!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: James St-exhibition layout  (Read 21862 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: James St-exhibition layout
« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2019, 05:33:37 PM »
We have also found that in general, the 'Peaks' are very slow running, even at full throttle, which is about 8-9V max. My Peak is no better on dcc.

Peaks (and split chassis class 40s) commonly suffer from internal bogie gearing that's slightly stiff on the stub axles - freeing this up generally helps.

Also, commutator clean and slot clean out can help as well.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2019, 05:35:06 PM »
Thanks, Alan.

I'll try that.

Martyn

Online martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2019, 06:09:40 PM »
Just thinking about it, the only serious failure when at exhibitions I've had with my own locos is a B1 shedding its right hand valve gear. The rivet holding the combination lever on sheared, and it all fell off. It still ran, but it didn't look good...…….changed for a new set of valve gear from BR Lines.

Steve had a couple of problems when testing at home when he had a stray voltage from somewhere zap a couple of motors, but when he traced the wiring fault, no problems since.

Steve also has a big problem, with his BR class 4 2-6-0. The electrical continuity between loco and tender via the drawbar is very poor. He has tried 'hard wiring' the two together, but its still not very good. In contrast, my own mogul runs very well. He has also hard wired some J39s and B1s, I think, but mine are OK as standard.

When trialling yesterday, it was noted that my chip fitted 108 was very slow. I changed the chip for a blank today, running it at 8.5V and it ran OK again; I then tried a different make of chip (TCC, I think) and it also runs OK with this chip fitted on 8.5V. if it doesn't like Steve's controllers when chipped, I'll put the blank back in.

Martyn

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:12:50 PM by martyn, Reason: Extra info »

Offline Southerngooner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2019, 05:05:31 PM »
The next edition of BRM out on 3/1/20 will have a full length article on “James Street”, accompanied by some excellent photos taken by Andy York at TINGS. We hope you enjoy it.....!

As an aside to Martyn’s comments on the recent loco maintenance session it seems that all the 3MT BR standard tanks we own have a problem with slow running. They will run round all day but don’t like crawling along or complicated pointwork. I bought one recently secondhand and haven’t had a good chance to work on it, but it will form the basis of an N2 being built by Martyn from an Atso print. I hope a good strip down and the removal of the valve gear will make for improved running......

Dave

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2020, 07:07:51 PM »
The next edition of BRM out on 3/1/20 will have a full length article on “James Street”, accompanied by some excellent photos taken by Andy York at TINGS. We hope you enjoy it.....!

Dave

Dave - I shall look out for that - should be a good read! Happy New Year to the James Street crew and looking forward to seeing the layout at one of the shows in 2020!
Darren
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »
I don't like to blow our own trumpet, but having seen this in the magazine, I'd say that Andy York's photos are stunning...………I'll have to get a copy for a keepsake.

I hope that those who read it will agree.

Martyn

Offline Ensign Elliott

• N Gauge Society Number: 27962
    • Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »

For anyone interested, the crane is one of eight I have built. As mentioned on another post is a hybrid of a Faller/Kibri base with Scale link jib etched brass jib and a modified Scale link cab. The Scale link crane is designed with an unusual arrangement where the jib pivots up and down; I changed the cab orientation 90 degrees, but I decided against an even greater modification as it would have involved cutting off the frame which is now at the back of the crane cab and mounting it on the roof. I thought discretion was the greater part of valour...…..

I've taken the plunge and bought a Scale Link jib to make something similar for my layout.

I'm having real difficulty bending the sides of the jib correctly however - the corners keep "rounding" rather than being nice 90 degree angles. This then distorts the entire jib.

How did you make yours so neat?

Online martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2020, 02:35:03 PM »
Hi;

I've answered your query on your thread about making crane jibs.

hope it helped.

martyn

Online martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2020, 10:34:57 AM »
We had a very enjoyable weekend at Canterbury, and hope that any of you who saw us enjoyed it as well. An electrical gremlin for a short while on Saturday afternoon, and we were a bit short staffed on Sunday due to a family emergency. Towards the end of Sunday afternoon, we were doing request trains for a very enthusiastic younger member of the visitors...…….

The new control panels worked well, after the Grid 078/Stuart and Southerngooner/Dave got used to the new orientation of them. Next modification will be, probably, a new lighting system, as the current spotlight pattern is too patchy.

My latest ship model was on view in the harbour; named 'Corsair', it is a VERY kit bashed Revell North Sea trawler, converted to a well deck cargo ship of the 1950s, based on Everard's AUSTERITY'. Just a few finishing tweaks do to do on it.

Loco failures-just one.

One of my Britannias shed the female socket at the motor end of the drive shaft. I hope it has just slipped off and I can glue it back, but I've yet to find it...…….

martyn

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:43:44 AM by martyn, Reason: Extra info »

Offline Southerngooner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2020, 05:18:59 PM »
The website has now been updated with a new “What’s new” section. This will contain layout developments, new stock, and exhibition feedback. The first bit of content is an operator’s view of last weekends Canterbury show. Well done to Dave Forbes for such a good start!

Dave C

Offline cudders

• N Gauge Society Number: 21730
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2020, 10:01:04 PM »
Excellent layout. Saw it a Tings for the first time.

Must get to Doncaster!

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2020, 12:54:54 AM »
hopefully next time I am back in the UK this will be at a show somewhere, so I get a chance to see it in the flesh again.

Online martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2020, 09:23:31 AM »
Hi;

The layout has its own website;

https://dwanddrc.wixsite.com/james-street

which is updated by Dave/Southerngooner and Stuart/grid078.

This includes all exhibition dates that we have. One exhibition not yet confirmed is Southend in November this year.

This website is now getting close to the amount of photos it can hold, so Dave and Stuart are looking at other options to display the large number of photos we now have.

Look forward to seeing you, and please make yourselves known.

martyn

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2020, 04:42:23 AM »
thanks Martyn, we did meet at Erith a couple of years ago, next time I hope I can take you up on your offer of operating for a short while.

cheers
Graham

Online martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2020, 09:32:43 AM »
Hello Graham;

I remember you at Erith-but I think you couldn't make Broadstairs?

Anyway, hope to see you again at your convenience.

martyn

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal