!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Class 142 'Pacer'  (Read 75534 times)

Offline chrisgy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Class 142 'Pacer'
« Reply #465 on: January 11, 2020, 10:59:52 AM »
According to Dapol Digest and MD, a new run will be made in 2020. They are consulting on liveries. GW chocolate and cream is favourite. This was also used in Manchester area when unit transferred. Original blue livery of Provincial is another idea. Looking through the Pacer Family book - Manchester orange livery looks good. Merseyrail yellow is a another. I also noted Regional Railways livery as Arriva Trains. There seem to be a dozen to choose from.

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #466 on: January 11, 2020, 11:03:54 AM »
I would have bought a chocolate and cream one, as I was modelling into the late 1980s when it was first announced, and I remember the Hornby one.
But now I'm firmly 1950s - 1970s and its no longer my desire to have one. In any colour!
Bob

Offline Bartercode

• Awards
« Reply #467 on: January 11, 2020, 11:20:01 AM »
Manchester and Merseyrail would be very welcome. Puzzled they missed those and did Tyneside livery instead on the first batch tbh

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #468 on: January 11, 2020, 03:51:16 PM »
My layout was conceived to be 1959 to 1969 and that will be the mainstay. However I have an HST in original livery and a class 50 with a few mk2s. I reckon a chocolate and cream skipper would be ok with these to make a "sometime on the 1980s" era cameo. Not quite perfect together  but not too far adrift.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Offline richierich

• Awards
« Reply #469 on: January 12, 2020, 12:08:24 PM »
According to Dapol Digest and MD, a new run will be made in 2020. They are consulting on liveries. GW chocolate and cream is favourite. This was also used in Manchester area when unit transferred. Original blue livery of Provincial is another idea. Looking through the Pacer Family book - Manchester orange livery looks good. Merseyrail yellow is a another. I also noted Regional Railways livery as Arriva Trains. There seem to be a dozen to choose from.

Skipper brown and cream 142s where also allocated to Heaton, so appeared in the North East and Yorkshire / Humberside. This would use the 142/0 tooling.

Provincial blue 142s can be both 142/0 and 142/1 tooling.

Both of the above could be done to represent the early-mid 1990s  with the two leaf doors in yellow, Plus the NRN roof aerial as BR modified the fleet.

Regional Railways livery would also work well with 142/0 and 142/1 tooling and I think could produce these with both the original four leaf and later two leaf doors.

Id buy all of the above.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:09:50 PM by richierich »

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #470 on: January 12, 2020, 02:19:47 PM »
i am a bit disappointed with the dapol 142 running qualities and shape. i would have been in for buying more - in gmpte orange, provincial or chocolate and cream, or maybe even the t&wpte one, but not so sure now. it depends on the price.

its not terrible, but its not up to the standard of other new models.

it would be good if dapol could revise the 142 - maybe look at creating interiors that could be separate molded pieces just added in to it, also the connector between vehicles is not v robust imo.

maybe revolution or sonic will make a 143 or 144 one day...

tim

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #471 on: January 12, 2020, 03:41:58 PM »
it would be good if dapol could revise the 142 - maybe look at creating interiors that could be separate molded pieces just added in to it, also the connector between vehicles is not v robust imo.
tim

While I agree, I wouldn't hold your breath. I would think another 5-10 years before anyone attempts another, more accurate, Pacer.
You are right, Dapol's model is not up to today's standards, but I have the Northern Rail one and may buy another if they re-release that livery, it's good enough, and better than anything I could scratch build.
As I model the North West I'd rather see the CL195 & CL331 over a revamped Pacer. Especially as the TPE fleet is being covered by Revs and (hopefully) Kato.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal