New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hydro-West?  (Read 967 times)

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
Hydro-West?
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:41:20 AM »
With retirement looming in the near future about 18 months,I am planning a new layout to keep me out of mischief and to stop my brain from getting to addled. I will have a size limitation of around 10 foot by up to 3 foot ( 30100 mm X 900mm ). I am looking for a West country small mainline station in the Early 70's  this is to cater for my passion for Hydraulics with the odd early HST thrown in as this was the era I spent the most time travelling by train, Commuting for weekends and leave from various Naval bases to my parents home in Swindon as a young Artificer Apprentice in the Royal Navy.

:helpneededsign: Any suggestions of suitable prototypes will be gratefully received, especially if a Station plan is readily available.

Current Thinking DCC control, Fully scenic with lighting,colour light signalling, possibly using a Nelevator for a fiddle yard/storage, Code 55 electo-frog track (maybe code 40?),Servo/colbolt/tortoise point control, Roundy Roundy style as I like to sit and watch trains go by and I am thinking some possible computer/auto control.  Of course Rule 1 will apply allowing me to break away and run any thing that takes my fancy at times.
Diane Tape

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Hydro-West?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:15:40 PM »
Heck, Di, you don't ask for much, do ya. Luckily I'm from the North East so can feign ignorance   ;D ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Kris

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:03:29 PM »
If you are prepared to compromise on viaduct length and curvature then either Hayle or Redruth could fit your plan. They both have a bridge or tunnel at the east end of the platforms which helps with scenic breaks. Hayle would also have the branch for added interest.
A more interesting plan could be Bodmin Parkway. You would still have the local trip work on the branch at that time. 

Offline Ditape

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 02:31:21 PM »

I have considered using Plymton as a basis for my new project as the station was simple had a good scenic break at the West end as the real station closed in the Mid 60's I have plenty of licence to model the buildings with a bit of imagination .

This is a first draft of what I might build.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:53:54 PM by Ditape »
Diane Tape

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 11:48:41 PM »
That looks pretty cool, Diane   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline GeeBee

• N Gauge Society Number: 14888
  • Hi from Grahams world of the terminally bewildered
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 12:27:30 AM »
Nice one Di I look forward to seeing more

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this one take shape.
I'd second the Hayle/Redruth idea (but as I live here I'm biased of course).
Redruth also gives you the option of Drump Road Sidings for added interest.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »
Here is how Bodmin Road would fit into 10 by 3. I nearly built this myself but changed my mind as had done it back in the 80s in OO.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:01:38 AM by Chris m »

Offline Ditape

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 04:09:58 PM »

This is a draft copy of how things could look, this was uploaded mainly to see how the new add picture system works.
Diane Tape

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 11:08:49 AM »
Bodmin Road would get my vote, Diane, purely because it 'connects' with Wadebridge and, hence, both Martin's layouts and my own one. However, I agree that Hayle or Redruth idea (with, as Martin notes, Drump Road Sidings for added interest, Redruth once had a quite modern looking loco. shed and adjoining wagon works, too) would also work well. Finally, Plymton would fit your proposed plan very nicely indeed. I look forward to seeing this one develop being a big WR diesel-hydraulic fan, too. I do have a BR Blue but D series Class 22 coming plus suitable coaches, wagons and vans for the early 1970s so could run a couple of 'through' trains . . .

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 12:28:15 PM »
 :hellosign:   Nice plan Di, all West Country is good, look forward to developments
regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything