!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: M7 re-runs  (Read 6329 times)

Offline CarriageShed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
Re: M7 re-runs
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 11:12:06 PM »
I've done 3 long frame push pull conversions; briefly, cut off about half of the front footplate, cut a piece of thin lead, brass or other metal a little less than the width of the footplate and long enough to give you the 2.5mm extra, glue the lead under the front of the loco, glue the piece of footplate you previously cut off lesaving a 2.5mm gap, fill the gap with whatever you have available, a bit more metal, plastic or filler, (the extra weight wiil help traction a bit).

Westinghouse pumps either white metal or lost wax cast brass are available, BHE among others, the various air tanks and pipework can be made from brass or plastic; below 47 has been converted, 255 not (although black tanks and pump don't show up well against black paint!

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

I'd love to see a closer close-up of both of your M7s, Mike. These photos on my monitor are pretty small - not tiny, but not large enough to make out any great amount of detail.

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
Unfortunately not possible at the moment, all stock is packed still awaiting house move (3 buyers have dropped out since March, they expect a house over 100 years old to be perfect, surveyors these days tend to be over cautious covering their rears)

Have you tried clicking on the image that gives me a larger image, alternatively  you could right click on the image and copy it then open in a photo viewer or editor and magnify it.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 01:26:13 PM »
Sadly it's only a 72dpi image at 800 pixels wide, so magnifying it in an image editor only increases the pixellation past the first magnification level. I can wait until you've made that long-awaited house move, along with seeing your photos and stuff from the previous incarnation of Bournemouth West. The best of luck in finding a new buyer. Hopefully it won't take too much longer.

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »
Results of my experiments at the Club running evening:

Took along both my early model (ND-026 SR Green) as well as the recent purchase (2S-016-003 BR Black Late Crest) locos

Using the outer 'N' test track (approx 20in radius) and Gaugemaster Model W controller.

Loco started moving at just over the '10' marking and accelerated smoothly from that. Was able to keep constant movement at approx '12' on the controller. The loco made one circuit in just under 2 minutes. In reverse, needed slightly higher controller setting and circuit was slightly quicker as a result.

Loaded with 5 12T box vans and a 'Pill Box' brake, picked up in similar fashion to light-engine and was able to maintain smooth slow running at same controller setting.

Added wagons until loco started slipping on the uphill bits (the test track isn't entirely flat!!), maximum load 13 wagons and brake (the SR loco could cope with one wagon more).

Loaded with passenger coaches, maximum load for both locos was 5 coaches (4 Bulleids and 1 Mark 1).

Overall I was quite happy with the results, looking forward to using the BR loco in anger at the forthcoming Club Open Day in December...

My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
I bought a late crest M7 last week but I've only just tried it as my layout has been stowed away for a couple of weeks due to guests arriving.
Ran well straight from the box in either direction and copes fine with the setrack points in my Fiddle Yard (no derailing and no stalling).
Slow speed is pretty good (compares favourably with most steam locos but not as good as most diesels) and I have experienced no problems on Insulfrogs.
Haven't tested it with stock yet as I haven't fully run it in but first impressions are favourable.
I'm happy with it so far. Roll on a RTR 02 though !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal