!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 254057 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #1005 on: November 07, 2016, 09:15:53 AM »
Apparently the first one was delivered in unlined black; all the ones thereafter in green.

Cheers, NeMo

Interesting - wonder if there are any photos out there of that.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1006 on: November 07, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
Change the crest to a late one, weather the heck out of the poor thing and it'll be grand for someone modelling late steam. ;)

Were Britannias ever black in BR days? I not sure they ever were......this is Ozy doing a preserved livery - 70000 has been seen in black in preservation.

And very nicely executed too.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks! :) I think - and I may well be wrong - that Britannia's very first livery was this all black one. But she's appeared in it at some point, even if just in preservation livery! :)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Ozymandias

• N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1007 on: November 07, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »
Here's the finished Britannia:

"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #1008 on: November 07, 2016, 10:19:29 AM »
Definitely looks the part. Very nice.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1009 on: November 07, 2016, 10:28:48 AM »
A very nice looking engine.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #1010 on: November 07, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »

There are a number of piccies on the webbynet showing 70000 in black livery. Can't post any right now cos It's difficult to do on my phone. Do a search for Britannia locomotive in black'.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #1011 on: November 07, 2016, 11:35:18 AM »
Yes they were in black when they carried the lion and wheel.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1012 on: November 07, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »

Brilliant work as ever I might have to send you one of my poorly Minitrix Ivatt 2-6-0 to work your magic on :(

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #1013 on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »
These are interesting, but the top photo is definitely misleading. It is almost certainly lined and a later picture - the loco is dirty (streaks on boiler and general thick film of grime, which commonly covered lining), and more key, it's fitted with (faded) electrification warning flash panels on the deflector bases, and the firebox. These weren't fitted until many years after building, when all locos were green. Looking at the tender there could be evidence of lining too.

The bottom photo is more interesting - looks more conclusive, but I guess there are no details of where and when this was taken?

Cheers,
Alan

Yes they were in black when they carried the lion and wheel.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #1014 on: November 08, 2016, 10:39:48 AM »
Here is an extract from Wikipedia (OK so not all Wikipedia is accurate...) Indicating the first of the class was in unlined black.

"Livery and numbering
The first member of the class was given a livery of plain black without lining; this was changed to the new standard British Railways Brunswick green that was applied to express passenger locomotives after nationalisation, despite the locomotive being classed as mixed traffic. This was lined in orange and black, and the class was given the power classification 7MT.[34] The "Britannias" were numbered under the new British Railways standard numbering system in the 70xxx series.[35] The locomotives were numbered between 70000 and 70054, and featured brass nameplates with an initial black background, followed by red, located on the smoke deflectors.[36] Towards the end of steam plain green livery was substituted, with the touching-up of existing paintwork being preferred to full aesthetic overhaul."

Also a link to preserved 70000 in black ..http://www.urban75.org/blog/br-70000-britannia-loco-thunders-through-brixton/

Bob Austin

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1015 on: November 08, 2016, 10:49:43 AM »
Its definitely a Lion on a Unicycle so 1948 to 56, however it comes from an I-spy or similar publication and I think things like electrification flashes etc have been added at publishers licence. So if there is any lining it will be white and on the tender and cab sides and probably not on the boiler (but could be red bands) but  an enlarged copy is throwing up line aberrations as I think the photo is a scan of a printers grided photo and shows nothing definitive.

But I see a reference has just been posted as I type.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #1016 on: November 08, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »
Its definitely a Lion on a Unicycle so 1948 to 56, however it comes from an I-spy or similar publication and I think things like electrification flashes etc have been added

They look fairly genuine, and the original picture is here - 1961, with warning flashes:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/2356966733/in/album-72157622560703286/

Also, the crest may have been generally 1948 - 1956, but in reality plenty of locos had the early crest long after this - there's plenty of photos of that. (in fact, some lowly locos, had LMS on them for years after nationalisation!).

Cheers,
Alan

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1017 on: November 08, 2016, 11:10:45 AM »
That's helpful

Blow up does not show any lining.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #1018 on: November 08, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »
That's helpful

Blow up does not show any lining.

On the contrary - it clearly shows the horizontal lining around the cabside number.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #1019 on: November 08, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »
Also, same loco, same year, clearly lined, still early crest, but also the lining was clearly mucky and faded by that point.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spallumcheen/8274322385

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal