!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scale speed  (Read 4251 times)

Offline DELETED

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Expire
    • Awards
Re: Scale speed
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »
Interesting re:  scale speeds and what I personally think look right, based on he fact we normally can't squeeze in scale track lengths, and the fact I have such a small layout I don't like it when the same train appears every 12 seconds!  I think "scale speed" usually needs knocking back a few 10's of %, but appreciate it's just my take.

I was just fiddling with some quick videos, actually I took this one playing with my new HTC phone (the lighting is terrible): when I play it back on the phone it sounds just like a real diesel and I get the "click clack" over rail joints also -who needs sound chips!  Alas it doesn't seem to sound the same when I watch it on my laptop, but in any case the loco is just crawling along in reality, but when you get down to a "scale viewpoint" looks like it's going much faster and absolutely right in my eyes anyway...

...Terrible wheel wobble on some of the OBA's I just got hold of!

Online DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: Scale speed
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 02:48:48 PM »
I also found this article online (John Chandler on Gaugemaster website) which also has a downloadable EXCEL file showing scale speeds for all model scales:
http://www.gaugemaster.com/articles/guides/scale-speed.html

The easiest way for me to visualise this is "how fast should a loco cover a yard" - and the answer for N is:
  • Real world 15mph -> 21.8 seconds to cover a yard of N gauge model layout
  • Real world 30mph -> 10.9 seconds
  • Real world 60mph -> 5.5 seconds
....and for your crack expresses:
  • Real world 100mph -> 3.3 seconds to cover a yard of your model

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109%