!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Earlstone Vale - 1930's ish GWR in 5ft x 2ft 6in DCC  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Earlstone Vale - 1930's ish GWR in 5ft x 2ft 6in DCC
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:09 AM »
" . . . only two wires from the controller to the track", you don't know how happy you've made me: NO soldering!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:59 AM »
Which 'frog juicer' have you got, please? Did you also buy it from DCC Supplies?

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 07:55:24 AM »
" . . . only two wires from the controller to the track", you don't know how happy you've made me: NO soldering!
there will be a little bit, you'll have to solder wires from the frogs to the frog juicer and there may be one or two dead sections that will need a feed, but you can pinch that from another track like I did. My layout is quite small so it's all easy to do, a bigger layout is going to need more separate feeds. That said Elvinley is an 8ft x 4ft layout and can be run on DCC with just 2 wires.....
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 08:08:16 AM »
Which 'frog juicer' have you got, please? Did you also buy it from DCC Supplies?
I've got the Tam valley Hex frog juicer and I bought it from www.coastaldcc.co.uk for 56.50. I don't think dcc supplies stock them, well I couldn't find it on their site anyway.... Coastaldcc are actually very good and have used them a few times now and will do again.
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »
Digitrains also stock Hex frog juicers, seems them and Coastal are the only two in the UK, I have asked DCC Supplies in the past whether they were going to carry them but never received an answer?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »
there will be a little bit, you'll have to solder wires from the frogs to the frog juicer and there may be one or two dead sections that will need a feed, but you can pinch that from another track like I did. My layout is quite small so it's all easy to do, a bigger layout is going to need more separate feeds. That said Elvinley is an 8ft x 4ft layout and can be run on DCC with just 2 wires.....

Many thanks for the details. I think I can find someone to solder wires from the frogs to the frog juicer. Taking power for any dead sections from another track is another excellent idea. I don't think I will need any dead sections. The DCC programming track will, probably, be completely separate. Cant Cove is of similar size as it has to fit under one half of my double bed!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 08:31:31 AM »
I've got the Tam valley Hex frog juicer and I bought it from www.coastaldcc.co.uk for 56.50. I don't think dcc supplies stock them, well I couldn't find it on their site anyway.... Coastaldcc are actually very good and have used them a few times now and will do again.

So, I will order, next month, a Tam valley Hex frog juicer from Coastal DCC, then. (I won't have time for tracklaying for several months. If I can buy, cut and lay the insulation board sections on my baseboard before Christmas I'll be happy.)

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
Signals look great, Mike!  Any suggestions on where to buy as I could use a couple for my layout.

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »
The signals are Tomix and they can be bought in the UK, Osbourne's sell them but they are a bit expensive.... :o

I got mine from an EBay seller in Japan called 'plazzajapan' . It does take a few weeks for delivery, but as you can see they're well worth the wait !

Mike

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 08:06:30 PM »
Found them on Plazajapan, those prices look a lot easier to swallow than Osbourne's!

It looks like you've removed the base from your signal to get it on the platform, or is that an illusion?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 08:08:55 PM »
PlazaJapan is very good; I bought some forklift trucks and figures from them.

Offline 4x2

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 08:26:34 PM »
Found them on Plazajapan, those prices look a lot easier to swallow than Osbourne's!

It looks like you've removed the base from your signal to get it on the platform, or is that an illusion?
You can't remove the base, it won't work otherwise !

What I did do is cut a hole in the platform big enough to fit the signal arm through, then fed the signal through the hole and glued it to the underside of the platform. The hole on the platform surface was covered by the extra sticky sheet that Metcalfe provide with the platform kit, if you look carefully you can see the sticker edges... I will weather it at some point and they should hopefully be barely visible.

Mike

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 08:30:48 PM »
Could you supply a link to signals at Plazajapan if possible ?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 08:34:26 PM »

You can't remove the base, it won't work otherwise !

What I did do is cut a hole in the platform big enough to fit the signal arm through, then fed the signal through the hole and glued it to the underside of the platform. The hole on the platform surface was covered by the extra sticky sheet that Metcalfe provide with the platform kit, if you look carefully you can see the sticker edges... I will weather it at some point and they should hopefully be barely visible.

Ah, that's useful to know.  Not sure if I'll be able to integrate those signals into my layout in that case.  Might have to be content with some non-operational ones.

Thanks for the info.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here