!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
68 (38.4%)
No I wouldn't
78 (44.1%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 363036 times)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2014, 12:44:33 AM »

Hello there,

Running problems on tight radius track are usually a problem for long fixed wheelbase vehicles (eg 2-10-0 steam locos) or for vehicles where the bogie swing is impeded - for example by the lower edge of the bodyside or streamlining valances.

For the Pendolino, the bogies are of a fairly standard wheelbase and their movement is not impeded.

It's feasible that there could be an issue with two Pendolinos meeting on a really right curve at correct scale 6' spacing, but Setrack spacing is intentionally widened to avoid this.  And if you're still worried then just run one at a time!

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2014, 07:26:10 AM »
I work in Information services and a number of my smaller projects are turning grey area IT into enterprise solutions.

these are typically apps that one person has come up with but need to be hardened and made supportable, the question we most commonly ask is the what happens if Dave is hit by a bus.....as all knowledge of the product is held in one brain :) and not properly documented

In this project I think that is less of an issue as you have 3 people putting it together I would encourage them to have a shared knowledge and be as transparent as possible (ie a good communication plan :)) so if one is indisposed everything doesn't fail
Totally agree (and have had the same experiences as you regarding projects in IT and also supporting legacy software but that is another long story  :()
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2014, 08:08:37 AM »
For the Pendolino, the bogies are of a fairly standard wheelbase and their movement is not impeded.

Hurrah!!    :thumbsup:

In my mind the project has been completed and two of them are charging past each-other on Deansmoor!

Cheers  Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2014, 01:57:18 PM »

Hello all,

Just a quick update to say progress is being made and Mike and I are planning to have more concrete plans and leaflets available soon.

We've also been updating e thread on RM web - I find the interface there easier to use, especially with an iPad, when it comes to uploading photos etc.

However though there is more content there, all relevant information, timings and any deadlines will be posted here too.

Please also check our website www.ngaugependolino.com where you can register interest without obligation and complete a survey which will give us a more concrete idea of what is important to people.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »
I do like the website  :thumbsup:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »

Thanks Pengi!

Mike did the hard work - I just supplied some graphics and a bit of text.

We'll be looking to add more content as we go along too, though of course still very happy to answer questions and maintain debate here..

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Brooksy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2014, 02:56:32 PM »
Following on from the discussion on RMWeb (sorry not a member on there) have you got a plan to advertise to the international market? I'm not totally sure but I think that there are few modellers around the world that would be interested - the ones that have a TGV/Eurostar/ICE/Bullet just for the fun of it. Maybe you can find people that are active on the NGF/RMweb and their local forum be it France/Holland/Germany/USA/Japan/etc. and they can spread the word. It may only bring in a few people but it might be enough to tip the balance. There may be a problem that is 1:148 scale rather than 1:160 but I find this difference isn't huge - especially considering the UK loading gauge is generally smaller so it shouldn't look oversized sat next to a TGV.

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »
Hi Brooksy

No, not really - I'm not sure that Ben or I would know where best to tell people about the project outside of the UK.  Though I've noted from the web stats that an American forum has become interested in the project and the funding concept!

If you've got any bright ideas we'd be delighte to hear them.

Cheers, Mike

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »

Hello all,

The publicity machine is starting now... posters and leaflets prepared for the "lauch" next weekend.

Dave Jones will have posters and flyers on his stand at the Ricoh Arena/BRM event while we've already had layouts and traders at TINGS ask about helping us.

If anyone here is attending a show in the coming weeks with a layout or as trade and can help, or if anyone wants flyers to give out at clubs, local events etc please let us know.  For anyone overseas I'd be happy to send PDFs of posters of flyers that could be circulated and forwarded...

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »
Starting this weekend I am at a show every weekend for the next 4 weeks so can I collect any flyers from somewhere at TINGS, Ben?

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »

Hello there,

Yes, we have already had offers from traders and exhibitors at TINGS.

So far we know that there'll be flyers at the Electra/N-Train stand, the DEMU stand and the layout Santa Barbara.  I also imagine layouts like Law Junction which would run Pendolinos will also oblige.   And for those attending the BRM/RMWeb show at the Ricoh arena there'll be posters and flyers on the DJM stand and Kinlet Wharf.

If anyone else is exhibiting and can support us please PM me and I will send some flyers.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »

Hello all,

A busy weekend and many thanks to those who either helped to distribute flyers, took one away to think about or gave us some valuable feedback.

For those who couldn't make it, here is an image of both sides of the flyer:

The headline news is that we are still aiming for a complete 9-car set for a pledge of £250.  This set will be prototypically numbered for every car and there will be four different sets available.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

For those who wish to make smaller pledges, we are following the recent Kato system of splitting into SubSets of three.

SubSet 1 is a powered driving car, and two first class coaches including the pantograph car.

SubSet 2 is the dummy driving car with the standard class section of the train including the bar/shop car.  Between them, these two sets include every different type of vehicle, two pantograph cars and can be combined to offer a representative 6-car train for £215; which compares well with the 5-car Brighton Belle at £200.

SubSet 3 is designed to offer three trailer cars at a very competitive price for those who wish to complete their 6 car set with, perhaps, a gift from a family member as a pledge; or offer those who want an 11-car set a cheaper way of acquiring the extra cars they need.  Cheaper still if they can sell the remaining car on ebay!

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »
Good idea offering subsets, might give those without the space for a 9-car train a chance to get one :thumbsup:

Paul
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:21:53 PM by Sprintex »

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »
Ben

Pleased to meet you at TINGS on Saturday.

Good to see how well and quickly you and Mike have developed this. Just need the equivalent of 1000 full set pledges now! I guess you are planning to refresh the contact with the printed magazines each month with a bit of news on development so that every edition from now to January 2015 stands the chance of getting some prominent editorial coverage.

I have a meeting in early November where I will be able to distribute flyers. I will contact you about these nearer the time as I am away a lot over the coming weeks.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
Apologies if I have missed something about the project but I have two questions:

A) Where or who does the £250 project fund go to?

B) What safe guards are in place to insure the money doesn't go walkies?

Please forgive the tone of the question but if I'm giving Big money to something I would like to know this investment is secured.

Apologies if this has been covered already.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal