New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Aberayron to Pencader  (Read 20603 times)

Offline LAandNQFan

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Aberayron to Pencader
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »
 :laughabovepost:  I don't know whether I'll get away with chocolate and cream as I'm saving money after buying that monster and should use what I have in stock.   :unimpressed: :unimpressed: :unimpressed:  I could pretend the Chestnut gave out half way up the shed and I had to continue with Harvest Gold....   But as it's a GW building, shouldn't it be in cream with "light stone" framing? I thought chocolate was for coaches.  :confused2:
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2014, 08:59:24 AM »
Your correct . Sorry a senior moment but you must get some thing on before the weather gets worse once the wet gets in you will have to wait till summer for it to dryout.You and Tank could then have a shed competition SR. v GWR one vote for GWR already My shed is to big to paint it is much cheaper to use creosote but you can't  get the genuine stuff now  :censored: health and safety ,you just couldn't beat the smell of fresh creosote,Good luck at least you can now escape all the soaps on tele and go down the shed.
Bob

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2014, 09:12:28 AM »
My missus promised she'd get me a shed when she retired... problem is she's still working and talking about moving to Tasmania when she does!  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »
My missus promised she'd get me a shed when she retired... problem is she's still working and talking about moving to Tasmania when she does!  :worried:

I thought Tasmania was a devilish fantasy, oh hec do they have electricity there!
Geoff

Online ColinH

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24448
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »

You won't need the shed when she goes then - you'll have the whole house to play in  :angel:
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2014, 09:38:29 AM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Geoff: Actually, they do, and it's one of my favourite places on the planet. I would have no prob moving there.  :thumbsup:

Colin: already been there done that... we lived apart for 12 years!  ;)

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »
Enough with the complaints about wives' viewing habits and puns on antipodean marsupials already.   :-X  Back to the Railway Room aka the shed.
After two coats of Cuprinol Ducksback, no sign of water penetration followed yesterday's driving rain.  I've never put valuable electronic equipment in a wooden building before, so...
from the top down the roof has heavy duty felt, tongue and groove timber, an air gap, then bubble wrap insulation covered with impermeable aluminium foil on both sides;
from the outside in the walls have two coats of waxy paint, shiplap timber, an air gap, bubble wrap insulation covered with impermeable aluminium foil on both sides, another air gap then 6mm ply;
but the floor has only the heavy duty tongue and groove timber.  Should I be putting an impermeable membrane there to stop damp rising?  If I use the bubble wrap I would have to batten and board above it, which would take a couple of inches off the headroom.  At present I just clear the light fittings, and I would like to keep it that way.   :help: Has anyone any experience of the necessity of floor insulation?
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2014, 04:17:19 AM »
Living where I do there's no real need for floor insulation, but I DO know that putting carpet down makes your railway area so much more pleasant to work in, visitors appreciate it, and it looks good too.

Online Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2014, 07:00:24 AM »
Make sure you havent made it airtight or you will suffocate when you close the door ;)

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2014, 07:44:37 AM »
 :laughabovepost: and I was just about to draught-proof the door....
All solvent-based activities will take place elsewhere!  :thumbsup:

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »
Ignore the colours if you cab but something like this may help.

I got similar from B&Q in grey a few years back. V comfy in our mini gym.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homcom-Interlocking-Floor-Foam-Play/dp/B009HPFLX0

Dave G

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2014, 10:55:14 PM »
 :thankyousign:  Your hint got me searching, DaveG, and I found Far East Direct were selling 64sq.ft. in blue for 32 including delivery.  I'll report on the quality when I get them during the week.

:helpneededsign:  I've completed my first station in Code 80.  I have some more track in 80 but not enough for the rest of the layout.
Questions:
1) Should I go for Code 55 for the remaining visible parts of the layout and save the 80 for the fiddle yards?
2) I'm pleased with the results of the Gaugemaster foam ballast and the Code 80.  Does it suit the Code 55 as well?
3) My tracks down to the the fiddle yards are curved.  How do I manage a gradient on a curve?
4) As one end of the fiddle yard approach will have to be 9" or 10" radius, should I use Settrack?  I remember that in Orribly Overscale a tight bend in flexitrack compressed the gauge.

Thanks in anticipation,
David

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2014, 09:15:34 AM »
I chose Code 55 for the entire plan and did try the Gaugemaster under with it. Struggled to get it seated and gave up on the foam idea and went for loose ballast.

You'll get better advice than from me re your other questions but I understand that inclines on curves should be planned carefully. The big 'No' seems to be putting points (switches) on an incline.

No experience of Settrack but again understand that some locos, esp kettles, will struggle with 9" radius curves. I think Dapol actually state the minimum radius in the loco running-in instructions.

HTH.

Dave G

Offline steve836

• N Gauge Society Number: 22948
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2014, 10:52:48 AM »
Hello David & welcome,
 On my layout I have used code 80 on sections in tunnel and on a couple of hidden curves used Setrac with Peco underlay. The visible sections are code 55 with Gaugemaster underlay. Gaugemaster do a kit for pointwork which consists of a sheet of foam the thickness of the inset portion of their plain track underlay and a bag of ballast to match. No-one told me about the deterioration of the Peco underlay until I joined the forum, however I had used it before and found it ok after 20 years so figure it should last longer than me.
I'm modelling steam/diesel transition era and the Setrac curves are on a branch so only smaller locos will use it. however on my last layout I used Setrac curves on the main line because I didn't trust myself with getting Streamline to curve properly at such a tight radius. I had no trouble with any of my locos negotiating such a tight curve. By the way I find that code 55, code 80 & Setrac all connect together with no problems.
Your layout is looking good!
Steve
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2014, 04:25:23 PM »
The floor and support frames are now done, and the Aberayron bases are in position.

:thankyousign: Thanks to DaveG for the idea about gym mats for the floor.  Far East Direct supplied all blue mats for half the price of those on Ama$on; the quality is good, they are easy to lay and cut, they are comfortable to walk on and easy to clean.  :thumbsup:
Thanks to DaveG and Steve for their advice about tracks.  I'll try Henllan in Code 55 and see how I get on.
And thanks to ScottyStitch for his research into PowerBase, which I think has saved me from an expensive mistake.  Have DCConcepts sorted the N-gauge problem out yet?

:helpneededsign: I still can't work out how to slope a plywood trackbase as the line turns corners, and I think that the Woodland Scenics 2 o slope sections are going to save a lot of bother.  Has anyone tried them?

You were right, OnlyMe, about sealing myself in.  Despite the change in the weather, the shed is so well insulated that the lights and body heat keep the whole place toasty.   ;D

Now to make the river and finish wiring Aberayron....

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here