!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: James St-exhibition layout  (Read 19411 times)

Offline Graham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
Re: James St-exhibition layout
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2019, 08:13:33 AM »
just caught the video of James St at the GCR event last weekend. Will have to ensure my next trip to the UK coincides with a showing of this wonderful layout, have to see it in the flesh again so to speak. well done all.
cheers
Graham

Offline Southerngooner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2019, 10:40:24 AM »
That was impressive Graham, we got the message on the Forum as we were leaving the show! There are several videos of the weekend, and the running on most is good, although a few trains seem to have been a bit enthusiastically drive at times.

The GCR event was one of the best we have been to, both in terms of layout operation (no major problems and most things ran well) and also for comments on the layout. We are also getting popular with the magazines too. After the RM article last year there will be a series of follow ups including one in September to tie in with TINGS.  Model Rail have taken photos (in Steve’s garage so not of the whole layout unfortunately) which will also be out for September, and Steve did a video interview for a future BRM DVD which should come out next year. They are scheduled to take photos at TINGS too. Finally, Hornby magazine came looking for photos too but we will have to see how that will work.

Steve is finally getting the plaudits he richly deserves for such a great layout in my view. It’s great being part of the operating team and to hear the praises from visitors. Long may it continue!

Dave

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2019, 12:02:15 PM »
There are some more photos of the layout accompanying an article which Dave/Southerngooner and I wrote in the September 'Railway Modeller'.

The next exhibitions we are invited to are TINGS in September, and Spalding in November. We had been invited to Shoebury/Southend in November, but this show has been cancelled by the organisers for this year.

Martyn

Offline Southerngooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2019, 10:39:39 AM »
I've updated the James Street website today with our new exhibition bookings. We are going to be busy next year, with eight shows to attend, and five already in the pipeline for 2021. Next year sees us travel north to Wigan, west to Swansea, south to Portsmouth and east to Canterbury, so we will get to see a fair bit of the country!

Steve is beavering away with more detailing on the layout, plus getting ready to renew three control panels to simplify wiring next summer. Martyn  and I continue to build more stock, and I really must get on with the signals.....

We've had a few articles published in the Railway Modeller, and are due articles in Model Rail and BRM in coming months, so the name is finally getting out there. Steve deserves the recognition after making such a fine layout!

We hope to see you at one of our future shows, please come up and make yourself known. The next show is TINGS.........

Dave 

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2019, 10:48:07 AM »
thank you for that

look forward to meeting at tings and having a close up study and a conversation. safe travelling and hope that you receive a positive response

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2019, 07:54:27 PM »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. Just checked your site and it says the Portsmouth booking is April 4th and 5th 2020. Just checked the Portsmouth FC fixture list and we (Pompey) are playing Bristol Rovers so think I'll make a long day out of it.

You probably wont remember me, I think you were there, but tried to help set up on a Friday in Farnborough (I think) this year but was about as useful as (can't think of a clean one) but something that's not very useful and probably just got in the way.

I was supposed to come back on the Sunday to see the the layout in action (and then help  :no: disassemble but couldn't) so looking forward to seeing the layout in all it's glory.

Also looking forward to the port extensions and Martyn's ships.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline Southerngooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »
Hi Chris

I certainly do remember you from Farnham last year. You did well to help us in setting up, and we had looked forward to seeing you on the Sunday, but it wasn’t to be. We look forward to seeing you in April!

Save

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2019, 08:57:12 AM »
Thanks Dave,

Slight problem for me in that I just realised that April 4th is the day of N Gauge Southeast 2020 in Reigate so as long as I can get it past my good lady, I think I'll sack the football (there are other games) and go to Reigate on the Saturday and down to you on the Sunday.

It's a long way away so have plenty of time to think of excuses. One day's railways is fair enough but two maybe stretching it. I might have to bring her with me and treat her to lunch at Port Solent. I'll be saving on the football ticket so not so bad.

Sorry for clogging up your thread but hope to see you next year.

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2019, 12:42:01 PM »
Hello again Chris;

Dave's an Arsenal supporter-its a bit difficult for him to get to matches from France! You can always see another game...……

I'm still building four more ships (one about half done), but Steve is updating and simplifying some of the control panels before he does much to the dock extension. But its all drawn out on paper, and he has much of the trackwork needed for building it. He is also working on getting buses running on the roads via a Faller, or more probably, a Tomix method.

Hope that your own ships are coming on!

Martyn

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. Just checked your site and it says the Portsmouth booking is April 4th and 5th 2020. Just checked the Portsmouth FC fixture list and we (Pompey) are playing Bristol Rovers so think I'll make a long day out of it.

Bristol Who?
Best avoided Chris, at all costs!

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2019, 01:52:00 PM »
Chris;

Not sure what your football fixtures will be, but looking ahead, we are booked at Epsom in April 2021, and Woking in September 2021.

I think these will be closer to home!

martyn

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2019, 04:22:09 PM »
Blimey, I'll probably be in the big pub in the sky by then (or the Devil's Cellar?). I believe you can smoke in both  ;) but thank you.

Seriously, the Woking one sounds good as I mainly work in Ottershaw just down the road.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2019, 12:17:50 AM »
So Southend is definitely cancelled then?

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2019, 06:16:41 AM »
Yes, Southend/Shoebury in November is cancelled by the organisers.

Martyn

Offline Southerngooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: October 04, 2019, 02:59:06 PM »
Hi

I have updated the "James Street" website today with our latest exhibition bookings, plus a page giving links to videos of the layout taken at various shows this year. The website can be found at https://dwanddrc.wixsite.com/james-street if you haven't seen it already.

Enjoy!

Dave

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here