New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wagons with NEM pocket couplings  (Read 5937 times)

Offline anselm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20354
    • Awards
Wagons with NEM pocket couplings
« on: July 28, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
I've recently installed magnets in the track to use with Dapol's magnetic couplings.  I fitted the couplings to a range of coaches but find that all my wagons have Rapido couplings.  I know that I could buy the conversion kit but wondered whether Dapol, Farish or Peco make any wagons, suitable for the transition era, with NEM pockets?

Thanks

Ian

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Wagons with NEM pocket couplings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:38:27 PM »
Both my Farish guards vans, a GWR Toad and and an LMS both have NEM pockets.  Note, that the Farish NEM pockets seem much tighter than the Dapol version, the Dapol EasiShunt coupling does fit but you have to push it in very firmly, I used a pair of small tapered nose pliers to get the necessary force.

Offline anselm

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:13:14 AM »
Hi Caz,
Thank you for that.  I also have a couple of the Farish Toads but the coupling has a spring (Rapido?).  I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the Dapol magnetic coupling won't fit into that?
Ian

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »
Farish revised their toad a year or so ago. I believe the new version has NEM pockets. It is possible that you have the older version.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »
Hi Caz,
Thank you for that.  I also have a couple of the Farish Toads but the coupling has a spring (Rapido?).  I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the Dapol magnetic coupling won't fit into that?
Ian

The current versions do come with Rapido's fitted but are NEM, you have to look carefully at the pocket, here's my Toad with a Rapido one end and an EasiShunt at the other.

Offline anselm

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:42 AM »
My thanks to both Caz (for the  photo) and Karhedron.  I can now see that two of my Toads are indeed NEM and will convert them.

I have been in touch with Dapol and Farish asking whether one can tell from their websites which wagons are NEM fitted.  The  answer from both was no: Dapol added that their steam era wagons did not but that their more modern era ones did; while Farish said the information was in their 2014 catalogue.  I have also found that Model Trains 2014 also has some information.

My thanks again.

Ian

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »
My thanks to both Caz (for the  photo) and Karhedron.  I can now see that two of my Toads are indeed NEM and will convert them.

I have been in touch with Dapol and Farish asking whether one can tell from their websites which wagons are NEM fitted.  The  answer from both was no: Dapol added that their steam era wagons did not but that their more modern era ones did; while Farish said the information was in their 2014 catalogue.  I have also found that Model Trains 2014 also has some information.

My thanks again.

Ian

All I can say is that it is s shame and slightly worrying that Dapol don't know their own products better then!!

I know for a fact that some later steam era wagons do have NEM pockets: -

- Blue Spot Fish Van
- New versions of the CCT
- Grampus
- Fruit D
- NGS Stove R

Also (I believe - do not personally have them) the very recent versions of the siphon G and H do too.

Regards

Roy

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 09:45:17 PM »
Also (I believe - do not personally have them) the very recent versions of the siphon G and H do too.

Regards

Roy

Indeed they do, I have one of each.  It isn't a great implementation as the pocket sticks out a long way - short-shank couplings are the order of the day - but they do at least have NEM pockets.

Another wagon which has NEM pockets is the Graham Farish TTA; I believe these were introduced in the early 1960s so are suitable for running with BR livery steam locos and early diesels.  I also think the TTA is a very nice model.

As for the NEM conversion kit, I've only converted Peco wagons but it is really simple to use; once you've done a couple it only takes a few minutes.  Generally I'll only do one end of a wagon and use these at the outer ends of a train.  At some point I'll have a go at converting a newer Graham Farish wagon as a NEM-equipped Conflat would be really useful.

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:49:53 PM »
Incidentally, the SR Pillbox brake van by Graham Farish also has NEM pockets and close coupling mechanism as well.

Offline davieb

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
As for the NEM conversion kit, I've only converted Peco wagons but it is really simple to use; once you've done a couple it only takes a few minutes.  Generally I'll only do one end of a wagon and use these at the outer ends of a train.  At some point I'll have a go at converting a newer Graham Farish wagon as a NEM-equipped Conflat would be really useful.

Here are a Couple of pics of one I did this afternoon  :hmmm:

Easy to do  :-\

Just unclip the existing pockets then carefully cut away the two lugs on the chassis that sit each side of the pocket
then glue the NEM pocket in place with your usual glue (I used EMA Plastic Weld) and the jobs done  :hmmm:

dave  :thumbsup:

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »
Nice job, looks so simple I've got no excuse not to try the conversion for myself.

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »

My thanks again.

Ian
There are errors in the 2013/2014 Farish catalogue the Colas 66 and EWS HTA are both shown as NEM equipped when they are not. Yet to receive my Farish 2014/2015 catalogue  so may be the errors have been corrected.

Geoff

Offline McRuss

• N Gauge Society Number: 18877
    • Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »
Hello Dave,

I also did some conversions.
The Peco wagons are the easiest, just remove the old coupler pocket, flatten the
underside of the wagon an glue the new couplerpockets in place.
On the Farish wagons I did it similar to Dave, but I removed some material in
the area where the new pockets would be. After these I smoothed the surface.
Then I glued the pockets in.
Today I made a trial to fit a Dapol knuckle coupler to an older Farish 3 axle locomotive bogie for e.g. Class 37 or 55.
I only opened the opening in the front of the bogie a bit with a file. Then I inserted a small piece of plastic sheet on
the bottom of the old coupler pocket. I also glued a small piece of plastic sheet on the bogie above the coupler.
In these case I used a clear plastic sheet.
See it on the picture.

And here you could see the testing arrangement coupled to my Dapol Class 26

Markus

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 01:19:29 PM »
HI Markus,
Can I ask what glue you used please, and did you use the Dapol gauge to get the height of the couplings just right?
 :thankyousign:

Offline Griffo

• N Gauge Society Number: 18343
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 06:58:23 PM »
HI Markus,
Can I ask what glue you used please, and did you use the Dapol gauge to get the height of the couplings just right?

:thumbsup: What he said! ... and any more pictures? Can't get my head around where you have put the clear plastic sheet. None the less, looks great!

Steve

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything