!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N Scale GB DCC Fitting Guide Links  (Read 34173 times)

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Re: N Scale GB DCC Fitting Guide Links
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »
Hi all

I notice that many of the links in post one are now dead, any chance they could be updated if working links are available

Thanks

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2018, 08:55:37 AM »
Most of them pointed to the various manufacturers websites but regrettably Dapol withdrew all their data and the Bachmann Farish website is currently being rebuilt, some of the guides are on here I believe in pdf form, put a shout out if you are after any particular install.

Offline Jordash

• N Gauge Society Number: 25630
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2018, 08:17:04 PM »
I hope it's OK to add a link here, I've just finished the video of my conversion of a Graham Farish 57xx Pannier Tank Engine. Hopefully it's useful to someone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_l6RUdKXm0

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:57:47 PM by Railwaygun »

Offline KevinG

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »
I am new here, so please forgive me if this question has been answered numerous times before; just getting back into this after a long gap. 

I have a Farish Class 33 still in its box and so wondering whether to stick to the 'old school' wired track and controller or go down the DCC route for a small layout.  if the later, how easy is it/worth while installing a chip in this diesel.  I saw some links at the start of this thread but they don't seem to work.

Thanks

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »
Hi Kevin :wave: and welcome aboard! :wave:

I can't speak of the GF Class 33 specifically. But a lot depends on how well you can wield a soldering iron. Not very well in my case, but I managed to chip a GF Class 170 (bought specially to test my soldering Fu) without too much trouble.

I doubt you'll have to wait very long before someone comes along with a better answer. :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2019, 09:51:01 PM »
For one single train on one small layout,  probably not worth the bother. Two trains, slightly more complex layout with a run round, and a couple of sidings, way more fun. Its much easier to run two trains head on into each other using DCC, not that I would recommend that, but it is fun to watch other people doing it with their locos.
The loco is probably the least of your worries. If you have even a small layout using DC then the wiring can become massively complex although it doesnt have to. It is in theory less complicated to wire a DCC layout as there is no need need to create separate sections of track. Having said that DCC layouts can easily be very complicated. You are probably best to see layouts in action and ask the operators about their chosen method of control. Visit an exhibition and talk to operators or visit a local club and talk to members.
Hope this helps
Kirky
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 09:52:14 PM by kirky »
Northallerton will make its next public appearance sometime after LOCKDOWN

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline KevinG

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2019, 09:26:06 AM »
Thanks both for your replies.

I went to the Epsom and Ewell exhibition last week where my interest was rekindled, but didn't ask that question Kirky.  I have wired DC layouts years ago to create separate sections of track.

Assuming I may wish to extend the layout at some point and/or add engines as space allows, it might be worth investing, although the price of the DCC controllers themselves looks adverse, but has anyone seen a link to installing the chip in this or similar engines.

Kevin

Offline Railwaygun

• N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2019, 02:14:55 PM »
Thanks both for your replies.

I went to the Epsom and Ewell exhibition last week where my interest was rekindled, but didn't ask that question Kirky.  I have wired DC layouts years ago to create separate sections of track.

Assuming I may wish to extend the layout at some point and/or add engines as space allows, it might be worth investing, although the price of the DCC controllers themselves looks adverse, but has anyone seen a link to installing the chip in this or similar engines.

Kevin

a Google search for Farish class 33 DCC fitting found a number of links including

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/381-graham-farish-split-chassis-dcc-guide/

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:23:45 PM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline nookfield

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »
Bachmann have produced two guides themselves for fitting decoders to there locomotives

Part 1 covers DCC ready and DCC sockets

http://service.bachmann.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/DCC_N_part1.pdf

Part 2 covers fitting to split chassis design

http://service.bachmann.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/DCC_N_part2.pdf

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2019, 05:34:41 PM »
Hi all
I haven't been around for a looooong time, I started my own business, and that takes a lot of time, although I am now far happier and less stressed.

Reason for posting-My Dad has asked me to chip some of his loco's for him. I have done lots of 00 gauge in the past, and understand the principles etc. Digihats, I get, my issue is the crossover models, where they have complicated wiring, and lots of diodes for directional lighting etc, but are not chip ready. I have two Farish diesels, and one Dapol 66 to do for him. I have dcc28 chips which should fit no problem. The Farish ones have a full length circuit board, with lots of solder points, and I am not sure if I just need to cut certain connections and add wires from the chip? I'll post pics and maybe someone can help.

Tha Dapol 66 is simpler, the wire from chassis to motor is self explanatory, so I can wire that side of things. The issue is the directional lighting, which is all run off brass connections from the roof down to the simple circuit board. Can someone point me to a guide, or explain how to wire the lights in to the chip?

Any help will be hugely appreciated. I managhed a poole chassis 08 and a voyager without any problems.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2019, 06:39:18 PM »
The Farish loco's have 2 clips on the right hand side of the PCB. You need a 7 wire DCC decoder, remove the clips and there are 7 contacts that you solder to. There should be instructions in the box explaining which contact is which.

Don't know about the Dapol one though, all my Dapol locos have a 6 pin socket.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2019, 07:27:01 PM »
Thank you!

I did some hunting around after I posted. I found a fitting guide I printed off before the farish website went kaput. That gave me the colours for the numbered contacts. I had heard of this way of doing it but had not actually cottoned on to the fact that the little brass or silver bits were the clips! Once I removed those it became a bit more obvious.

From what I can find out, the Dapol one is a nightmare to get lights working, but is very simple to motorise, so my Dad has said don't worry about the lights. It does seem a shame, but you have to remove all the original circuitry and basically start from scratch, so it's more than I really feel like learning how to do.

Interesting fact that may help others, the chips he got me were 6 wire, but the 8 pin plug they came with has the red track wire bridged across two pins, so I bridged it to the blue pin on the loco, and it makes the lights work. They are switchable, and stay on even when the loco is stationary, so a 7 pin is not a necessity.

Matt

Offline GPHolmes

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2020, 05:00:15 PM »
Hi All, A quick and you can call it silly question but I do not want to assume, so would I be correct in saying that for the motor wiring the Orange and Grey, a positive voltage on the orange should equate to forward motion ?
That's it.
Many thanks
Regards
Gordon

Offline GPHolmes

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2020, 05:23:40 PM »
Greetings All.
Another question, does anyone know the decoder settings for a coreless 0816D motor on a CT Elektronik SL76.
Thanks all.
Regards
Gordon Holmes

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »
Hi All, A quick and you can call it silly question but I do not want to assume, so would I be correct in saying that for the motor wiring the Orange and Grey, a positive voltage on the orange should equate to forward motion ?
That's it.
Many thanks
Regards
Gordon

I haven't got a clue about the wiring polarity, but programming CV29 bit 0 will fix the problem if the loco runs backwards.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal