New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
62 (36.3%)
No I wouldn't
78 (45.6%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 289344 times)

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #2250 on: April 04, 2018, 06:05:10 PM »
Sorry no we can't confirm that we receive every email sent to us. If you have updated your delivery address on our website then that is where your order will be sent to.

We're getting quite a few of the same questions by email so we've put together some FAQs specific to the Pendolino: https://wp.me/p5BA2j-2DA

We've also got more general FAQs here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/faqs/

Cheers, Mike

Mike very helpful, and I am sure you wont mind me echoing the following warning.

CHECK YOUR DCC SYSTEM DOES NOT PUT OUT A TRACK VOLTAGE OF MORE THAN 15 VOLTS OR IT WILL FRY THE DCC CHIPS

For instance my Lenz systems by default operate at 16 volts, changing to 15 volts is easy to do but you must remember to do it before powering a Pendalino.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #2251 on: April 04, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
How well does the mechanism on these perform? As they're the first UK outline N Gauge models Rapido have produced it would be interesting to know as the class 92 should be similar.

Steven B.

Actually very well. I think the balance is good - a decent top speed (over scale speed, so headroom for control) but will creep well too, presumably helped by the coreless motor. The worm pitch is quite coarse compared to a Farish or Dapol worm, but it all seems to work and mesh up nicely. This strikes me as well tested.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #2252 on: April 04, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »
Sorry no we can't confirm that we receive every email sent to us. If you have updated your delivery address on our website then that is where your order will be sent to.

We're getting quite a few of the same questions by email so we've put together some FAQs specific to the Pendolino: https://wp.me/p5BA2j-2DA

We've also got more general FAQs here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/faqs/

Cheers, Mike

Mike very helpful, and I am sure you wont mind me echoing the following warning.

CHECK YOUR DCC SYSTEM DOES NOT PUT OUT A TRACK VOLTAGE OF MORE THAN 15 VOLTS OR IT WILL FRY THE DCC CHIPS

For instance my Lenz systems by default operate at 16 volts, changing to 15 volts is easy to do but you must remember to do it before powering a Pendalino.

Hi

Thatís a little worrying and is not NMRA compliant.

https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/s-9.1_electrical_standards_2006.pdf

What happens if you do a reset on your Lenz command station and forget to reduce the voltage back down?

Cheers

Paul

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2253 on: April 04, 2018, 06:55:29 PM »
You hope there is enough impedance in the feed wires  :D

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2254 on: April 04, 2018, 08:22:52 PM »
Mmm, iíd be wary of speaking for Ben and Mike on that. Iíd certainly hope that you wonít instantly annihilate the chips if you put them on a track outputting 16v. Even if itís wise to reduce it.

And people... itís Pendolino. Not Pendalino. Not Pendilino!

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #2255 on: April 04, 2018, 08:29:06 PM »
@PaulCheffus  refer to page 3 of your NMRA standards pdf Paul, it clearly shows N max output under 15v in the diagrams 14v at the track is the usual expected N gauge voltage and most control stations can be set to N gauge or a specific voltage, indeed most dcc users make this a priority when configuring their kit... i cant talk for the EZ as it was originally designed for OO and may or may not come with a 19v transformer in which case if it were me i would change the psu for a 15v one on any n gauge use with a Bachmann DCC EZ controller.  I havent seen their new one yet (Bachmanns) so dont know if its specific for N or not so would check.

As said above, Lenz, the Z21 (black and white editions) and digitrax control stations as well as others have the ability to set to specific voltages some as said above presume when you buy them they will be used on OO....

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:38:04 PM by Only Me »

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2256 on: April 04, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »
Mmm, iíd be wary of speaking for Ben and Mike on that. Iíd certainly hope that you wonít instantly annihilate the chips if you put them on a track outputting 16v. Even if itís wise to reduce it.

And people... itís Pendolino. Not Pendalino. Not Pendilino!

Mike clicked Thank you.

Its in the FAQ and its very important, and It says its marked on the instructions, but you know how many of us don't read instructions  :)

NB I have come across this 15 volt limit in chip sets before, American N outline sound chips as I recall. (and as I type i see OnlyMe's post)

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #2257 on: April 04, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »
I didnít disagree, I said it was good practice for sure, but Iíd really hope there was a little more Ďcontingencyí in the chips. Paulís graph appears to show a decoder maximum of 24v...?

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #2258 on: April 04, 2018, 08:41:01 PM »
I didnít disagree, I said it was good practice for sure, but Iíd really hope there was a little more Ďcontingencyí in the chips. Paulís graph appears to show a decoder maximum of 24v...?

Its the signal voltage you worry about.. as there is only One ac voltage on the track so try putting 24vac into an N decoder and smell the smoke lol
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:44:30 PM by Only Me »

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2259 on: April 04, 2018, 08:49:31 PM »

That's the title of the graph  :goggleeyes:

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2260 on: April 04, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »
Remember, electronics works on smoke,  when the smoke escapes the electronics stop working.  :doh:

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #2261 on: April 04, 2018, 08:54:22 PM »
@PaulCheffus  refer to page 3 of your NMRA standards pdf Paul, it clearly shows N max output under 15v in the diagrams 14v at the track is the usual expected N gauge voltage and most control stations can be set to N gauge or a specific voltage, indeed most dcc users make this a priority when configuring their kit... i cant talk for the EZ as it was originally designed for OO and may or may not come with a 19v transformer in which case if it were me i would change the psu for a 15v one on any n gauge use with a Bachmann DCC EZ controller.  I havent seen their new one yet (Bachmanns) so dont know if its specific for N or not so would check.

As said above, Lenz, the Z21 (black and white editions) and digitrax control stations as well as others have the ability to set to specific voltages some as said above presume when you buy them they will be used on OO....

Hi

From the spec I linked to
Digital Decoders intended for "N" and smaller scales shall be designed to withstand a DC voltage of at least 24 volts as measured at the track.

Cheers

Paul

Online njee20

• Awards
« Reply #2262 on: April 04, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
Thatís still how I read that too. Iz confused :dunce:

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2263 on: April 04, 2018, 09:15:31 PM »
The NMRA spec contains the following.

The actual DC voltage values for each scale is not listed in the standard.  Only the minimum is shown and it is the 12VDC standard we all know and love that has existed longer than I care to know.   

N scale is typically 2V lower or 10VDC.   Why?  Given the smaller size and mass, between the motor and lights, the whole engine gets hot at 12V. 

However the RMS value of NMRA digital signal, measured at the track, shall not exceed by more than 2 volts the voltage specified in standard S-9 for the applicable scale.  The additional voltage is to compensate for voltage drop in the Digital Decoder, to ensure that the maximum voltage as specified in the NMRA Electrical Standard (S-9) is available at the motor brushes.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2264 on: April 04, 2018, 09:17:59 PM »
Frankly this makes sense as most N motors are aimed at 12 volt working.  There is also a comment in the Revolution FAQ about not using a DC controller giving more than 15 volt DC for the non DCC models.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:19:09 PM by Snowwolflair »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything