!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: kato track  (Read 15752 times)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: kato track
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 02:46:43 PM »
Looks like they are trying to catch up with Tomix and their tram track sets (which go down to 103mm radius!). They've also re-released some of the "pocket line" stuff which was their old brand of 'starter' cheapy trains. The Y is a useful addition that has long been mising from their range.

It's surprising what will do 6" curves (or even 5"). I built a BP&GV microlayout which uses Minitrix wagons, and small shunters as per the prototype, but with the addition of a passenger railbus service. It'll happily handle Tomix 150mm curves although the Peco hoppers won't (hence the use of older Trix ones)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
It's surprising what will do 6" curves (or even 5").

Totally agree.

Most of my European outline stock will do the existing tightest Kato 216mm curve, including full length TGVs and 26.4m (ie 165mm in 1:160) coaches, so I'm sure a fair amount will probably do the even tighter radius (certainly did on my old Peco tracked layout where one curve was laid to about 4.5 - 5 inch radius - with Peco streamline to boot!)
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02:44 PM »
Thanks for the useful information Gordon about setting up the Kato track and points. :thumbsup:

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 07:45:22 PM »

I am not sure whether this is the best match, but I paint my rail sides, including the joiners in a mid brown colour. In fact I use Humbrol 29, which is available in enamel, acrylic and spray versions. I think in this scale you should not paint the track too dark a colour and genuine rust looks too stark to my eyes.

Some questions. Do you just paint the sides with Humbrol 29 or paint the whole of the Unitrack? Does the enamel adhere better than the acrylic? I am not relishing painting the rails at all.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »
I tend to paint the whole rail as it is almost impossible to do just the sides neatly, and then with a damp rag wipe off the top where the wheels pick up power. For this reason I paint small sections at a time. It is easier to paint the track before it is laid, then just touch up the rail joiners in situ. The acrylic paint is fine on track, but it dries very quickly, so regular wipes with the damp cloth will save elbow grease later. I have used enamel on other layouts and it does adhere much better, but you will need to use white spirit or thinners to clean the running surfaces of the track. I mask off the point blades and pivots to avoid getting paint in these areas as it is very difficult to remove later.

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
Sorry, was not clear in my question. Do you paint the whole of the Unitrack including the ballast? I have seen this done on another site. They recommend putting oil on the top of the rails to make it easier to clean the paint off the tops. I have the concrete sleepers so a bit concerned about painting everything brown and then having to paint the ties.

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
Sorry, was not clear in my question. Do you paint the whole of the Unitrack including the ballast? I have seen this done on another site. They recommend putting oil on the top of the rails to make it easier to clean the paint off the tops. I have the concrete sleepers so a bit concerned about painting everything brown and then having to paint the ties.

Sorry, misunderstood - I just paint the rails, which as mentioned is much easier to do before laying the track, although once ballasting is complete I give the whole thing a very thin wash of grime (mix of black and brown) colour, just to tone it down a bit and blend the colours.

Bob

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »
Thanks Bob, have found your pictures on another thread. This will be the method that I use although I am experimenting with various brown paint/marker pens to do the rails as got fed up after spending an hour just doing one track section - and only one of the tracks in it. I have the concrete ties double track so not sure yet how to do the bit between the two tracks. Bit worried about getting any of the ballast in the locos. What proportions did you use for your wash?

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »
Thanks Bob, have found your pictures on another thread. This will be the method that I use although I am experimenting with various brown paint/marker pens to do the rails as got fed up after spending an hour just doing one track section - and only one of the tracks in it. I have the concrete ties double track so not sure yet how to do the bit between the two tracks. Bit worried about getting any of the ballast in the locos. What proportions did you use for your wash?

You could try masking the sleepers between the track and at the edges and then use a spray can? Tamiya do a range of narrow masking tapes.

I am not sure what ratio I use for the wash, but would advise that you start light on a small section, let it dry and adjust. I would recommend about 1 : 5 paint to water as a start and see how it looks. It will always dry much lighter than the initial impression. I put a tiny drop of washing up liquid in with mine as it helps flow. I do the same with my ballast pva mix. I made up a test track with one long length of Kato track and experimented on it.

Bob

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2011, 11:56:08 AM »
As I have said on the parallel Kato Unitrack thread, I'm generally very limited for time in my modelling, but needed to complete my new layout in time for Warley. Therefore, I just sprayed my track lock stock and barrell with Tamiya Red-Brown spray paint. I didn't even cover the point blades on some points and everything still runs OK. All I did was take the paint off the top of the running rail.

On the wooden sleeper track because of the way it is constructed, the sleepers still look a slightly different colour to the ballast after the all over spray so even that doesn't need any more work!

The one thing I have done after reviewing the resuilts is to craeta a bit of variation on colouring by distressing the resulting painted ballast with a wire brush so that in places, hints of the original light grey appear.
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline BRCW26010

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2011, 12:36:15 PM »
Hi :wave: Thank you all. This is a very useful thread for me as I am looking into N for the first time and although my eyes are shot and I have no room for even a very small oo scale layout in our new flat N gauge seems ideal - especially if i don't have to solder :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:  Frankly if I'd known about Kato/ Tomix I'd have built a layout long ago :) So thanks for all the info. I have a Dapol 66 which I intend to fit with the new magnetic couplings cos for me shunting is what it's all about. I presume the new couplings can be adjusted to match the magnet height on Kato or Tomix track? The only off-putting aspect is that I read somewhere that Dapol 66's can have trouble with even #6 points. Does anyone know if that is so or have any ideas? Thanks in advance and Happy Christmas :)
'The man who never made a mistake never made anything.' My life! I must be the most productive person on the planet!!

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »
Have tried the Gordon method brushing on some brown acrylic paint all over a single track concrete tie track and I am pleased with it. A fair match for the track at Dawlish.

Used a piece of cork to remove the paint from the top of the rails whist they were still wet and also ran a piece of cork over the tops of the rail ties and some of the rails so that the base concrete colour showed through. This worked well.

Next step is to experiment with the double track. The Dawlish pictures show grey ballast piled up between the tracks - so my Kato grey ballast won't be wasted.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
Can you do some pictures please Pendy, would be useful to see the stages yo carry out  :thumbsup:

Offline BRCW26010

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
In a Railway Modeller earlier in the year there was a great layout featured using Kato Unitrack. In the accompanying article which I kept but now seem to have lost :( :'(  I think the author mentioned that Dapol Cl 66's have difficulty with one type of Kato points. My problem is I can't recall which one!! If anyone has the article can they please clarify/ correct me where I am wrong? I would hate to spend money only to discover that I have the wrong thing!! Cheers.
'The man who never made a mistake never made anything.' My life! I must be the most productive person on the planet!!

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »
Don't have any experience of the Dapol 66 but there is quite a bit on the internet about #4 points causing derailments and needing to be 'tuned'.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £275.00
Above Goal: £220.00
Site Currency: GBP
500% 
December Donations

Advertise Here