!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 52 (Western)  (Read 89024 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 52 (Western)
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
Only problem is,I'm going to have to concoct a reason for having western hydraulics on an eastern region set layout.Perhaps 'The Western Hydraulic Appreciation and Preservation Group'.Or summat like that anyway.
Don't forget a few Class 14s were actually allocated to the Eastern Region, to Hull Docks in fact, for a while. They weren't very popular or useful there, but you could stretch a point and run one or two of them without having to invoke Rule #1 too much!

Cheers NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »

Here's a photo of my new Class 52 received this morning from Hattons. Really lovely looking loco and I have noticed that the BR blue is much closer in colour to the Farish locos than other Dapol BR Blue diesels. I ran it in forwards and backwards for an hour each way on an oval on the table and then chipped it as usual. As with other Dapol diesels be careful taking the body off as there are wires attaching the body and chassis.
So far so good, it was warm to the touch through the body after a couple of hours running but not hot. In running terms it is probably as noisy as the Class 26 and Class 27 but is still relatively quiet. It has had no issues through points and double slips and is happily pulling 7 Mark 1s (blue ribband) around the track. I have had to provide slightly more power on the dial of the controller than other locos to maintain the speed that others are achieving although I imagine that is the gearing.
Another successful (so far) Dapol diesel. Very happy.  :D

Offline Ollie3440

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18238
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2013, 08:48:28 PM »
Evening all!

I just had to get myself this lovely machine today. Runs an absolute treat! I've removed the nameplates ready to receive it's new identity of D1013 Western Ranger :D

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Offline Wayne 56089

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »
Question time!

After seeing the pics from you guys and hearing good things I may have to invest in one of these in the future so my question is this........

How do I manage to fit a blue western onto a layout that consists of a depot and a wagon repair depot and will have a coal sector 58 and 56 and a large logo blue and intercity 47 for company!   :goggleeyes:

Offline davieb

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2013, 09:00:18 PM »
RAILTOUR......................I use it as an excuse all the time  :whistle: :D

dave  :thumbsup:

Offline Wayne 56089

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2013, 09:02:50 PM »
That was my first thought of using artistic licence!

Just bring the preserved diesel ban backward to around 1987!

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
In a recent 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' magazine, Colin Marsden states that Foster Yeoman had planned to buy some ex-BR 'Westerns' for use on their stone trains, effectively doing what the Class 59s did from the mid 1980s onwards.

So perhaps an alternate history could be supposed where this plan came to fruition, and a privately-owned 'Western' might have hauled hoppers for another ten years after their withdrawal from BR? Certainly my model looks nice in charge of a train of Yeoman PGA hoppers! If you were really ambitious, you could replace the BR logos with Yeoman ones, similar to what they did with their ex-BR Class 08 shunters.

Cheers, NeMo

How do I manage to fit a blue western onto a layout that consists of a depot and a wagon repair depot and will have a coal sector 58 and 56 and a large logo blue and intercity 47 for company!
NGS Journal Editor

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
At least one preserved western has worked freight on the national network.

The 59/66 end styling was also Western inspired
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2013, 09:10:22 PM »
Looks like Kernow now have the green Westerns so hopefully I'll be getting mine from Rails fairly soon :laugh3:
Let's hope I get a good 'un :uneasy:

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2013, 03:43:55 AM »
Ask Ollie to give it a few runs up and down the test track Mick,that may guarentee a good one.I can't believe how good they look,the blue ones that is.Mines all run in now and awaiting my decision on what to do with it.

Do I just put in a standard funcrion only decoder or do I pull it apart and fit a sound decoder with a couple of speakers in the tank?

Decisions,decisions.lol

Pete
 :Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »
Bought my western today. Having issues with mine already. I have lubricated it as per instructions. but after say 10-20mins continuous running the loco gets slower and slower to a near crawl. its not pulling any stock. other locos run fine so its not the track. but after say 5-10mins of not using it, runs fine.

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
Pains me to say this, but you should probably take it back.  >:(

Let's hope yours is a one-off, and your retailer swaps it for a replacement model that works right first time!

Cheers, NeMo

Bought my western today. Having issues with mine already. I have lubricated it as per instructions. but after say 10-20mins continuous running the loco gets slower and slower to a near crawl. its not pulling any stock. other locos run fine so its not the track. but after say 5-10mins of not using it, runs fine.
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2013, 10:25:19 AM »

Sounds like a case of Dapol surging motor or poorly manufactured PCB.

Send it back.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »
Western Venturer arrived on Friday, having made its way across the Atlantic - wow is the verdict. Along with its Osborns' sibling Western Enterprise, it looks and runs beautifully. No problems hauling 9 Mk1s up a 2% incline, quiet runner - very pleased.

The only issue is that it needs weathering - I never saw a Western in anything other than faded and filthy condition. But that will have to wait for another day!

In the meantime, here is a video of both locos at Chetcombe

http://youtu.be/Ph0aDd18AIA

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »
Very nice, too, Mike :thumbsup:
I must say that, even on the film, there seems to be a high pitched whine from the Desert Sand model :hmmm:
Regarding the double headed Hymeks - is one a dummy version and, if so, how did you get lights in it as my green dummy has none ??? :thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal