New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Eitetsumura - British trains in Japan  (Read 43364 times)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Eitetsumura - British trains in Japan
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 11:27:11 PM »
No major construction developments, but through-running of metro trains from the nearby large-ish city has now commenced, which will hopefully bring a steady stream of visitors to Eitetsumura as well as reviving the fortunes of the town generally.

http://youtu.be/2UymOBrsugE

(still experimenting with video and Youtube, please don't expect professional-level entertainment)
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »
Mr Squid

I can't see where you posted those pictures of your British stock. Looking nice though. What's that piece of trunking between the tracks in the station area? Is it Kato or Tomix?

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »
Mr Squid

I can't see where you posted those pictures of your British stock. Looking nice though.

Thanks. Class 47 piccies are here.

What's that piece of trunking between the tracks in the station area? Is it Kato or Tomix?

That's from the Kato rural station set (23-220) and represents a run-off drain for snow melt. The platform on the left is actually Tomix, which is a bit too low for the Kato track, but it's just temporary.

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »
Great stuff - just finalizing my Kato track order now. Seems I'll be tapping you for info. and for intel. on the latest from Kato HQ!
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Lawrencehg

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 04:39:09 PM »
Love your post and the video bought a smile to my face

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 04:52:50 PM »
Well, not much progress, apart from buying urgently needed stock and building up a collection of scenic items which I'm sure I'll use one day. Also acquiring new furniture to replace the bookshelves which have been/will be displaced by the layout.

I have officially given up on the idea of going DCC. Japanese trains are excellent and inexpensive, but one thing they are not is DCC-friendly. The thought of having to chip all the non-socketed multiple units (motor and lighting) I've acquired as well as the miscelleneous locomotives is not one which fills me with joy, especially as the cost of the DCC adapters will exceed that of the stock in many cases. So, two DC controllers and block switching it shall be. Which is kind of nice in a way, I spend way too much time with computery stuff as it is.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »
Well, 100% success rate in keeping up the lack of progress. Well, apart from urgently needed stock purchases of course. Probably of little interest but I was experimenting with carriage lighting, so here's a terribly grainy video of it going round and round.

http://youtu.be/BFgc4-cjqtM
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:45:16 PM by railsquid »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
Hi Squiddy,

Can I ask if your lights are a home made jobby or a light bar (eg Dapol) or summat?
 :thankyousign:

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 10:08:04 PM »
A 3rd party light-bar designed to fit in Kato carriages.

Online Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »
The write up on that page looks really good  :doh:  Will they fit other makes of coaches?
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 11:12:04 AM »
Transrated into Engrish...............

"You may not be mounted by the shape of the vehicle" :worried: :D

Full length is 140mm which is too long for UK in the main so they'd have to be cut down.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 11:18:29 AM »
The write up on that page looks really good  :doh:  Will they fit other makes of coaches?

They're designed to fit Japanese makes (Kato, Tomix, Microace) which for the most part come "lighting-ready" (i.e. have pickups fitted and slots for attaching the strips). I'm sure it would be possible to use these in overseas models if you can sort out the pickups.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 11:19:32 AM »
Full length is 140mm which is too long for UK in the main so they'd have to be cut down.

Nothing which can't be solved with a pair of scissors - they're designed to be shortened, and I had to cut one segment off to fit in this coach.

Anyway now I know they work I'll get some more at some point and will post more detailed info.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:21:19 AM by railsquid »

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 04:12:42 PM »
Tum-te-tum... right, where were we? Ah yes, beating about the procrastination bush. Which is good, as it means I never got round to implementing my original plan, which involved expanding the existing baseboard (1800mm x 900mm) to an L-shape. Which I was never really happy with, as it would have put a sharp pointy corner right where one would be aiming for the door. Also, it would have precluded use of one wall for shelving, which is a waste of space.

Then inspiration struck. I was reading this thread featuring a shelf layout based on IKEA Ivar shelving units, which got me thinking, and it occurred to me if I do a more fundamental rearrangement of the room I can put two of those shelving units against the previously "dead" wall and make the layout a 3000mm x 900mm rectangle (with one end integrated into one of the shelving units, which would be much more accessible in this arrangement). Some provisional planning indicates I can use the rectangle much more efficiently than the "L" shape and fit more scenery in.

Well, kind of hard to explain without diagrams but it's giving me a tingling sense of satisfaction already. Just need to get the round tuits sorted.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 03:51:56 PM »
In the intervening period the Eitetsumura management has been busy acquiring locomotives and rolling stock for the new railway venture, which has distracted somewhat from infrastructure-related construction (the presence of a four-limbed milk-consuming unit of biomass is also said to have contributed to this delay). This may be a blessing in disguise, as the original location planned for Eitetsumura has sunk into a swamp of indecisiveness, but luckily an alternative has been found which will allow the core of Eitetsumura to be constructed semi-independently from the connecting railway lines, which will be integrated later as time allows.

Current planning now envisages Eitetsumura as a quasi-terminus station located on a shelf-like outcrop of the Ivar Range. It will actually be a former junction station, with two single-track lines leading off into suspiciously blanked-out tunnel mouths, which coincenidentally form a very convenient layout for locomotive run-arounds. The slightly elevated location with excellent shelter from the elements should help with the original intention of having a location to display various items of exotic overseas stock, while freeing up valuable real estate further down on the plain for more conventional scenery and mainline operations.

The formal opening of Eitetsumura is now provisionally scheduled, in light pencil, for some date before the eventual heat death of the universe.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £220.00
Above Goal: £165.00
Site Currency: GBP
400% 
December Donations

Advertise Here