!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Smoking Hall  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
Smoking Hall
« on: November 26, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »
Just had a Hall go up in smoke, or so I thought. After the initial plume, power was re-applied and smoke appeared to be coming from the rear of the motor. I removed the circuit board from its screws and found a burnt out capacitor. After snipping this off, the motor seems fine.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Smoking Hall
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:58:41 PM »
Just had a Hall go up in smoke, or so I thought. After the initial plume, power was re-applied and smoke appeared to be coming from the rear of the motor. I removed the circuit board from its screws and found a burnt out capacitor. After snipping this off, the motor seems fine.

Not uncommon - I've seen this on an A3 and an A4. Not sure why they go pop, or whether they are substandard components, but the smoke is certainly not pleasant....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 12:31:03 AM »
And probably not too good for you. The capacitor is just to stop radio and TV interference isn't it?

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 03:55:29 AM »
That's my understanding.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:56:19 AM »
The capacitor is just to stop radio and TV interference isn't it?

Yes, the running will not be affected by removal. Apart from the removal of the realistic smoke generator effect..... ;)

Or you could replace with another capacitor if interference is a concern.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 09:07:46 AM »
I doubt the motors would interefere with a modern digital TV signal.

However, if it is less than 2 years old, it should still be under warranty so you should be able to get it repaired/replaced via BR Lines at no cost to you. I had the same thing happen to my 2884 and it was back a few weeks later and working fine.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:14:44 AM »

Surprisingly, it can - I have a TV next to my layout and the digital terrestrial signal can be affected by loco motors.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:16:39 AM »
Is that more to do with the interference through the domestic power supply rather than the TV signal?

Paul

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »
Is that more to do with the interference through the domestic power supply rather than the TV signal?

I don't think so - any time I've seen interference it's been directly correlated with a loco motor running nearby. Stop the motor, the interference ceases.

The TV is powered off a completely different socket on the other side of the room, so while there could be interference via the power line, it seems more likely that it's directly from the motors. Not a big deal...I rarely watch TV and run trains concurrently - the trains are far more interesting!

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:20:39 AM by Dr Al »

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »
That's what I meant, the loco motor causing interference physically through the power supply (via controller, mains cable, ring main to TV) rather than by any form of wave interference :thumbsup:

Paul

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 09:32:04 AM »
That's what I meant, the loco motor causing interference physically through the power supply (via controller, mains cable, ring main to TV) rather than by any form of wave interference :thumbsup:

I guess it's possible....but maybe seems less likely. I should also say that the TV aerial is right next to the TV, so right next to the layout too, so it's probably prone to picking up interference nearby, which is why I've always assumed it was caused directly.

At least I know now how to drown out the ad breaks...  :D

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
I've been in this model railway malarkey all me life, grew up with Hornby and Triang advertising TV suppressors as a major plus for their products.

In the end I don't think those caps make much difference.... unless yer layout is right next to your telly.  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 11:16:49 AM »

However, if it is less than 2 years old, it should still be under warranty so you should be able to get it repaired/replaced via BR Lines at no cost to you. I had the same thing happen to my 2884 and it was back a few weeks later and working fine.

I did contact Joel as I thought the motor had burnt out at first. I then informed him it was just a capacitor. He said I could return the capacitor for a replacement but it has disintegrated. I am not too worried about replacing the capacitor.

I wonder how many people have thought their motor had burnt out when it was only the capacitor to blame?

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
Quite a few years ago my brand new Q1 went up in smoke, I was dismayed to say the least. Luckily it carried on running so it must have been the capacitor in my case too.

It certainly gives you a fright.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
The capacitors are about 3p each in bags of a hundred so not a big deal (and that's good ones.. so I'm baffled why they would use crap ones   :doh:

They do stop interference - the locomotive motor is  spark generator connected to a pair of long loops of metal. It's approximately the same arrangement as the earliest radios !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal