New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wenlock - A WR Branch Terminus...Extension Underway!  (Read 17634 times)

Offline Ollie3440

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18238
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
Re: Wenlock - A WR Branch Terminus
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 04:45:49 PM »
That's quite a list Chris!!

My aim is to run this in early BR days (early 1950s) so all steam (with a possible exception of a GWR railcar). I'm also planning to keep stock purchasing to a minimum (a rarity for me!!) so that all stock will fit into one stock box.

Loco wise I plan on the following:
57XX/8750 Pannier
45XX Prairie (I prefer the straight sided tanks)
64XX Pannier
Possibly a 14XX, but not a major 'want'

As the loop can only fit 2 coaches I am planning on a B-Set and I'm currently on the lookout for a set at a decent price for me to repaint into BR Crimson. Either a Crimson or Crimson/Cream Autocoach will also be in the mix. I may also go for a couple of random other coaches to create a mixed rake, Hawksworth mixed with a MK1 suburban maybe? A Crimson NGS Collett BG has also been ordered.

I plan a variety of freight that'll make pick up goods services. Box Vans, Open Wagons, Fruit D, Mineral, Cattle, Pipe/Tube etc. The Collett BG could also be used on a short milk train, what livery would be most suitable for the tankers?

Cheers,

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »
Sounds to me like there could be a good few Mk1s up for sale then, Ollie ;) >:D
From my days of selling milk bottle capping foil to various dairies I would suggest probably United Dairies as having travelled up from the Western Region :hmmm:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Ollie. I see that you've already got a good idea of what you want to run. The 64XX panniers are due out this year; I'm trying to resist buying one! The Dapol 45XXs are available, new, at very attractive prices. I believe they are Dapol's last production run of these. The Dapol 4575s were a limited edition and are more expensive to buy. The Dapol B Sets come up for sale regularly on eBay, particularly the BR Maroon ones (which I guess would be fairly easy to respray in BR Crimson). However, beware that the early models have faulty bogies which will need replacing to avoid derailments. (New bogies are available, e.g., from Hattons.)

The BR Suburban coaches are the short type, the WR used the long frame ones but, otherwise, yes, you could use one with a Collett or Hawksworth coach. I have seen pictures of such mixed pairs.

A shorter brake coach, e.g., BR Crimson ex-LMSR Stove R, can be used on milk trains if you want to save your longer Collett BG for parcels trains. I also think that United Dairies milk tankers (the Dapol 6-wheeled type not the Peco 4-wheelers) would be an appropriate choice.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:43:43 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 09:44:59 AM »
The Collett BG could also be used on a short milk train, what livery would be most suitable for the tankers?
By the mid 1950s virtually all milk tankers were silver. The pretty and colourful ones you see on Dapol's models are mostly pre-war. During the war they were mostly painted silver as a cost saving measure and as part of a unified milk production effort that eventually because the Milk Marketing Board.

After the war some went back to their original owners (primarily United Dairies and Express) but little effort seems to have been made to repaint even these until the mid 60s, when some moves were made to create recognisable brands. St Ivel is the notable one, part of the Unigate company (which was itself created by the merger of United Dairies and Cow & Gate).

Oddly enough, though the orange and white St Ivel livery was quite commonly seen in late 60s/early 70s milk trains, it hasn't been painted onto the otherwise rather generic Dapol tankers that seem to carry all sorts of other liveries! Even more oddly, some Dapol liveries seem, if they're not actually fictional, then extremely rare. There are two liveries, one for the Co-op and one for Express Dairies that use relatively modern logos and typefaces, so can't have been prewar, but I've not seen any photographic evidence of them anywhere. The Express Dairies one for example uses the swooshy "E" logo that appeared on their milk floats during the 60s, so can't be any earlier that that, and Express stopped shipping milk by rail during the mid 70s, so can't be any later.

One last observation would be that milk tanks were externally filthy. They were steam cleaned inside before loading, but given the time it took to move them (daily) between the countryside and the cities, there simply wasn't time to clean them on the outside.

Anyway, below is a rejigging of the table I produced for an NGS Journal article about a year ago, on the topic of Dapol's milk tank liveries. Basically, you can't go wrong with the plain silver ones if modelling anything post-nationalisation. You could slot one or two "old time" liveries in your train if you wanted, but heavily weathered, to replicate one that hadn't been repainted. Or perhaps you could buy some of the faintly fictional Co-op or Express Dairies ones, creating your own modern dairy industry on your branchline.

Cheers, NeMo

NB-028   Express (dark blue)   30s/40s/50s
NB-031   United Dairies (white)   30s/40s/50s
NB-031   IMS (red)   30s/40s
NB-032   Co-Op Wholesale (green)   30s/40s
NB-044   Co-Op Milk (white)   Unknown, 60s/70s typeface, but possibly fictional
NB-045   Milk Marketing Board   60s
NB-050   Unigate Creameries (silver)   60s/70s
NB-054   IMS (blue)   30s/40s
NB-056   Co-Op Wholesale (red)   30s/40s
NB-115A   Co-Op Milk (white)   Unknown, 60s/70s typeface, but possibly fictional
NB-115B   Milk Marketing Board   60s
NB-115C   Express (light blue)   Uses 60s/70s logo, but possibly fictional
NB-115D   IMS (blue)   30s
2F-031-001   United Dairies (white)   30s/40s/50s
2F-031-002   Express (dark blue)   30s/40s/50s
2F-031-003   IMS (red)   30s/40s
2F-031-004   Unigate Creameries (silver)   60s/70s
2F-031-005   Co-Op Milk (white)   Unknown, 60s/70s typeface, but possibly fictional

Offline Ollie3440

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
Evening all!

