!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Welcome to Ledgington - the home of Desert Rail  (Read 37745 times)

Offline DesertHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
Re: Welcome to Ledgington - the home of Desert Rail
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2015, 01:36:46 PM »
Ledgington's looking good, Dan! :)

I'll try to get some of your "beasts" in the pictures Oz. The Railfreight 56 is awaiting a donor chassis (have plenty, it's just a case of making one up) as the one I had for it is a tad tight. Whenever I need to remove the body I'm in danger of either ripping the bogies from their retaining clips or damaging the body. I don't want to do either.
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2015, 02:06:36 PM »
I popped into Croydon last week and picked up some miniscene (Ancorton Models) signs. Here you can see the give way sign. They're great signs and they were half price in the clearance model shop in the former Allders of Croydon. Picked up ten Eastern vent vans too at half price.

So, it was one pack of road signs (the Traffic Camera sign in the pics above is also from the same set) and one set of Warehouses to Let signs, which I've placed on my warehouses on Stewart's Lane.

You can see that I've disguised the ledge as a wall, complete with stone capping. The plinth walling at the bottom has been left off at the far right of the first pick since this is the end of the wall and I'm planning some kind of support column.

Where the give way sign is, I imagine there to be a "T" junction just in front of it.

Oh, forgot to add, the gap in the plinth walling at the bottom was a mistake. I stuck the vegetation on before the plinth wall. I didn't want to pull off the vegetation incase I ripped the wall off. I'll build up the vegetation to disguise the gap, or do something to make it look like it should be there.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:09:05 PM by DesertHound »
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: July 24, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »
Nah. Paint it yourself with a bit of perspective!

Or use what I  used to use..... old Townswomens' Guild calendars.

I'm serious! They were great for N gauge additions to  backscenes. I'm sure that there's still heaps of them around. You can literally cut and paste.  :beers:

George

Most definitely going to be a painted backscene. I find them softer than photo backscenes. Given that there will be low relief buildings along the length of the wall, in effect they will be the backscene. I might just paint a sky blue strip directly onto the wall behind them.

Dan

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: July 24, 2015, 04:28:51 PM »
The wall sets the scene off very nicely.

At some point, you must have heard the announcement: 'Mind the Gap'!

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2016, 11:03:28 AM »
@DesertHound
Hi Daniel,
It's gone very quiet on 'Ledgington' so I just wondered if there has been more progress or whether your time has been spent on other things, like your website?

Offline RussellH

• Trade Count: (+9)
    • Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: May 12, 2016, 01:48:34 PM »
He's just moved house....

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: May 12, 2016, 04:48:27 PM »
@DesertHound
Hi Daniel,
It's gone very quiet on 'Ledgington' so I just wondered if there has been more progress or whether your time has been spent on other things, like your website?

Hi Mick

Thanks for showing an interest, it's nice to know people are still interested. Well, what more can I say other than "wot" he said! (RusselH that is).

Indeed, a house move less than a month ago brought Ledgington to a grinding halt (actually it had slowed down before then due to other commitments), but fear not, Ledgington II will rise from the desert! Indeed, one of the prerequisites of Ledgington was that it could be easily dismantled and moved, since I knew that sooner or later we would have to move to a new abode. Ledgington II has a home already and I'm pleased to say that it is a dedicated room. Despite the SMBO's protestations that I take a "proper room" for Ledgington II (how nice of her), I have decided to use a nice little space under the stairs. It's actually a storage room (well, it's bigger than a cupboard, you can walk into it, it has a door on it, I'm not really sure what to call it actually) but it will make a perfect space for both Ledgington II, Stewart's Lane and a workshop for me. Ah yes, being under the stairs it's windowless, so I can work on into the wee hours of the morning with the excuse that I didn't know the time  ;D

One of the requirements of the original Ledgington was that it didn't take up too much space (remember it was around the wall) and that will generally hold true for Ledgington II (I'm thinking figure of eight around the L shaped space - more to come on that later) but what I found was that in practice, due to the need to remove the long bridge spanning the room if we had guests, it often didn't get put up for a long time and hence Ledgington would have stints where it wasn't used. I remember very well a suggestion from Malc on a hinged bridge - I very much enjoyed building the "paddlestick"bridge but I'm grateful to Malc for his suggestion, since it always stuck in my mind how good an idea it was. So, one factor that made me want to put Ledgington II under the stairs is that I can shut the door and leave it fully configured - no need to take anything down or put anything up - a proper train room where the most hassle is going to be opening and closing the door! Yes I suppose it is a luxury - but I also think it's a clever use of a small space. After all, I'm not taking up a whole room.

I shall keep you posted when work starts, but that isn't likely to be for some time. There's lots to be done in the house - having a garden again is a wonderful thing - and then there are increasing work commitments. At present the L shaped room has everything stored in it. I will try to get around to at least getting Stewart's Lane re-shelved next month and then it will be a slowly-slowly affair. I often think my character is an "all or nothing" type and if I can't give something the proper attention it needs, it tends to get sidelined until I have the time to get on with it with 100% attention. Perhaps I should put aside an hour per day for train "stuff" and I might amaze myself at how quickly (or not) I progress.

As for thefarishshed.com, well that's a mammouth task and I think I have only just started to get an understanding of what I am trying to achieve. Working on that takes an immense amount of time and again, it's a commodity in short supply right now. That will progress later this year and I am not short of material, just time. Again, perhaps I need to be more disciplined and "work time into my day" so that I can spend some time on these things.

Thanks again for the interest Mick - the passion for N Gauge and Farish hasn't diminished, it's just being held at the signal before it can proceed!

Best

Daniel
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:49:45 PM by DesertHound »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: May 12, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »
@DesertHound
Thanks for the very comprehensive reply and update, Daniel. Sometimes my brain does kick into action and I think of someone who has not been on the forum for some time so I just drop them a PM or a post in their thread with a tag to see if all is well with them.
Very best wishes for your life in new premises and hopefully you can somehow squeeze more time out of the day for the layout and thefarishshed.com. Lord knows where you'll get it from unlike us retired old buggers :D

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2016, 10:35:32 PM »
Having a garden again?!! What, a sand pit??  ???
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal