!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Steinheim am Main  (Read 22547 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: BN-Dottendorf, or maybe Handorf (Westf.), now Steinheim/Main
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 08:59:33 AM »
Hmm, that pallet is not aligned with the edge of the road, very unGermanic! Ein platz fuer alles und alles im platz!

Online GScaleBruce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »
Looks very Wirtschaftswunder  :thumbsup:
Thank you - that is very much the idea I'm after.
Hmm, that pallet is not aligned with the edge of the road, very unGermanic! Ein platz fuer alles und alles im platz!
Ah, but it hides the join in the cobbles better that way ;) - Alles in Ordnung!
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Online GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »
So, the white hill became a brown hill and then a green hill. Now it's a forested hill...

Grass by Woodland Scenics, although with a bit of Gaugemaster (Noch) mat in front of the track and by the loco shed, trees by Heki - their "Stecktannen" which are simple wire trees sprayed with flock material, stuffed into a hole in the hillside. Not that different from planting 12" to the foot trees, really.
Bruce

Online GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »
 :)

Bruce

Online GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2015, 03:51:06 PM »
Slow progress, but progress nonetheless. Given the restricted space and the fact that the track literally weaves through the bookcase, you'll need to use a bit of imagination to blank out the shelving uprights...

And there's been some work on the long platform. The shelters to the subway are exquisite Noch laser cut "minis". Fiddly, but delicate. Dear, too; but so much better looking imho than the Metcalfe equivalent. There's still quite a bit to do on this platform, including railings along the back, seats and general platform furniture to add.

Bruce

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Thanks for the photo updates; looking very good.

Online GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »
The DB V100 fleet appears to be growing...

My original Arnold V100 from 1994 looks pretty good but I just can't seem to get it to run as smoothly as I'd like. I've stripped it down, rebuilt it, bought a new motor, repeated the exercise (apart from the new motor!) several times... still it trundles along for a while before then surging/slowing for no apparent reason.

The new Fleischmann V100 is much smoother, although the "altrot" is way too pink for my liking. Three pole motor, no flywheel, incandescent bulbs - technically not much advance on the Arnold design of 1994.

The final alternative is the Minitrix version. Minitrix are forcing purchasers towards the Marklin DCC system (or towards alternative suppliers!). Most of this year's new items are available in Selectrix mode only with no analogue version being offered. This model from 2008 was available in both DCC and analogue versions; although it is in Epoch IV rather than Epoch III livery. The red colour looks right; it has a motor with flywheel, although still with incandescent bulbs. It's a V100.20 (later class 212) rather than a V100.10 (later class 211).

Bruce

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »

The new Fleischmann V100 is much smoother, although the "altrot" is way too pink for my liking. Three pole motor, no flywheel, incandescent bulbs - technically not much advance on the Arnold design of 1994.

Hmm, interesting. My DR V100 (BR110) is modern enough - flywheel, LED lights and DCC socket (let's not talk about the failed can motor...) What's the model number of your V100?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 06:18:39 PM »

Hmm, interesting. My DR V100 (BR110) is modern enough - flywheel, LED lights and DCC socket (let's not talk about the failed can motor...) What's the model number of your V100?

The Fleischmann loco is catalogue no. 723006, and a new release. It was advertised last year as forming part of their "entry level" programme, which seems to be shorthand for "models we can't be bothered to update just yet but we fancy knocking out a few now anyway", although they seem to have dropped that terminology. These have the old three pole motor, no flywheel, incandescent bulbs and no DCC socket. They've also just released in ocean blue/beige, same old mechanicals.

It can be tricky (well, I think so, anyway!) to work out what mechanics lie under the bonnet. My class 23 steam loco has exactly the same motor as my 20+ year old class 38, for example, the only concession to modernity being a small electronics board holding the suppressor rather than it being hard wired. BT, I've slightly modified the quote to show the Fleischmann loco, apologies if my narrative wasn't clear on which loco was which.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 06:19:51 PM by GScaleBruce »
Bruce

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2015, 04:53:01 AM »
My DR V100 (model 721001) cost around 95 Euro (!), 723001 seems to be the modern equivalent of the DB V100 and going for a similar price. Anyway I just remembered I acquired model number 7230 on Ebay a while back which looks like the "original" version, it'll be interesting to see what that's like when it arrives.

I think there are also Roco and Lima versions (the Lima one also being available in BR blue), which I might grab if they go at a suitably low price on Ebay.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 10:18:05 AM »
The scenery is inching forwards in two areas since my last post; firstly, the platform that runs along the front of the layout has been completed. I'm going to plead that the photo doesn't really do it justice; it's very awkward to photograph being within the book shelving, and being long creates a depth of field problem too! Anyway, it's the platform to the right hand side in this picture:

Secondly (and more importantly for the inhabitants) both the country pub and a safe means of accessing it over a level crossing have been installed:

The brown area in the foreground is next for scenery and a farm building. Later this year Noch are releasing some orchard trees which will form part of the scene.

Bruce

Online GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2015, 05:37:55 PM »

Bruce

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »
Very nice photos., Bruce. Thanks.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »
The DB V100 fleet appears to be growing...

My original Arnold V100 from 1994 looks pretty good but I just can't seem to get it to run as smoothly as I'd like. I've stripped it down, rebuilt it, bought a new motor, repeated the exercise (apart from the new motor!) several times... still it trundles along for a while before then surging/slowing for no apparent reason.

The final alternative is the Minitrix version. Minitrix are forcing purchasers towards the Marklin DCC system (or towards alternative suppliers!). Most of this year's new items are available in Selectrix mode only with no analogue version being offered. This model from 2008 was available in both DCC and analogue versions; although it is in Epoch IV rather than Epoch III livery. The red colour looks right; it has a motor with flywheel, although still with incandescent bulbs. It's a V100.20 (later class 212) rather than a V100.10 (later class 211).

The Fleischmann catalogue lists all digital models as having multi mode decoders ie DCC & Selectrix

They are actually looking after their old customers who had bought the old FL Selectrix 1 system. Or want to use the updated Marklin kit, Selectrix 2.

Nick R

http://www.trixtrains.com/pdf/Trix_NI%20Broc_2015.pdf
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »
The farmhouse is now finished, and installed. There's more work to do to complete the setting, but here it is for now:

Bruce

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £337.00
Above Goal: £282.00
Site Currency: GBP
613% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything