New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Aberayron to Pencader  (Read 20588 times)

Offline LAandNQFan

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Aberayron to Pencader
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2016, 11:31:21 PM »
After a long hiatus, involving moving house, getting a new shed, wiring, insulating, flooring, panelling, lighting and painting it, I'm back in business.
The new shed is a foot wider, so that the bend round Henllan will be easier and leave more room for scenery.
I've made the control panel for Pencader, using full isolators and feeds, but I'm wondering if I can feed the sidings at Henllan from one feed between the points on the goods loop.  I've read a lot about changing the wiring under Electrofrog points, but if I can do it with standard unmodified points that would be a lot easier.  The main snag would be if I experienced shorts between the stock rails and the back of the switch blades.
So
 :helpneededsign:
Has anyone experience of GWR Panniers shorting between stock rail and switch blade when traversing unmodified short Electrofrog points?  Reassurance that it doesn't usually happen would be very encouraging.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline A.Carter (BiG-T)

• N Gauge Society Number: 22937
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2016, 08:30:46 AM »
Hi firstly I don't know of a 4 pole push to make switch that is readily available and reasonably priced you may have to do a bit of research on the Internet.
Secondly the reed relay you have linked to is just that a 'relay' if these are for under the track to sense the loco presence you need 'reed switches' these are also available from Maplins, however the motor magnets in the locos are not strong enough to operate them you will need to glue a magnet under the loco somewhere I use the small rare earth neodymium magnets available on eBay etc.

Tony

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
Hi firstly I don't know of a 4 pole push to make switch that is readily available and reasonably priced you may have to do a bit of research on the Internet.

I have ten of them bought in error!

It doesn't have to be PTM of course - could be a regular toggle.

Cheers  Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2016, 10:19:28 AM »
Thanks, Tony and Jon.
I did decide to use a DPDT toggle switch to change between the two states needed on those hidden sidings.  Thrown for "in" the siding will be +/- and the isolated section will be dead on both rails.  The reed switch will be where the engine will lose power, with the magnet under the loco where it will operate the switch.  Thrown for "out" the siding will change to -/+ and the isolated section will also be -/+ to drive the train out onto the loop without any short.
Brimal do a neat little kit for detecting a train, providing a reedswitch, magnet, LED, capacitor and dropping resistor.  When I explained that I wanted to detect stationary N-gauge trains in six hidden sidings, they very helpfully suggested that they should supply ten of the kits with 3mm magnets, take out six of the capacitors as they won't be needed for stationary trains which will be giving continuous signals, supply a 6mm magnet for me to experiment with, and knock off the postage and packing in lieu of the unwanted capacitors.  I'll use the other four sets to provide a normal signal showing that the trains are moving round the loops.  I'm hoping that the right place for the magnets will be under the draw bars of tender engines, but experiments will be needed. 
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2016, 12:53:47 PM »
I've bought some of Brimal's kits for train detection and am starting the big board for Carmarthen-Pencader-Aberystwyth.  I want to use the detection sets (LED, capacitor, dropping resistor) for train detection when the trains are stationary in the hidden sidings on the low level.  They have told me that the magnets (they supplied 3mm magnets with an extra 6mm to experiment with) need to be within 10mm of the reed switch to operate it.  On the slopes to the sidings I'll use some of the sets to detect trains, but in the sidings I want the trains to stop automatically in a double insulated section of track which will only be live (at reverse polarity) when the train drives back out) so that the magnet is above the reed switch and the LED is lit permanently while the train is there - so no capacitor on those circuits.
I should be very grateful for some advice:
1) Is the orientation of the reed switch critical?  Looking closely at them, I can see two flattened wires in the centre. Do the flattened surfaces have to be horizontal?
2) I presume that resistors can go either way round - I can't see any directional arrow which the capacitors have.
3) I remember that Caz commented about the difficulty of adding magnets to small steam locos.  I hope that putting magnets under the drawbar of the tender locos will work, but wonder what to do about the Prairie.  My Panniers and 0-4-2s probably won't work the main line.
BTW, having failed horribly in my first attempt to convert a Prairie to EasiShunts, I've obtained some spare Prairie pony trucks from DCC in order to see if I can improve my techniques.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2016, 09:54:06 PM »
An operation on my hand last month gave me the chance to make a control panel for the main part of the layout.  As you can see from the multi-coloured spaghetti, I love solving the problems of learning basic electronics and putting them into practice.  I not only gave myself some motivation for an hour's physical therapy each day but saved myself over £1000 by not buying all the hi-tec control equipment which I would have needed if I went DCC.  Having had to program computers for work since the early eighties, it is a very enjoyable change to learn to use a soldering iron, resistors, capacitors, LEDs etc. and I can afford to buy some track to connect this lot to!
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
 :thumbsup: Thanks to Caz for helping me with my previous queries.  :thumbsup:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2016, 10:08:08 PM »
Actually,  for someone who reckons he's just learning, that is very commendable work!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2016, 10:30:14 PM »
Thanks, Bealman.  :beers: I know it's not your thing.  It is the first layout I've built for myself.  The most expenisve bit was the multi-tester to see if I was getting any wires crossed or burning through any insulation with the iron!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2016, 11:13:00 PM »
 :hellosign: impressive work, looks brilliant
regards Derek.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2016, 10:51:29 PM »
It has taken a while, but I've scratch-built the station for Aberayron and completed the track-laying and wiring for the hidden sidings.  "Carmarthen" and "Aberystwyth" are fully operational and all the track-occupation LEDs worked as I hoped.  :angel:  When an engine comes to an automatic stop on the polarity-reversible section of the reversing loops a magnet 2" back down the line (under the middle of the first coach or the second wagon) works the reed switch.
I'm not impressed by my paintwork on Aberayron when exposed to the macro facility on the camera and will have to have another go at the Dark Stone.  The signal box is Metcalfe, cut apart and assembled in reverse to suit the site.  I still don't know whether to model the "proper" engine shed or make up the Ratio kit I have.  The actual shed in the 1930s was a replacement for the first one which burnt down.  To save money, a shed which was due to be demolished at Wrexham was re-erected at Aberayron, and it was ugly enough to ruin the look of any model!  Do I go for prototypical accuracy or make it look pretty?  :confused2:

Aberayron station building and signal box.  The gap is because the ground level behind the building was lower than at the front.

Full length of the low-level sidings and loops.

Contol panel with track-occupancy LEDs.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2016, 09:15:35 AM »
Very impressive work. As long as anything looks good at normal viewing distance (as opposed to a camera close-up) then it's fine, I think.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2016, 10:44:34 AM »
As CiP says - that's impressive work.
It's unlikely your layout will be viewed through a macro lens so don't be too hard on yourself :no:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2016, 10:58:04 AM »
Agree.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2016, 11:12:13 AM »
Think this is going to be another of the forum's awesome layouts, it's coming on a treat.   :thumbsup:

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2016, 11:19:37 AM »
That's a very good effort on the station, I'd hate anybody to put my efforts under a magnifying glass  :goggleeyes: and as for the engine shed I'd go for the Ratio, have a look at Port Perrans excellent example for encouragement!
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here