!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: PECO Jubilee keeper plate  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
Re: PECO Jubilee keeper plate
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 12:04:49 PM »
Red,

In Snow's photo, the keeper plate is the plastic strip on the base of the tender covering the driving gears. I think it is probably a few mm thick. If I can get one loosened off my other loco I'll post photo of it.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »
I think it is probably a few mm thick. If I can get one loosened off my other loco I'll post photo of it.

It's more complex than that - it's the vull base plate and tender sides moulding, meaning it's about a centimetre deep and has mouldings for the side detail, coupling box etc.

Should be doable in a 3D print I'd have thought, but would need some careful CAD to ensure it matched the original.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »
Thanks Dr Al. I'll see about getting it stripped off a Jubilee. I'll get it photographed. Hopefully someone may be up to try and do the CAD.

Brian

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Just come across this thread - appreciate it's a bit old - but I've got a couple of Peco Jubes that would be fine runners if only their tender keeper plates hadn't disintegrated!

Could anyone create a 3D copy of the keeper plate? I'm sure there would be a market for it! Also, how about re-creating those pesky (and very snappable) plastic sliders and cranks for Minitrix Ivatts, Britannias and 9Fs? A lot of otherwise scuppered locos could be brought back to life...
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 01:14:05 PM »
cranks for Minitrix Ivatts, Britannias and 9Fs?

Someone's done that for the cranks - I can't find the link right now, but if you search shapeways you should find them.

Still need someone to do the crossheads!

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 01:21:02 PM »
Just come across this thread - appreciate it's a bit old - but I've got a couple of Peco Jubes that would be fine runners if only their tender keeper plates hadn't disintegrated!

Could anyone create a 3D copy of the keeper plate? I'm sure there would be a market for it! Also, how about re-creating those pesky (and very snappable) plastic sliders and cranks for Minitrix Ivatts, Britannias and 9Fs? A lot of otherwise scuppered locos could be brought back to life...

ME TOO!  :thumbsup:

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »
If someone can do the CAD, Shapeways now will print in metal.  Plastic would not work but metal should be fine.  Having said this the soft metal throughout the models will be deteriorating so its only a holding pattern.

I have seen several using Union Mills tender mechanisms and Farish LMS powered tenders to good effect.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 01:27:27 PM »
If someone can do the CAD, Shapeways now will print in metal.  Plastic would not work but metal should be fine. 

Need care with this - the tender drawbar is live to the loco, being the oppoisite polarity to the live tender block - so at very least this would need full insulation - or worse it might render a metal component unviable.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 01:35:10 PM »
I have been replacing my metal draw bars with a tough nylon plastic for several years, and I replace the conductivity with a wire.

The reason is all my models are DCC and the typical metal draw bars create serious electrical noise that upsets the DCC chips.

In my world the only metal to metal moving contacts are the wheel pickups and the motor commutators  8)

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »
Best material I've found for drawbars is cut from old out of date credit/debit cards.
Problem using UM drives with a Jubilee is that they both pick up from the same side so you need to turn one set of wheels over.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »
Best material I've found for drawbars is cut from old out of date credit/debit cards.
Problem using UM drives with a Jubilee is that they both pick up from the same side so you need to turn one set of wheels over.

Use the American pickup method, one side the loco and the other side the tender.

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 03:57:22 PM »

Use the American pickup method, one side the loco and the other side the tender.

That's what I was saying, you need to turn over one set of wheels, either loco or tender, to  achieve this when using UM drive with a Jubilee.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 03:57:40 PM »
cranks for Minitrix Ivatts, Britannias and 9Fs?

Someone's done that for the cranks - I can't find the link right now, but if you search shapeways you should find them.

Got it - thanks! http://www.shapeways.com/product/YHDANXD75/minitrix-2-10-0-4-6-2-eccentric-rod-pegs-n-scale?optionId=56334896&li=featured
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2020, 02:43:53 AM »
I am advised that the keeper plate is an integral part of the tender chassis. So it may be you need to look for tender chassis.

B

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal