!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: smoothest......  (Read 1599 times)

Offline fisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
smoothest......
« on: October 26, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »
which is your smoothest slow running loco ??????

I will be  facinated to hear  how  foreign ones compare to those from  UK based firms....
<o({{{<<

Offline tadpole

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
Re: smoothest......
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »
I have both so can compare them on the same layout - a true apples with apples comparison.

If you'd asked me a few months ago I'd have said my German stuff (virtually all of which I got second hand) was generally smoother/slower than the British, and probably my Fleischmann DB cl.290 and Fleischmann 624 DMU and Hobbytrain 515 battery railcars were best of all.

However, I recently did an inventory/running check of all my UK locos, and many of them are just as smooth/slow as their Teutonic cousins, and not just the new Dapol/BachFar ones.

I'd probably still single out my DB 290 as being the smoothest at invisibly low speeds, but my Farish (China) 33,  50, 108, 170 are great too, along with my Poole 47s and 50, which must be 30 years old, but can still crawl when needed.

Worst are probably Farish single bogie-powered 101 DMUs, which have two speeds, 0 and 70mph.
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline SD35

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12663
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 05:31:35 PM »
Kato SD70MACs without a doubt.  I had to put MRC sound decoders in them to stop me jumping out of my skin everytime they oozed into the storage yard and then sneaked up on me from the other end of the layout.  Followed by a rake of Kato Bethgons they also qualify for my smoothest train.

The new UK stuff is good in comparison to the old Poole gear with honourable mentions to the Farish 24, 108 and 150.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »
I have only Farish/Dapol, but can only hand on heart go with the Farish 24 and 52 :GraFar:

Sorry - forgot I have 3 x Minitrix but they don't cut it for being smooth

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
Anything i have in my Roster from Kato  especially  the   N&S  SD80 MAC not only smooth  &  excellent slow running but it has serious pulling power.

Have to agree with  SD35   the  Gons run   really well  in a train   

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:13:38 PM »
My Lifelike E8s are smoother and quieter than either my Atlas or Kato locos, IMO flywheel drive at its best.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline polo2k

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »
Life like sw9 and gp7/9`s
beautiful runners.

Some of the HO stuff is super running too (but thats another forum!)
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
My Lifelike/proto GP20 is virtually silent and super smooth... closely followed by my Kato F3 - not quiet, but very smooth. ;D

I also have a Farish warship that runs very well, not to mention the class 24 (i shouldn't of sold it !) which i still think is farish's best loco to date.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:22:52 PM »
Certainly not either of the GWR Flying Bananas I have (both are eBay "As New Condition" specials that I've managed to do a degree of refurb and repair on split and worn gears, bent chassis and general knackeredness). Even though I've got them running, they're probably louder than the prototype.

My best runners so far are my two Farish Class 47 Diesels, probably because of the simplicity although my Class 08 is a good slow runner too.

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
I'd say my Minitrix Glaskasten has the smoothest slow speed running. Which is good, because it can't go fast.  ;D
All, (except one), that I bought new are very good slow runners too. Athearn Big Boy, Kato GS4, Atlas B23-7, E-R Models RF16A and B, Kato GG1.
The exception being the Bachmann F9A from a train set.

Offline Fratton

• N Gauge Society Number: 23974
  • 2mm Association Number: 4766
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »
My farish 47 Titan was my smoothest but its developed a gremlin last time running (its gettting a clean when i get round to it) my 150/1 is a very smooth runner despite its starter set origin,,,,,,,,

sadly due to my recent DCC move ive got only 2 runners and 2 in the near future,,,,,
Charlie.

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »
My farish 47 Titan was my smoothest but its developed a gremlin last time running (its gettting a clean when i get round to it) my 150/1 is a very smooth runner despite its starter set origin,,,,,,,,

sadly due to my recent DCC move ive got only 2 runners and 2 in the near future,,,,,
I feel your pain ! I've got eleven locos, only three with DCC and no DCC contoller yet...! The cost of decoders is still a bit steep, so i'm doing each loco as and when i can afford it.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Paul B

• N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »
Certainly not either of the GWR Flying Bananas I have (both are eBay "As New Condition" specials that I've managed to do a degree of refurb and repair on split and worn gears, bent chassis and general knackeredness). Even though I've got them running, they're probably louder than the prototype.

My best runners so far are my two Farish Class 47 Diesels, probably because of the simplicity although my Class 08 is a good slow runner too.

That's strange - I only have one Farish Flying Banana, in BR blood & custard, and it is a very good, quiet and reliable runner! It was bought from new at a show about 3 years ago though, and hasn't seen a great deal of running.

As for smoothest, I would say that my Union Mills B12 in LNER black was the best I have, although my two old Farish J94's were pretty good too!
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

Offline Alex

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
Hi,

My smoothest so far is my Bachmann GP50, in my FCF livery, which was 20 brand new.

Alex

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 05:45:41 AM »
Hi,

My smoothest so far is my Bachmann GP50, in my FCF livery, which was 20 brand new.

Alex

Good for you Alex, there is no doubt that Bachmann have lifted their game with their non Spectrum models :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything