New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My Layout  (Read 10365 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My Layout
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »
The only other thing that I can suggest is to run the fiddle yard line around the outside left edge of the layout and along the front. That would allow you to assemble a train.
Not sure if you have the room to get the curve in though.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2018, 09:04:57 PM »
The only other thing that I can suggest is to run the fiddle yard line around the outside left edge of the layout and along the front. That would allow you to assemble a train.
Not sure if you have the room to get the curve in though.

That's what I was thinking. Some sort of temporary track that you can clip on while operating to give a loop from the fiddle yard siding at the left around to a short run at the front. Down to whether your locos will handle a 9" radius curve, but otherwise fairly easy to set up.

Offline Nick

• N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2018, 09:06:40 PM »
I really like your layout, Its got so much detail in such a small space without being over crowded which I always end up doing in the planning stages.

What I would like to know a lot more than anything else is the connectors on the front of the layout, are they for the power?
If so what are they as I am lacking similar for my layout and will do for future ones.

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Thanks for the kind words. :-[

The connectors at the front make the DCC track bus available, so that I can plug in (e.g.) a Gaugemaster wheel cleaner or a short length of test track if I have the need, without having to unplug and re-plug things or precariously attach croc clips to the running tracks.

They are simple banana connector sockets from Maplin, of blessed memory....
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2018, 09:09:33 PM »
I really like your layout, Its got so much detail in such a small space without being over crowded which I always end up doing in the planning stages.

What I would like to know a lot more than anything else is the connectors on the front of the layout, are they for the power?
If so what are they as I am lacking similar for my layout and will do for future ones.

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Thanks for the kind words. :-[

The connectors at the front make the DCC track bus available, so that I can plug in (e.g.) a Gaugemaster wheel cleaner or a short length of test track if I have the need, without having to unplug and re-plug things or precariously attach croc clips to the running tracks.

They are simple banana connector sockets from Maplin, of blessed memory....

thanks.
Its just I'm going to end up with two layouts and with only one controller I don't want to have to undo the wires from my combi all the time, which right now is getting on my nerves just to be able to run my N track and my 00 shunting layout.
Neither are permanent but I would help me if I could just connect up and unplug easily.
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man.
Let history make it's own judgments.

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2018, 09:09:54 PM »
Another more radical solution...

From the topmost of your 3 sidings on the right fiddle yard, take a spur off to the left (where the middle of your layout is). Cut away a chunk of the left board to allow that line to drop down *below* the board and loop around to the front. That gives you more wiggle room to do a wider curve.

Of course that will only work if there's access/space under the layout to allow it.

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2018, 09:17:12 PM »
Its just I'm going to end up with two layouts and with only one controller I don't want to have to undo the wires from my combi all the time, which right now is getting on my nerves just to be able to run my N track and my 00 shunting layout.
Neither are permanent but I would help me if I could just connect up and unplug easily.
I'd recommend Neutrik Speakon connectors. I use 2 pole, others use 4 pole. Positive locking and pretty much bomb proof.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Nick

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2018, 09:21:03 PM »
thanks.

To connect up to the layout I used some plugs and sockets a bit like industrial strength DIN plugs. They go in at the left hand end of the layout. I use the same arrangement to connect the two baseboards, so that, should the need arise, I can connect to the right hand one in isolation for problem solving etc.

I can't think what they are called. I'll find out and post a picture. They weren't cheap, but they are very robust and very positive, so will withstand repeated plugging and unplugging, which original envisaged.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:30:27 PM by Nick, Reason: correct typo »
Nick

Offline Nick

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2018, 09:23:11 PM »
Sorry, Nick, but I have been staring at your layout for 10 minutes or so and no solution comes to mind other than swivelling the layout through 180 degrees so the fiddle yard is at the front (as it were) but I don't know whether this allows you to operate it or not
Well, I could, but then I wouldn't be able to see the scenic area without standing up all the while - and I'm getting too old for that... :(
Nick

Offline Nick

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2018, 09:29:58 PM »
Could you jiggle things about a bit, and put a 90 degree left hand curve from the left of the current fiddle yard headshunt, and fit a new detachable fiddle yard down the left hand side?
I possibly could. It does seem like a good way forward, partly because, as a train will always leave the scenic area loco first, it would be pulled into the new yard. Attaching anything the right means pushing the train down the entire length of the layout.

One complication is that the power plugs (referred to a moment ago) are on the left hand end, so the new fiddle yard would have to bridge over those somehow. Or I'd have to relocate them. Mmm. needs thinking about.

It probably wouldn't be necessary to run round to the front as a couple of others have suggested. Not sure.
Nick

Offline Nick

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2018, 09:39:10 PM »
Another more radical solution...

From the topmost of your 3 sidings on the right fiddle yard, take a spur off to the left (where the middle of your layout is). Cut away a chunk of the left board to allow that line to drop down *below* the board and loop around to the front. That gives you more wiggle room to do a wider curve.

Of course that will only work if there's access/space under the layout to allow it.
I think that one's a non-starter - the layout is sitting on a flat work surface, and the wiring density under the baseboard would make the job a nightmare as well.
Nick

Offline Nick

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »
I'd recommend Neutrik Speakon connectors. I use 2 pole, others use 4 pole. Positive locking and pretty much bomb proof.
That's it. It was Neutrik connectors  I used, but I used the XLR types.

They carry DCC track, programming and accessory buses and a 16V AC supply. Eight wires in total, I used two different types of four pole connectors, so that I simply can't plug things in incorrectly.
Nick

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
High time for an update, please!

Offline Nick

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2018, 10:58:54 AM »
High time for an update, please!
High time to do some work on the layout, more like... :worried:

I've been away a fair bit since the last flurry of posts, between work and pleasure, so not much has happened. I've also been clearing the decks of part completed projects in other modelling disciplines, so that's taken what little time I've had.

I can't see me doing anything about the fiddle yard issue until at least Xmas time. I bought myself a Class 08 at TINGS and I want to fit sound into it, so that's waiting for me to "screw my courage to the sticking place" , as it were, and start carving metal. (I never knew that the Bard was a railway modeller. Ahead of his time, obviously.)

The other  thing I've been playing with is creating a timetable, which turned into a surprising amount of work, and is still unfinished. I think it needs a block of time set aside specifically and then work it till it's done, rather than tinkering at it when I've a few minutes to spare.
Nick

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
Thanks for the update, Nick. I hope that we won't have to wait until Christmas for the next one.

Compiling a timetable is something I really enjoy. It can be time-consuming but I find it relaxing. I use an Excel spreadsheet and a suitable "District Controller's View" WTT from Xpress Publishing for inspiration. (Some WTTs are also free, online.)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything