnlyMe
           I quite like the look of the power handle - how easy is it to switch from one loco to another ?
Paul

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2015, 11:18:52 PM »
Hi Paul,
          ah, so I'm on the right track  ::) with separate panel control for turnouts/signals.
Ta for the suggestions NCE/Prodigy Advance.
Cost isn't critical but I don't want to pay for technology I wont use/need - so whats the downside of the Prodigy Express ?

The Express cannot control signals and points without upgrading, but it is half the price of the Advance2 ;)

Paul

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2015, 11:25:46 PM »
Wow all the Pauls on here tonight!

Basically you press the loco button put in the loco dcc number. Press loco again and its in control from the power handle!! The beauty of digitrax is you can attach it in a modulat fashion, to do what you want with dcc you would need block detection... Search the forum for my TORMOUTH Layout thread to get an idea..

Cheers Paul!

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal