New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: James St-exhibition layout  (Read 13007 times)

Offline Southerngooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: James St-exhibition layout
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 07:57:19 AM »
Surprisingly no, it only takes two people around an hour and a half to set up and get running. Steve has designed it really well, with transporting tables for all components, and you set the whole frame up before sliding the boards on, which keeps it light and rapid. Stock is held in cassettes which can then be loaded on in whole rakes, so that is another 30 minutes or so. All boards are plywood and frames are a mix of ply and 2 x 1. I'll find out exactly what it takes in a few weeks when we exhibit at Romford......

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2016, 09:39:56 AM »
Thanks for the info. about the LMS diesel 'twin'. Now, if only someone made a kit for the SR design diesel triplets.

Offline Ian Morton

• Ebay
    • Modelscape
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »
Surprisingly no, it only takes two people around an hour and a half to set up and get running. Steve has designed it really well, with transporting tables for all components, and you set the whole frame up before sliding the boards on, which keeps it light and rapid. Stock is held in cassettes which can then be loaded on in whole rakes, so that is another 30 minutes or so. All boards are plywood and frames are a mix of ply and 2 x 1. I'll find out exactly what it takes in a few weeks when we exhibit at Romford......

It would make an interesting photo sequence if someone could capture it without getting lynched by the rest of the team.

Offline Southerngooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2016, 12:41:54 PM »
Chris in Prague - I would be in the queue for any of the Southern diesels too!

Ian - I will try and get a few photos at Romford next month.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2016, 08:17:09 PM »
https://youtu.be/Wpc8JF4RSLg

Go directly to 12:00mins, do not pass go, do not collect 200.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2016, 09:11:44 PM »
Wow! :goggleeyes:
 :thankyousign:

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2016, 09:18:03 PM »
wow from me too!

what a layout!

did i see some tram lines in the video???

:greatpicturessign:

:ngauge:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »
Wow! :goggleeyes:
 :thankyousign:

I've just realised the 'Thank You' smiley has impaled the 'goggleeyes' one in my reply above :oopssign:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2016, 09:33:10 PM »
https://youtu.be/Wpc8JF4RSLg

Go directly to 12:00mins, do not pass go, do not collect 200.

Thank you, very much. A very fine collection of Ferry Vans in one train including several BR Ferry Vans, a model I'd love to make one of.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2016, 09:59:18 PM »
All very welcome.

Glad I stumbled across it. Incredible layout.

Offline Southerngooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
OK, as promised here are some shots of the layout being erected. The first two included with this post show half an hour in, and an hour in. I'll put another post on with the 1.5 and 2 hour shots!
It is fair to say things did not go as planned on Friday evening....... The first problem was the short time for setting up on Friday, only 2.5 hours, which put Steve and I under pressure straight away. We got everything into the hall OK, the frames went up well, but when we started to put up the brand new pelmet, it soon became clear it needed a bit more work, so that went back into the trailer after 30 minutes of wasted work! We got all the boards onto the frames and some bolted together by the time we had to leave.
Some early morning work on Saturday saw the layout up and running in time for the start of the exhibition, but electrical gremlins meant the terminus could not be used to it's full potential as there were major problems with a number of key points. We had to resort to a shuttle service with a Blue Pullman and DMU......

Other than that the layout generally ran well and we got some good comments. It was all packed away just over two hours after the show.

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »
That looks really good, thanks for Sharing

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
Scottystitch;
Thanks for the filming link. Why didn't you introduce yourself, as three of us (at least) are on this forum; Southerngooner (Dave-ought to be Frenchgooner now), Stuart (Grid078), and me (Martyn).
Stuart also took a series of still photos when we were almost set up, and with most of the stock on the rails. No doubt he will be posting them here in due course.
Chris in Prague; the Harwich-Temple Mills ferry van train is a mixture of one Mill sidings kit, a Shapeways 3D print of a German van (to 1;148); the reefers are Lima/Fleischmann; the stake wagon Fleischmann; and the rest are scratchbuilt by myself, and represent more VIXs, a Czech van, Transfesa, and the grey one is an older Belgian van. I really need transfers for the Belgian and Tranfesa vans-the German one has transfers available from Germany.
Blue depot-there are indeed tram lines, but as yet are still on the 'to do' list. Steve is converting some RTR trams and buses to work semi-independently, probably on DCC. The main layout is analogue (it took Steve 45' just to plug the wiring bundles in!).
The two ships have been referred to when discussing Port Perran on these pages; one is a 'Shell Welder' with etched replacement parts, another is a 'Shell Welder' hull converted to a general cargo ship, which still has some detailing and finishing off to do; and the third is a Heller Breton Trawler converted over 20 years ago, initially by Steve and then finished by myself.
As Dave said, we had a few gremlins, and it is still a big learning curve for all us operators. I think the next scheduled outing is Billericay on 6th May 2017, then next confirmed is Warley 2017. Others may-or may not-be in the pipeline...
Hope you all enjoyed the show or the video.
Martyn
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 01:24:11 PM by martyn, Reason: Extra info »

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 08:41:13 PM »
Saw this layout at Romford on Saturday and voted it 'best in show'. It really is terrific and some parts are at a height where you can appreciate the trains. The running was good so it was a great advert for N-gauge. It really does deserve to be at the major exhibitions.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 08:57:02 PM »
Many thanks, Martyn, for the details about the the Harwich-Temple Mills ferry van train. Alas the Mill Sidings BR VIX Ferry Van kits seem to no longer be available. I am aware of the (pricey) Shapeways BR VIX Ferry Van body but it needs a chassis. However, I'd love to have at least one. I was not aware of the Shapeways 3D print of a German van (to 1;148); nor the Lima/Fleischmann reefers (do they come up on eBay ever?); is the Fleischmann stake wagon a true ferry wagon or a look-alike DB domestic one? (I use some domestic DB goods stock as ferry stock). An article about how you scratch-built the ferry wagons would be very interesting, especially the VIXs, the Czech van (living in Prague I'd also love to make one of these) and the "Transfesa" one which I remember seeing near Liverpool Street back in the 1970s.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here