!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 265778 times)

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #1905 on: January 27, 2020, 10:01:46 PM »
Cracking job on the Hall Gideon - quite a transformation   :beers:

Seconded! Were any West Country allocated "Halls" in this early BR livery?

I'm sure the N7 will be transformed.

6911 Holker Hall shedded at Penzance and Truro was wearing this livery in 1952, I  modified, Repainted and renumbered one of my Farish Halls to match. for a picture go to the Bradford Barton series of albums "more Great Western steam in Cornwall" it is on the dust cover and on page 78. 

Regards,

Alex

Many thanks, Alex. I have that book in my library and had clean forgot to look. I ask because I recently bought an old GF 1405 'Hall' Class No. 7915 "Mere Hall" which was described as being in very good condition and runs well. However, one side cab number is missing and of the nameplates, one is missing the other not complete so it would have to gain mew plates anyway. (The "Modified Halls" were numbered 6959-6999, 7900-7929 so No. 7915 "Mere Hall" would be incorrect for a GF "Hall" anyway, I think.)

For a small Cornish shed, Truro (83F, 84C) had an interesting allocation in steam days. 6911 "Holker Hall" was allocated to 83F from Sept. 1958 to June 59 when it, briefly, went to 83G Penzance before moving on to 84C Banbury in November 1959 (2D later), by which time it must surely have been repainted! However, even more interesting for me was that it was shedded at 83E St Blazey from January 1956 to September 1958, having previously been at Penzance (83G / PZ). Whilst at St Blazey, it might still have been in BR Lined Black Early Crest livery? In 1961 it was photographed in ex-works BR Lined Green Late Crest livery. So, assuming it passes for DCC-fitting at Wickness, I need to see if I can buy new plates for 6911 "Holker Hall" (83E).

If you look carefully Chris, you will see that I filed away the plate frames from the front of the loco, but couldn't modify the smokebox saddle without doing major damage, but I added N brass locos brass Hall cab sides amongst other details whilst "breathing" on another Hall which also gained a Cornish allocated name 7909 Heveningham Hall
I entered them in the N gauge society annual model making competition as you can see below

at the same time Dapol were showing their latest model - guess what a HALL!!! Ah well Never mind, I still use them on occasion.

Regards,

Alex

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1906 on: January 27, 2020, 10:07:17 PM »
Here is a picture of my Holker Hall - I have since upgraded the mechanism to the Chinese version with better driving wheels and fitted an N brass bogie

Regards,

Alex

These engines look terrific, Alex.  And you have done a very tidy job of the safety valve bonnet which always looks a little odd on the older GF locomotives.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1907 on: January 27, 2020, 10:08:21 PM »
Chris in Prague whilst googling 6911 locomotive holker hall  great photos of her appear on the old GCR and fox transfers may help with plates. Ta. Chris

Thanks, Chris. I'm a happy customer of both Fox and Narrow Planet for 'plates. No. 6911, just with painted numbers, lasted late as an LMR loco. at 2D Banbury until April 1965 but in filthy 'livery'.

I had wondered what the point of the N Brass etched cabsides was; now I know! Very nice models, Alex.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:12:43 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1908 on: January 27, 2020, 10:19:29 PM »
Fox only has 4mm scale plates for 6911 "Holker Hall".

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #1909 on: January 27, 2020, 11:25:23 PM »
I got mine from modelmaster through the NGS, so I imagine that Fox would be your first port of call...

Regards,

Alex

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1910 on: January 28, 2020, 08:52:14 PM »
I got mine from modelmaster through the NGS, so I imagine that Fox would be your first port of call...

Regards,

Alex

Thanks, Alex. I've asked Fox if they will produce the 'plates set in 2mm Scale for 6911 "Holker Hall". By the time No. 7915 "Mere Hall" has been DCC-fitted (assuming it passes the fitness test) and detailed, the 'plates might be ready?

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1911 on: January 30, 2020, 10:14:08 AM »
An evening's peace at the workbench has brought some progress... :)

One of the royal 47s gets some decals (painting those handrails made me go a bit cross-eyed!!):

Warship "Zenith" is coming along nicely:

A kit Q1, a Minitrix shunter, a Peco Jube and what will be Warship "Jupiter" all get some gloss varnish in the spray booth before lining/decals. Another LBSC lurks in the foreground - detail painting needs to be finished, then this will get glossed too...:

More soon! :)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #1912 on: January 30, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »
Warships did someone mention warships...... :claphappy:

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1913 on: January 31, 2020, 12:23:30 AM »
Yup, these are yours! 🙂 Is Zenith ok, before the final satin goes on...?

Offline BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #1914 on: January 31, 2020, 01:01:15 PM »
Fantastic as always. I may stop when I have the fleet. But three colour schemes for each number lol.

I'm busy collecting some more. :D

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1915 on: February 03, 2020, 09:52:21 AM »
Some unexpected free time over the weekend turned into productivity at the workbench...

Lining out what will be an LSWR Drummond and an LMS Jube:

I finally stripped, dismantled, re-assembled, primered and filled this white metal kit of a GWR railcar which I've had knocking around for ages:

The N7 which I pictured in bits earlier is now back together, complete with detailing...:

...and what a difference a coat of primer makes!:

Things get ghostly in the spray booth...:

No prizes for guessing where I'm going with this Deltic!:

Finally, some finished ones. Royal 47s William and Henry are now done:

Warships Zenith and Jupiter, plus a little continental shunter given a BR makeover (I really wish I'd taken a pic of the shunter as it was when I got it - the before and after are quite dramatic!!) @BramptonBranch , I hope you like them! :)

Lastly, a kit Q1 that I stripped and repainted:

Much more on the go, so more soon!

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #1916 on: February 03, 2020, 09:56:36 AM »
Lovely bubbly as usual.
 :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #1917 on: February 03, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »

Ohhhh you are gonna have the Deltic fans after you for that lol

It was a vivid shade wasn’t it? Without seeing the noses, are you doing the WIPAC lights?

Also, is the “fanged” 47 in the background having the purple gun pointed at it?

You are tempting me with your 47 work atm, the Royal ones look great  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1918 on: February 03, 2020, 11:12:42 AM »

Ohhhh you are gonna have the Deltic fans after you for that lol

It was a vivid shade wasn’t it? Without seeing the noses, are you doing the WIPAC lights?

Also, is the “fanged” 47 in the background having the purple gun pointed at it?

You are tempting me with your 47 work atm, the Royal ones look great  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Thanks! :) Yes, both the Deltic and the 47 are going to be Porterbrook. It is quite a bright livery, but one I'd never attempted before so I thought I'd give it a go! I'm going to try and do the Wipac lights - I'm not quite sure how yet, though! Most likely plasticard, filler and swearing... ;)

Online Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #1919 on: February 03, 2020, 11:28:33 AM »
Great stuff

Should the 47 become 47 807 (sorry I am a broken record), you have a customer for her right here, the Skyline home for Duffs  :D

Skyline2uk

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal