!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
70 (39.1%)
No I wouldn't
78 (43.6%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 176

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 376725 times)

Offline Kaian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26669
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #1755 on: July 29, 2017, 07:24:15 AM »
Amazing, can't wait. Have they done any testing over points at that speed?
Craig

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1756 on: July 29, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »
It just goes to show if you put the effort into the CADs the design and development its possible to produce a fantastic model at an exeptionaly good price ,if you can do it why cant the other manufacturers ,an 11 coach twin powered train for just the price of two locos from the other manufacturers

I think you may have your figures slightly wrong there, Bob.
The Pendo is certainly a bargain at the price we're paying, though.

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #1757 on: July 29, 2017, 10:55:28 AM »
:claphappy:  :thankyousign: Ben and Mike and of course Rapido trains you have kept us up to date all allong with pictures right through from the CAD drawings to the allmost completed models and of all the design problems with the couplings etc and what  amazeing models they are, I just cant wait to see mine snakeing round my layout.
Its going to be well worth the wait though what a model. It just goes to show if you put the effort into the CADs the design and development its possible to produce a fantastic model at an exeptionaly good price ,if you can do it why cant the other manufacturers ,an 11 coach twin powered train for just the price of two locos from the other manufacturers , judging by that video its fast smooth and capable of going flat out round really sharp bends without uncoupling or de railing.
Bob Tidbury

Hi Bob

I wholeheartedly agree with what you say regarding the Pendo, it promises to truly lift the bar and be a model of the utmost quality. It reflects on the hard work and commitment put in to it by Mike, Ben and Rapido and fully vindicates those who had the courage and vision to back the crowdfunding project.

Seeing the quality of this and the 92 in particular, it saddens me even more now that my fellow transition modellers did not seem to have the same vision and confidence to get the 21/29 proposal over the line. We must just be a much more reserved lot not to embrace crowd funding because for sure there are plenty of us, but I digress..

Where I think you are perhaps a bit misguided is to compare the price you are paying for your Pendo to commercially manufactured products. You are benefitting from a price that reflects there is (aside from Rapido I would expect) no profit margin built into the model at all, just a need to cover costs fully and (presumably) retain a small reserve to support future models. If you want to see where your Pendo might be price wise were it a retail offer, think Farish Blue Pullman (399 in train pack) and add 150-200 on for the other five coaches, so probably loosely somewhere between 500 and 600 retail. At that kind of price I very much doubt manufacturers could justify the commercial risk, so even more reason to be thankful to Ben and Mike for having the vision.

Regards

Roy

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #1758 on: July 29, 2017, 12:15:49 PM »
Amazing, can't wait. Have they done any testing over points at that speed?

Hi Kaian,

Yes, they've done plenty of testing over points. 

This test was purely about gradients because we'd had an issue with gradient transitions - during our tests we noticed that, occasionally, as the lead coach started to rise it was causing the bogie on the coach immediately behind to lift off the rails.  This was to show that's been addressed and solved.

In terms of price, what we may now be realising is that the original Kickstarter price (which Rapido honoured, even though the campaign failed) was an absolute steal.

Just to remind everyone, for a 9-car train the original price was 255.  This is what the people who showed faith early on and pledged for the Kickstarter campaign were offered.  After the Kickstarter deadline passed, but we proceeded under Plan B, the price went up to 300.  If any future models are produced the price for a 9-car train is likely to be around 400-450.

This is the same for the TEA tankers - original price 26, later price 30 and will be the same for the Class 92s and Class 321s which will be increasing in price shortly.  The reason for this is simple - crowdfunding can only work if people step up quickly and don't dawdle or wait for others to do the leg work.

Our pricing is all about rewarding early adopters and not producing any surpluses that then get discounted to shift.

It is also worth pointing out that the Revolution prices are, in effect, a little less than what a conventional manufacturer would charge as a trade price.  For RRP it could realistically be almost doubled, though admittedly most models sell for less than RRP.

Having said that, during the development of this model there have been some order cancellations (for various reasons - changes of scale, death, change of financial circumstance) so we may have a very small number of surplus models.  If you are interested please keep an eye on our website for details, or register for updates.

And of course we do not know how many models Rapido have manufactured to satisfy the international market; under the terms of Plan B Revolution is only handling EU sales.

Cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:20:45 PM by Ben A »

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #1759 on: August 25, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
Hello all,

We have just had word from Rapido that production on these models has been delayed because of problems with dust from a ceramic plant near their factory.

This was causing problems with painting and printing and some bodyshells were failing the QC checks.

They have now moved, and production is underway again, but it does mean that the Pendolinos won't be completed as originally scheduled for the end of this month.

Apologies to all - naturally we are as disappointed as anyone.  But as ever we would prefer them to be open with us and get the models right than rush to deliver a model that is anything less than their best work.

There is more information on the News pages of the Revolution website here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/news/

We are on stand 16 at TINGS this year and will be happy to answer any questions about this, or any of our other projects.

Cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:14:36 PM by Ben A »

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #1760 on: August 26, 2017, 01:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the update Ben. It's good to see quality as a priority. What amazes me is they can move the factory in such a short time.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #1761 on: September 10, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »

Hello all,

A huge thank-you to the team on Kings Park for running our new Pendolino model alongside their fabulous scratchbuilt APT-P.  This photo was taken by Only Me and is the best one I have seen so far!

Two complete 9-car sets have been airfreighted in for the show; the remainder of the production run will be shipped once the entire batch is completed.

Thanks again to all who supported this model and made it happen.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #1762 on: September 10, 2017, 01:33:57 AM »
Wow. Great photo, Paul. I probably have to wait 10 years before I can assemble a layout for my Pendos, but I can't wait...

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #1763 on: September 10, 2017, 11:44:19 AM »
While well out of period for my own modelling interests, I saw the Pendolino (and the class B tankers) yesterday and I am mightily impressed with what Revolution have achieved to date.

Well done guys!  :claphappy:

I also got to have a bit of a chat with Ben A - many thanks for taking the time to talk.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1764 on: September 10, 2017, 08:08:52 PM »
Definately not my era but my family ordered and paid in full when it was the original kickstarter and WOW what a model it is the full eleven coach train just as we wiil recieve it looked amazeing  and ran so smooth and quiet and the table lights lit .I have allready made provision in the fiddle yard for mine .
It might look well out of place on my mainly G W R steam early diesel layout but hey I am a rule one man after all.Its an I had to have one set.
Full credit to Mike and Ben who have kept us up to date with all the problems and developement  throughout .and despite the long wait and varios delivery dates mentioned over the past IT will be worth the wait I can assure those that havnt seen it in the flesh so to speak . I particularly like the fact that each coach is marked underneath with the correct position and direction in the rake ,for idiots like me thats a really big bonus.
Well done to every one involved in all aspects from CAD drawings to development and testing. including of course Jason.and his Rapido team.and factory  Cant wait to see mine running on my layout.
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:30:06 PM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #1765 on: September 10, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
Won't be too long now, as once I'm in receipt of my Pendolino there'll be a miniature line-up of three generations of Washwood Heath-built multiple units (plus class 101 and 156)
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline Cazadoom

• N Gauge Society Number: 21448
    • Awards
« Reply #1766 on: September 10, 2017, 09:50:17 PM »
Great to see the Production samples of the Pendo,

Even better to see them running around Kings Park!

A video taken from the Fiddle yard of Kings park including the APT ...  @red_death grin says it all!!

and also one on Apa Park Behind a class 57

I now can't wait for them to arrive!

Cheers

Callum

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #1767 on: September 10, 2017, 10:48:01 PM »
Thanks Callum!

It was great to have the chance to run a Pendolino on such a great setting.  Kings Park has long been one of my favourite layouts and the scenery is ready made for a Pendolino!

Also the Pendolino is one of two production sets that we have - the one that ran on Kings Park was straight out of the box, no testing, no running in so I was delighted it ran so well!

Cheers, Mike

Offline nobby

• N Gauge Society Number: 21612
    • Awards
« Reply #1768 on: October 15, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »
hello Ben ,mike

might be a silly question , and please forgive me for asking but i picked up a copy of BRM and was flicking through and found your article interesting and was looking at the photos , its was the first good one that i have seen of the front end of the pendolino and it looks to be a cracking model and look forward to receiving my sets in the near future , but i did notice that the headlight clusters had a yellow background in the photo and not black as per the real train ,if that one in the photo is the production model you had shipped over for tings ,  its not a deal breaker by any means but can they be removed/ popped out  and painted behind if necessary , again might be a silly question.just asking

neil

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #1769 on: October 15, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »

Hi Neil,

The light clusters have been blackened for the production models; we felt the same as you when we saw the final samples.

Cheers

Ben A.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal