!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N Gauge review No 3 of Dapol of BR Standard 9F class locomotives  (Read 10104 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: N Gauge review No 3 of Dapol of BR Standard 9F class locomotives
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 01:20:06 AM »
Interesting thread... I've been looking at these "new" 9Fs for some time, but beginning to think I might just stick with my two Minitrix....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Parky

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 07:37:06 AM »
Ah yes the perfect accompaniment to my rake of 11 Ian Stoate ICI Hoppers or so I thought.
We have now moved on an era and the rake is hauled by a Green Type 4 that I bought earlier this year. That was cheaper than buying a pair of Type 2's.
I remember the 9f's and Type 2's grinding past our house in Bidston though not the Type 4, but a search on the t'internet proved that they did provide traction.

As to the 9f, that is parked up in the loco yard with a coal delivery for the hopper !
No more tender drive for me. I can live with broken wires to the tender if they are only additional pickups.

Bring on the Duchess to go with the Standard 5

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 09:35:13 AM »
Ah yes the perfect accompaniment to my rake of 11 Ian Stoate ICI Hoppers or so I thought.
We have now moved on an era and the rake is hauled by a Green Type 4 that I bought earlier this year. That was cheaper than buying a pair of Type 2's.
I remember the 9f's and Type 2's grinding past our house in Bidston though not the Type 4, but a search on the t'internet proved that they did provide traction.

As to the 9f, that is parked up in the loco yard with a coal delivery for the hopper !
No more tender drive for me. I can live with broken wires to the tender if they are only additional pickups.

Bring on the Duchess to go with the Standard 5

My 9Fs as I have said are pretty poor and certainly not deserving of their "platinum" branding. I am not a fan of their drive mechanism, much preferring either a "proper" loco drive or self contained tender-drive unit, not a clunky cardan shaft arrangement.

In point of fact, there is in my opinion nothing much wrong with a decently designed "pure" tender drive. I don't hear too many complaints about the Farish B1 or J39. Much as I admire the new state of the art coreless motor loco drive (The Ivatt is a little stunner!) and accept that this will largely be the future direction Farish take, the tender driven models will comfortably out pull them.

For me, bring on the A2 in that respect!

Would Farish consider a coreless motor loco drive 9F do you think? I personally believe it would sell exceptionally well, notwithstanding the thousands of Dapol 9Fs out there. What we want is a nicely detailed well finished smooth running model, with quiet mechanism and excellent slow running characteristics, capable of hauling a decent train (say 45 wagons) comfortably, and based on my experience of the initial batch of Dapol models it is pretty, but performance wise just doesn't cut it.

Regards

Roy

Offline Toneeze

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »
Hello Arthur,My 9Fs are the only loco`s to foul E-391/2 points.My Beyer Garrett has no problem negotiating these points.Dapol has sent me the replacements for the pony wheels with springs.Also my layout " Bettws Road" ( will be at TINGS ) has all its points running out to a straight piece of track. The pony wheels are really loose,and when running slowly you can actually see them de-rail.I have a Evening Star from the 1st batch,and I`ve just noticed that the cab doors are both missing on this model,Is your model the same?.  :thankyousign:Toneeze

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Hello Arthur,My 9Fs are the only loco`s to foul E-391/2 points

I use the same points and have no issues at all with my 2 x 9F's. However, one of them stalled on a straight going forward and when I reversed it the motion on one side fell apart :o :doh:

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »
Chuffin' steamers! How dare they! At least when you pick up N scale diseasels you don't have the extra bits hanging off the sides.  ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »
Chuffin' steamers! How dare they! At least when you pick up N scale diseasels you don't have the extra bits hanging off the sides.  ;)

Not what we've heard, knowing your handling getting 'em out the boxes, George :no: :laugh:

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 11:15:29 AM »
Ha ...ha.  :thankyousign:

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »
Hi Arthur,

Thank you for publishing your review which I found very interesting.  Personally I own Evening Star (first release ND-090) and a weathered one from batch 2 (ND-090M).  Both are lovely models although Evening Star is not the most robust or finely finished of the two.  The weathered 9F is much better, runs well and the weathering is exquisite.

You seem to say in your review that the current releases are lighter and have more plastic.  What exactly does this mean?  Is the chassis made from plastic?

Many thanks

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline Zunnan

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17178
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »
The chassis has always been of plastic in the 9F, and when not properly cleaned of all flash at the assembly stage it can bend and distort quite noticably, which affects the already poor haulage even further. It also puts a little extra pressure on the flimsy valve gear and in extreme cases can shear crankpins and/or cause the valve gear to fall apart. I'll grant that they do look good, but as a functional model? I got through 5 of these when first released due to their awful trackholding meaning they spent more time on their side than on the rails (through large radius pointwork and curves over 24" radius, although they did make it through the 12" curves at the end of that layout, but were all equally bad when tested on other layouts if they were still capable of turning a wheel), or simply disintegrating themselves after running 12" on the test track. In the end I wound up taking a refund and going back to the Minitrix 9F and point blank refuse to buy any further Dapol 9Fs no matter how allegedly 'improved' they are. They're still underweight and top heavy because of that lightweight plastic chassis and weight set high up in the boiler. What the 9F needs is a tungsten chassis and cast metal running plate to bring the centre of gravity down, provide a less flexible wheelbase and increase the overall weight. If only Farish had kept developing their own...

If you want a shed queen that looks nice in photos and don't have the room for longer freight trains and so don't need the haulage, the Dapol 9F is great. ;) If however you want heavy haulage for scale length trains, stick to the Minitrix 9F or use a Farish 8F (Stanier or WD); or anything from Union Mills...although technically the smaller UM locos should be double headed on large trains to look right, that 7F though!
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »
I had no idea the 9F had a plastic chassis.  Why would anyone build the chassis from plastic especially in N Gauge?  I am no engineer but this does not sound like the best approach.

It would be great to have a Farish 9F but probably not likely now.  :(

Paddy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:23:51 PM by Paddy »
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline Toneeze

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »
The 9F does look great as does the 2-8-0 GWR, but i`m afraid there made by Dapol.I have just bought a fairburn tank ( GF ) what a lovely looking and running loco,This loco runs through my point work , no problem, and so does the 2 A1s .Due to the on going problems with Dapol,I shall no longer be buying the steam loco`s.Nearly 600 of Dapol Loco`s ( 5x 9Fs+ 1x 2-8-0 ) all have running issues.  Toneeze.I must point out that ,I have at least 80 Farish steam loco`s and not 1 of them gives me any grief.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
I had no idea the 9F had a plastic chassis.  Why would anyone build the chassis from plastic especially in N Gauge?  I am no engineer but this does not sound like the best approach.

It would be great to have a Farish 9F but probably not likely now.  :(

Paddy

Hi Paddy

I would venture to suggest for reasons of cheapness and simplicity.

The same reason arguably why only the outer and middle wheels have rods connected to them by crankpins, the centre flangeless driving wheel has no metal tyre, and on the initial batch pickups were only present on the rearmost four loco driving wheels (in spite of "boasts" of 16 wheel pickup  - hard to see how this could ever happen with a plastic centre driver!).

Bachmann do a 9F in 00, planned one in N too. It was only "pulled" because the Dapol one appeared, and who knows how far development got. I hope they do decide to do one, there can be little doubt that if they did it would with the most recent coreless motor mechanism be a far superior product and effectively "kill" the Dapol version at a stroke sales wise.

Regards

Roy

Offline geminijkr

• N Gauge Society Number: 9914
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »
Hi, I am not a particular fan of Dapol locos, having roughly a 50% failure rate, but I have three 9Fs, two from the earlier batches, including the weathered one, and one of the first from the recent issue. I did have one of the original batch but could never get Dapol to send the modification for the pony truck to Canada and sold it to a dealer with full disclosure. I also have Evening Star.The remainder generally work well and pull 35 trucks around my layout which has some fairly steep gradients and while I agree they are a bit noisy I only have occasional derailments with the weathered one in some sidings with complicated point work. I have the new one permanently scheduled for a fast fish train with 26 vans, a mixture of Dapol, Farish and kit built Foxhunter which has fun faultlessly since it was acquired when the new batch came out. The weathered one runs with 26 loaded coal wagons, half Dapol 20 tonners, and the other on 35 16t empty mineral wagons including a gradient of at least 1:100. So of all the Dapol steamers, I have least complaints about the 9Fs. The Farish WD 2-8-0s, of which I also have three, pull similar loads once I adjusted the spring under the pony truck.
Keith

Offline Parky

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »
If someone was to produce a functional 9f even if it was not so finely detailed as the recent offering then I would be in the market for a number of them.

I also wanted a couple of A4's but after my experiences of the 9f, no way jose  :uneasy:

Maybe I need to look out for dead Dapol 9f's to create a shed scene reminiscent of Mollington Street    ::)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal