New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: James St-exhibition layout  (Read 13003 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: James St-exhibition layout
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
Wow! Magnificent!

Offline grid078

• N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
Evening all

Had a running session today on James St, actually it was more of a refresher course, having not been near the layout for the best part of six months. Steve has kindly modified part of the track work again so it was back to basics for me and a tutorial in operation. Think we should be okay now and just in time for Warley in three weeks.

Below are a few more photos, sorry for the quality of some of them they are taken on a camera phone and not the usual DlLSR.

Regards Stuart

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2017, 09:45:26 PM »
Excellent, and good luck for the show :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2017, 09:49:38 PM »

Seconded! Many thanks, Stuart for another very good set of highly realistic looking photos.

Online martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2017, 08:08:02 PM »
Stuart has added about an extra ten photos to those added here today taken on 4/11/17 on our joint Saneham Tey/James St website;

https://sanengauge.wixsite.com/classic-layout/james-street

He hopes to put some more taken at Billericay up later.

Note that the control panel is that for the middle level two track main line; there are also two similar panels for the lower terminus and dockyard, and another one for the upper four track main line.

One problem when taking photos is that the layout only (just) fits one way around in Steve's hobby room, so when it is in there , only pictures of the front-James St terminus and good yard-are easily obtained. Photos of all the other sides have to be taken when setting up or between days at exhibitions-hence some of the photos having little stock on display. We hope to get more photos, and possibly video, of the rest of the layout at Warley and subsequent exhibitions confirmed so far in 2018; Erith in January, Bristol in May, Southwold in August, and Farnham in October. Others may be in the pipeline.

Martyn

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:11:24 PM by martyn, Reason: correction »

Offline Southerngooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »
James Street will also feature in Railway Modeller some time next year, once they have taken photos at Bristol, and there will be a two page preview, using the photos taken at Basildon, in the December 2017 issue.

Offline grid078

• N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2017, 10:42:16 PM »

Seconded! Many thanks, Stuart for another very good set of highly realistic looking photos.
Chris in Prague I'm not the one to thank, Steve is, its all his hard work I merely photograph what's presented and try to do the layout justice, but due to the enormous size of James St a lot of it is unreachable to photograph without destroying scenery, some of those views can't even be seen by the public as they are only visible from the centre operating well.
Time is a precious thing at exhibitions, trying to photograph whilst the rest of the team is erecting and stocking the layout is a nightmare, for all those pictures published i can guarantee there is four or five times more that are unsuitable.
 Upcoming shows/exhibitions will be advertised through the website as well so please keep an eye out there too, but I'm sure Dave will continue to post exhibition dates on here.
 Enough waffle hope to see some of you in the future.

Regards Stuart

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2017, 08:27:48 AM »
Thank you, Stuart. All kudos indeed to Steve for all his hard work on this magnificent layout but, without your photos. those of us unable to see the layout in real life would not be able to admire it. So, to all concerned, please, do keep up the good work.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2017, 02:08:51 PM »
James Street will also feature in Railway Modeller some time next year, once they have taken photos at Bristol, and there will be a two page preview, using the photos taken at Basildon, in the December 2017 issue.

Nice 2 page 'teaser' in this months Railway Modeller with more to come mid 2018 :thumbsup:

Offline Dugard

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2017, 08:23:59 PM »
Have returned from the Warley Show and would like to express my admiration for this wonderful layout. It kept my nephew and I enthralled for some time on all four sides with plenty of scenic detail to admire as well as the number and variety of trains running.  Thank you.

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »
Wow! I was head over heals on Saturday, and can safely say you have set the benchmark for n gauge layouts. The layout appeared to operate smoothly throughout the day. It was amazing to watch - Looks like a logistical nightmare to operate! Keep up the good work!

Offline Southerngooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2017, 11:42:04 AM »
Thanks to all who enjoyed James Street at Warley. It was our first show with a full operating team of seven people and it was the best show ever for running and reliability. Steve deserves every bit of success for his long term approach and dedication to building such a great layout. Iím just happy to be his friend! The two awards the layout won (Calvert Cup and RM trophy) were well deserved in my view. It was a very tiring weekend, leaving home at 8am on Friday and getting home at 1.40am on Monday morning, but well worth it. There were few derailments or loco failures, just a few minor coupling tweaks but given the size and complexity of the layout I think that is remarkable.
Iím looking forward to next years shows (Erith in January, Bristol in May, Southwold in August and Farnham in October) so hope to meet some forum members there. Back home to France on Wednesday for a bit of relaxation!&

Online martyn

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2017, 08:12:45 PM »
I echo Dave's praise for Steve's dedication and vision in creating this layout.

It was good to hear so many comments from visitors who enjoyed the layout; Stuart will be sorting out some photos to go on the Forum, and more on our joint website later this week.

Can I ask any of you who took video and then put it on Youtube or whatever to post us the link, please? It would nice to see what we look like from the other side of the fence!

It was also nice to meet some forum members who introduced themselves, and, once again, thanks for the comments. We hope to see you at our exhibitions already booked (see Dave's post) and some which we had enquiries about when at Warley.

Martyn

Online martyn

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2017, 08:29:23 PM »
For anyone interested, I've found a nine minute film on YouTube filmed at Basildon in July this year, when we were VERY short staffed......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ9Zl59xRCI

It is amazing to see the extra work that Steve has done in that short time!

Martyn

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2017, 08:40:29 PM »
Oddly enough I was just watching the layout on Youtube.

From 6:45 in https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tuHR3JrD8U4

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything