!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longcroft  (Read 117866 times)

Online Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
Re: Longcroft
« Reply #780 on: February 24, 2020, 02:20:19 AM »
Why not use the old favourite of paper mache?

You could make some card formers, or use chicken wire, and cover with traditional paper mache or kitchen roll / water down PVA mix (had good results with the latter).

Skyline2uk

All sounds very messy Adam. I'm thinking more along the lines of filler or plaster but won't discount your input just yet but I'd have to sneak kitchen roll onto the wife's shopping list as it doesn't look like we have much left.

Doesnít need to be messy mate, I managed to use it in both a rented flat and my in-laws house and didnít loose my deposit or get skinned  ;)

Skyline2uk

I found a tub of plaster and decided to use that up. I'll see how it looks when dry. Also built some fences and a farm track to go on the backscene behind the museum and painted an access road also for the museum. I'll post a picture later in the week when hopefully a lot more of it will be fixed in place.
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #781 on: February 25, 2020, 01:03:51 AM »
Just a very brief glimpse into how the back of the museum will look. The tractor driver went off to find his cows when the picture was taken but he's back on his tractor now. The mud track needs to be built up a little under the cabin too. I'm quite happy with this as it's the first time I've ever done anything like it  :D

John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #782 on: February 25, 2020, 04:11:43 AM »
Looks great!  :thumbsup:

You definitely need to embed the cabin in more, though.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #783 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:58 PM »
Cabin has been embedded, farm track completed, trees planted, gates fitted, building moved, fencing completed but no pictures! I waiting on some cows to be delivered along with a Spitfire and a Hurricane which should be flying in any time now. Maybe then I'll post a picture or 2.  :thumbsup:
John

<*))))><

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #784 on: February 27, 2020, 01:40:17 AM »
Ok so I couldn't wait for the Spitfire, Hurricane, cows, milk churns etc. Here's a preview of what I have done with the flying museum so far. I'm generally happy with it although I'm not completely happy with the steep embankment at the front. It's a bit too steep to plant loads of trees so I'm open to ideas on that one. It may even be that I have to change it to a shallower slope. I only need room for 1, maybe 2 tracks at the bottom to lead into the TMD. Any other ideas out there?

Did you spot the cyclist?
John

<*))))><

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #785 on: February 27, 2020, 02:27:05 AM »
Yes, but probably wouldn't have if you hadn't asked  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #786 on: February 27, 2020, 02:40:33 AM »
I would add shrubs plant trees on that steep  bank and some security fencing john

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #787 on: February 27, 2020, 02:41:32 AM »
how about a rock face?

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #788 on: February 27, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
Yes, but probably wouldn't have if you hadn't asked  ;)

I'll have to sort out a prize for you then  :thumbsup:

I would add shrubs plant trees on that steep  bank and some security fencing john

Yes, I placed a couple of trees on the face and they look ok in the picture, not so good in 'real' life though I feel. The slope is probably a lot steeper than it looks in the pictyre. I take it you mean security fencing at the top? I have placed some black fencing which I have loads of, next to the road and was just looking to put a bush or trees etc at the top.

how about a rock face?

This is a possibility and again something I thought about. I'm just not 100% convinced it will look right in this location. I will have a little play with some to see how it looks though.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm always up for a bit of constructive criticism, as long as it's not too critical, I am a novice at this after all  :-[
John

<*))))><

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #789 on: February 27, 2020, 02:09:04 PM »
Yes more of that fencing John
 Where did you buy it from please ? A few more bushes be good or scatter material

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #790 on: February 27, 2020, 02:20:26 PM »
Yes more of that fencing John
 Where did you buy it from please ? A few more bushes be good or scatter material

The fencing was white and came with the Hornby/Minitrix platforms but I had no use for it on those. It has quite a large flat base to it too (for clipping to the platform edges) which you can't really see in the pictures so it can be just placed and glued rather then drilling holes. I bought over 100 pieces of the platform from Cheltenham Model Centre a few years ago so have plenty of it  :thumbsup: Do you want some?
John

<*))))><

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #791 on: February 27, 2020, 02:41:37 PM »
Thanks john. PM sent. Now for the work round the tunnel mouth

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #792 on: February 27, 2020, 02:44:37 PM »
Yes. I have made 2 double twin tunnel mouths and painted them a darker grey. I just need to work out how to put smoke stains at the top of them now. Any ideas anyone?
John

<*))))><

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #793 on: February 27, 2020, 02:46:37 PM »
Streaks of soot black and brown in a downward fashion with a brush. Have you photos of steam locos out of tunnels for reference ?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:49:38 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #794 on: February 27, 2020, 02:48:22 PM »
Streaks of soot black and brown in a downward fashion with a brush. Have you photos of steam locks out of tunnels for reference ?

I have quite a few pictures for reference and will practice that before doing it on the actual tunnel mouths.
John

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal