!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gone Nuclear  (Read 15319 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: Gone Nuclear
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »
The fencing is brilliant nemo, how did you make it?

Ancorton Models barbed wire fence. Pricey, and takes forever to make, but as you say, it looks nice.

http://www.ancortonmodels.com/#/nf8/4578025534

Cheers, NeMo

Thanks Nemo. As you say, it is quite expensive for just under a foot's length....
May have to use it round some of my factories though

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »
Slow down, you are putting us all to shame!
Ah, the joys of summer holidays and an understanding wife!

Will have to leave the layout alone for a few days though. Off to Somerset for a holiday, including (hopefully) getting a ride behind D832 at the West Somerset Railway. Let's hope she's running.

Cheers, NeMo

n85cs

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 07:32:32 AM »
Not sure where to get yacht varnish in Berkhamsted!

vah supplies cross oak stores

diy shop lower kings road

b and q

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »
By way of an update, what I've done last couple of days. Ballasting and weathering of the track 90% done. Still have a few patches around the points.

Wanted gorse bushes, but the store-bought ones are very expensive. So come up with my own way to make them quickly and cheaply. Olive green foliage clumps from Woodland Scenics, sprayed with diluted PVA, then yellow scatter (again from WS) carefully thrown about on top. They don't seem to look that good in the photo, but in the flesh are very convincing. Something about gorse bushes suggests remote, wind-swept localities. I've not added any trees, and with the gorse dominating the landscape, I think the layout has a very "Celtic fringe" feel. Could equally easily be the Highlands as Cornwall.

Weathered the cement pavement around the nuclear flask yard. Still need to do the paving between the rails.

Finally, the station. Taken a while to get the platforms right. The plaster/tissue combo was fine for the infill between the plastic edging, but the surface needed work. Sanded down at a bit, then brushed with a mix of gray paint, water and Attwood Aggregates "Meldon Quarry" scenic dust*. Result was a more nuanced texture than I'd achieved using card or plastic in the past. Did something similar for the road. Still working on the Ratio station kit.

Cheers, NeMo

*Picked up a variety of these Attwood products from Mikron Models in Taunton for £2 a (rather big) bag. Sadly, this rather nice and well-stocked model shop is closing down.

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »
That's looking really good :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »
Excellent scenic modelling.

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 10:36:07 PM »
A bit more progress! Painted the edges of the layout grey-blue to (sort of!) blend in with the background. Tweaked the station area by adding a wall at the end and some overgrowing bushes and a tree to hide the scenic break.

The layout is more or less done except for remaining ballasting, fencing at the front, water in the seashore area and a few minor details to the station like platform seats and people.

Although this is a tiny layout (125 cm long by 30 across) it's quite complicated to operate. I'm tempted to "knock through" one end to add a proper fiddle yard to I can increase the variety of trains. But as it stands now, I think it shows there is mileage to that original "suggested plans for the beginner" thread. A layout this size has really encouraged my to work hard at using open space effectively and create scenery that looks like a particular place, in this case, a bleak stretch of coastline.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2014, 09:37:36 AM »
A superb piece of railway modelling. The latest touches really improve it still further. Just shows what can be done in a restricted space. Your fast progress puts my slow progress with Cant Cove to shame.

With water (try layers of yacht varnish, as used by Martin at Port Perran) in the seashore area and a few minor details to the station like platform seats and people it will definitely be of exhibition / magazine article standard. I would add a "knock through" (a pair of large trees on each side of the track?) one end to add a proper fiddle yard so you can increase the variety of trains for exhibition showing.

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »
Your fast progress puts my slow progress with Cant Cove to shame.
There's a ticking clock! Our first baby arrives in November, at which point I suppose my railway modelling might have to be put on hold for a while!

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »
Your fast progress puts my slow progress with Cant Cove to shame.
There's a ticking clock! Our first baby arrives in November, at which point I suppose my railway modelling might have to be put on hold for a while!

Cheers, NeMo

Ah, I understand. Many congratulations. I can't claim an imminent special delivery from the stork as my excuse; however, apart from July and August, my railway modelling time is severely restricted by what is, de facto, a 7-day a week job.

Offline PostModN66

• N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
Really excellent work NeMo - you have done more than full justice to the original plan.

I am really pleased it has worked out so well

Cheers  Jon   :) :) :)

PS: if you wanted to extend the fiddle yard, instead of knocking through you could add a curve in the existing fiddle yard and create an L shape.  This would preserve the integrity of the original design, and take up no more frontage area at exhibitions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:55:39 AM by PostModN66, Reason: Afterthought »
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline LukeB

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
I know this is a bit of an older thread but I've been rummaging around the Forum looking for inspiration for improvements to my layout. This is a really nice little layout and there's a lot of nice ideas that I'll be pinching, your modelling is excellent.

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 01:21:13 AM »
Excellent layout. I'm really impressed by it. Great modelling skills.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
just like "somewhere in the west country" you have really proved beyond doubt that "less is more" something I struggle with, as for me there is always something more to squeeze in.  :superblayout:

Regards,

Alex

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2015, 09:58:12 AM »
just like "somewhere in the west country" you have really proved beyond doubt that "less is more" something I struggle with, as for me there is always something more to squeeze in.

Thanks. I agree, empty space is something we all struggle with. We feel the need to fill every square inch with "something". Yet the real world, even in industrial areas, has a lot of empty space, from car parks to derelict brownfield sites. Be sure to check out Lofthole, one of my absolute favourite layouts. It uses empty space in an industrial setting extremely effectively, in the foreground, giving the observer a real sense of being somewhere real.

Cheers, NeMo
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:38:53 AM by NeMo, Reason: Not carping on about misspelling any more... »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £265.00
Above Goal: £210.00
Site Currency: GBP
482% 
December Donations

Advertise Here