!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: kato track  (Read 15785 times)

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
Re: kato track
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 08:33:01 AM »
Kato have just released some new track plans to show what can be done, have a look at http://www.katomodels.com/unitrackplan/

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »
I have used Kato unitrack for some time now mainly as a 'set it up when you get there' fiddle yard for the club French N gauge .

I have just built a new all-Kato Unirack layout (French N gauge again) which will be at Warley. To tone the tracj down in an instant, I sprayed it with Tamiya red-brown model spray paint, even the points will stnd up to this treatment. Once painted just scrub off the paint from the top of the rail and it worls just as well as unpainted mint condition track.

I have limited the amount of blending in that I have done on the layout because I find the one drawback to permanently fixed down Unitrack is that fixiing it rigidly compromises some of the 'free play' that helps stock to run well on Unitrack.

Purists at Warley will probably complain that the ballast doesn't blend in quite well enough  in parts but experience of running layouts at shows for 35+ years tells me that trouble free running causes fewer issues with the watching public than inch perfect visuals.

Like others, as a not that brilliant electrician, the 'plug and play' aspects of the electric points (and just recently I've bought the automatic colour light signal) are a godsend for a simple set up. I actually like the 'real signalbox size' chunkiness of the point levers as well.

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »
Hi Gordon, any chance of some pictures of the layout and the track as Warley is too far for me to travel. I have Kato track and will want to do something with it - particularly at the enjoiners. Know what you mean about the points, they have really made my life easier! interesting point about the 'free play', I am a new to Kato and my track at the moment is just fixed with the point wiring - perhaps I will leave it that way.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Oldman

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Grumpy old git who hates sport
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »
If either of you contemplating doing more with Kato Track are local to the Surrey area, feel free to contact me via PM and you can try your stuff in conjunction with the large box of track I have.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Offline bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 08:01:22 PM »
did kato change their track recently or produce more realistically ballasted track????

gordon, i'm looking forward to seeing your layout on saturday if i can get there. i love sncf locos and dmus and railcars, i wish i could afford french n gauge but minitrix, piko etc are so expensive.

cheers

tim

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 08:40:45 AM »
Hi all.
I have noticed that Kato now produce ballast that appears to match closely the grey moulded plastic track bed. This should assist in blending the track into the layout. I have not tried it, having used light grey very fine ballast in the past, which requires a bit of painting to get an even appearance. I will try the Kato stuff on another layout I am planning for the future. Has anyone else tried it yet?

Here is a link to some on sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-KATO-UNITRACK-24-039-BALLAST-200GM-/120797230783?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c201376bf
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:35:20 AM by Bob(K) »

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »
I use both the concrete sleepered and the wooden sleepered type. I may or may not ballast but what I really want to do first is to disguise the unijoiners. Do any of you paint them and, if so, what colour paint is the best match?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 11:06:46 AM »
I use both the concrete sleepered and the wooden sleepered type. I may or may not ballast but what I really want to do first is to disguise the unijoiners. Do any of you paint them and, if so, what colour paint is the best match?

I am not sure whether this is the best match, but I paint my rail sides, including the joiners in a mid brown colour. In fact I use Humbrol 29, which is available in enamel, acrylic and spray versions. I think in this scale you should not paint the track too dark a colour and genuine rust looks too stark to my eyes.

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 12:20:55 PM »

Offline johnson

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 07:34:57 PM »
Hi I have used Kato track extensively - a bit limited sometimes but it is reliable especially the pointwork - Woodland Scenics do a great ballast to "blend in" the track - most makes seem to be able to run on it.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 08:18:21 PM »
I was looking at buying some track, as it does sound great. 

How do you plug in the points to make them work?  Is it literally a case of plugging them in a Kato Point Switch, and that connects to the power supply?

I'm looking at getting a crossover.  Does anyone have one?  Is it hard to wire that up, and what does it need?  Bare in mind I have nothing, other than a Gaugemaster controller!

Offline Oldman

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Grumpy old git who hates sport
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »
I was looking at buying some track, as it does sound great. 

How do you plug in the points to make them work?  Is it literally a case of plugging them in a Kato Point Switch, and that connects to the power supply?

I'm looking at getting a crossover.  Does anyone have one?  Is it hard to wire that up, and what does it need?  Bare in mind I have nothing, other than a Gaugemaster controller!
If you want, can pop over to yours sometime and bring a Kato Controller, Points,instructions, crossover,loads of track and the switches for you to see how they all work together
May even do a deal on it,All just sitting in a box.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 09:13:38 PM »
Sounds like a plan!  Thank you.

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »
For Warley, I used a Gaugemaster Combi. All you need to do is link all the track connector leads together (eg three track feed leads into the three ports of the one of the 3-into-1 extension leads (ref 24-827), then attach the single lead (ie one pair of wires) coming out of the adapter to the (dc) track output terminals on the controller.

For the points, attach the various point leads to the point levers (using extension leads 24-841 if your layout is as long as mine is now!), then link the bank of point levers (using the standard DC converter 24-842) to the ac terminals on the Gaugemaster.

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 11:09:25 AM »
Kato Y point due out in December.

Also new are 150mm (6 inch!) and 183mm (7 inch) radius curves

European railway expert

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here