Thanks for all the tips on stock, got a pretty good idea on what to run now. I had a root through the stock I use for Sheaf (waaaaay to much of it!) and have chosen a small collection of items that will now find home on Wenlock. Mostly wagons but I had a random MK1 Suburban in Crimson that will do nicely and thanks to Dr Al it now has two bogies!! (One had been misplaced somehow!). Another addition is a Dapol B-set which was purchased from eBay at a reasonable price. These have started to be dismantled so they can be sprayed into Crimson. No locos as of yet, but there's plenty of time before they will be needed!

Cheers,

Ollie

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 06:09:01 PM »
Coming along very nicely, Ollie. However, isn't that 'Iron Ore' hopper way astray? 8-)

If your B Set is (like mine) an old one it may need replacement bogies as the original bogies had a tendency to derail. (John of Claverdon warned me and all 3 of my B Sets need new bogies which he is kindly doing for me as he had the same problem with his B Set, too.)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 06:40:13 PM »
Thanks for the update Ollie.
Nice collection of stock starting to develop there.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Ollie3440

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2015, 10:45:51 AM »
Morning all,

Not much happening with Wenlock at the current time due to a layout I'm building for someone else! However there is a bit of stock related news.

I have now resprayed the B-Set into Crimson, these are now awaiting transfers.

Also Wenlock now has it's first resident loco. A lovely birthday gift from my mum has seen a Dapol Pannier arrive :D

In other news I also plan to enter Wenlock in next years NGS AMMC seen as it meets the size restrictions.

Cheers,

Ollie

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »
Cool!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »
Very nice work.

Offline Ollie3440

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2015, 03:57:54 PM »
Afternoon all,

Once again not a huge amount to report, but there are a few new additions. A Dapol Prairie has found its way on to the layout along with a Hawksworth Brake Third. So thats both locos I wanted for the layout and the carriage will run with my MK1 Suburban in a mixed rake.

So the stock box is starting to look the part, don't really need much else now. Well maybe a couple of milk tankers.

Cheers,

Ollie

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 09:00:54 PM »
What a great little layout! :thumbsup:. Can't wait for more :photospleasesign:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 02:41:39 PM »
wonder where that prairie originally came from? a railway in the moors by any chance? :P

our prairie has had to be withdrawn from service due to bad quartering, need a decent chassis on it! :(
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline Ollie3440

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2016, 09:41:03 PM »
Afternoon All!

Long time no update!

Wenlock has been on the back burner for a while whilst I finished off a layout for someone, with that completed and delivered in Jan I have got back to work on Wenlock. Now it's debut is in just 4 weeks at the Church Stretton show which is on April 2nd ( http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/11484-Event ) so there was plenty to do. Now the layout won't be 100% complete at the show as I haven't even thought about the lighting rig! But scenic wise it should be pretty much there. Work restarted on the layout a couple of weeks back so I thought I should keep you all updated on progress.

Legs! Now during construction I have been resting the layout on a set of trestles I had spare from a previous project. Yes they do the job but they are very low and too wide, some new ones were in order.

I like to think that the layout will be fairly self contained so I decided to go for fold-away legs. The Scenic board is 3ft6in long and this worked out to be a nice working/viewing height so i've knocked up a very simple pair of legs that fold up and interlock with each other.

I also attached a set to one end of the fiddle yard. Now this does mean when folded up the leg is longer than the board, but I eventually plan to build a container to transport the layout in and the overhand will make a handy shelf for the stock box! Haha. So step one in getting the layout show ready was complete.

I have also now completed the electrics on the layout. A few PL13s were the last job along with the wiring and installation of the walkabout controller. With the layout all working a, test session was in order!!

Talking of testing, I have also been working on fitting NEM pockets to the stock. The Farish wagons I've done many times before but I had a couple of new items to convert including the B-Set and the Prairie. Both were fairly easy conversions and they can be seen below.

With the front Fascia given a coat of Black (Matt for now, will eventually be given a nice Satin coat) it was time to crack on with finishing the scenics. A couple of orders arrived last week the first of which contained 20 trees from The Model Tree Shop, I must say I am very impressed with the products (Much better than the bog brush trees used on Sheaf!). I just had to place them in a rough position to get a feel of what it'll look like, complete with stock and buildings of course!

The other delivery contained a couple of Oxford cars, Lineside and station fencing along with some scatter for the yard. Today saw some hedges added, 15 trees planted and the lineside fencing at the rear of the yard added. I may get some more trees to give it a denser look, but undecided as of yet. I've also stuck down the loco depot base. It's starting to look like a layout now :D

So that's the past 6 months which actually has taken place over the last 4 weeks! The next 4 weeks will no doubt fly by and I'm really looking forward to the start of what I hope will be a decent run of shows for Wenlock. Currently the only other show is TINGs 2017 but here's hoping for some local shows take interest on the 2nd April.

Cheers,

Ollie

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »
Many thanks, Ollie, for the long overdue update which was well worth waiting for. The photos. really show the excellence of your scenic work. The last three photos. show how realistic the layout now looks.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything