!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Class 142 'Pacer'  (Read 75062 times)

Offline simonprelude

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Class 142 'Pacer'
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »
At Ally Pally, I was told the Pacers are probably at the back of the queue any probably won't surface until 2015.  :'(

Still got 11 months left I suppose.........

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2015, 04:40:59 PM »

Online PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2015, 05:37:51 PM »
Anticipated Release 3rd Quarter 2015

http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=179_298_300_580

Hi

I wouldn't read too much into that page. The class 56s were down for delivery in September 2014 and then in November I think it was then updated to Qtr 1 2015.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Jools

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »
Anticipated Release 3rd Quarter 2015

http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=179_298_300_580

Hi

I wouldn't read too much into that page. The class 56s were down for delivery in September 2014 and then in November I think it was then updated to Qtr 1 2015.

Cheers

Paul

It really does seems like the Dapol Pacers have been on anticipated release since my first foray into N Gauge ended about 8 years ago.

When I came back to the hobby last year, I thought, There must be a RTR 142 available now, only to be sorely disappointed  :'(
 - sure, the prototype is noisy, usually dangerously overcrowded and pig ugly, but you cant model the north-west of England without them.

As someone mentioned in a thread the other day, it does seem somewhat that dapol announced this one just to get BacFar to leave it alone, and then pushed it to the back of the queue for years when they realised it might be a bit complicated to produce.

Of course, just because Dapol have announced they intend to make it doesn't mean Farish (or anyone else) can't produce one,  but (unfortunately) with a small customer base for a product that has high initial R&D and Production costs, free market competition seems all but none existent in N gauge and while normally a lack of competition is bad for the consumer, its not necessarily a bad thing in a small market, as not competing on the same models gives a higher probability that the companies will return a profit on their investment because the market for that model isn't split.

anyway.. I've gone on abit about something we all already know and has been discussed a thousand times over!

..  i just hope that this year, when dapol say expected Q3 2015,  they at least get the Year right!   :P

Online acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2015, 12:04:13 AM »
At the rate dapol are going by the time the Pacers are avaliable in N gauge they will be like the steam engines they model well they will either be preserved.
Or the engine from the models will be made from the crap metal from cut up pacers

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2015, 10:47:46 AM »
This is the downside of the big manufacturers "bagging" prototypes as planned models before any work has been carried out - see also Dapol West Country, 33, etc...
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline BernardTPM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
This is the downside of the big manufacturers "bagging" prototypes as planned models before any work has been carried out
Mind you, I think the Dapol Pendolino has now missed it's departure slot!

Offline Zunnan

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17178
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2015, 11:03:46 PM »
With DC Kits/Realtrack using the Rapido facilities to produce their 00 gauge 143 and 144 I'd love to see Rapido steal a march here and take on the N Gauge model. Although it is well publicised that Realtrack did the R&D (according to both Charlie and Jason), Rapido could potentially have arrangements in place for the 00 work to go into the shrink ray. They are afterall not the same prototype as the Dapol 142 so technically not treading on anyones toes. And to my eyes at least is a slightly more attractive (or is that slightly less repugnant?) vehicle with a geographical spread that takes them from Wales and the SouthWest (143) to West Yorkshire (144). When Jason puts his mind to a model he doesn't hang around, so this pipe dream of mine very realistically could appear before any Dapol model...It just needs Rapido to announce one...But then Jason has been hinting at 'Northern England' and 'under-investment in northern rail services' when discussing his next UK outline venture. Then again, he is exceptionally good at deliberately stirring the froth. You never know though, it just could be!
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Online acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2015, 11:40:17 PM »
Well cant argue while not strictly the area I am modelling I have seen 143s and 144s in Manchester at some stage so I would be in for that if they appeared before a 142, lets face it they all give the same feelings in real life! A sense of sea sickness mixed in with whiplash and a throbbing headache!
Ahh with Jason hinting at something northern and underinvestment that could be anything from the "new" class 319s the government promised to the horse and carts that will most likely replace the pacers!!

Offline Jools

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2015, 12:14:06 AM »
Well cant argue while not strictly the area I am modelling I have seen 143s and 144s in Manchester at some stage so I would be in for that if they appeared before a 142, lets face it they all give the same feelings in real life! A sense of sea sickness mixed in with whiplash and a throbbing headache!
Ahh with Jason hinting at something northern and underinvestment that could be anything from the "new" class 319s the government promised to the horse and carts that will most likely replace the pacers!!

Though it's very rare these days 144ís did used to creep on the Leeds-Manchester Victoria service every now and then - I travelled on a couple when I was commuting to Manchester from Rochdale in 2002-2004 and always thought it novel that these 3 car units were available as substitutes for failed 2 car 142ís  where there wasnt often room to stand up - typical TOC logic :-\

Offline 47475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »
Don't forget the 143s in the North East based at Heaton too, in both Provincial Blue & Tyne & Wear PTE liveries, followed by Regional Railways just before their move south. I would buy the first two of these in a heartbeat. They disappeared around 1992 if I remember correctly.

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2015, 08:51:24 PM »
I would buy 141 in the Green and White, 142 in Provincial livery and 144 in the Red and Cream.

Offline Jools

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »
I would buy 141 in the Green and White, 142 in Provincial livery and 144 in the Red and Cream.

unfortunately Dapol, if they ever do get around to releasing the 142, aren't planning to release it in the coulour scheme i remember most (I can't say fondly) from my youth - GMPTE orange

So it would have to be provincial for me too! - along with the more modern "modern" first north western one!

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2015, 09:05:27 PM »
Provincial isn't planned either :(

unfortunately Dapol, if they ever do get around to releasing the 142, aren't planning to release it in the coulour scheme i remember most (I can't say fondly) from my youth - GMPTE orange

So it would have to be provincial for me too! - along with the more modern "modern" first north western one!

Offline mickster04

• N Gauge Society Number: 26540
  • The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards