!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 255330 times)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #930 on: September 03, 2016, 08:13:53 PM »
I love SPROUTS, but they seem to effect my Clack valve  :-[

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #931 on: September 03, 2016, 08:19:24 PM »
I believe Milk of Magnesia (or was it IPA) is good for the old Clack valve.  :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #932 on: September 03, 2016, 08:26:05 PM »
I believe Milk of Magnesia (or was it IPA) is good for the old Clack valve.  :)

I love SPROUTS and GUINESS, the Domestic Overlord on the other hand is not impressed by their effects on me, certainly make my safety valves lift  :angel:

Offline Nig H

• 2mm Association Number: 1100
    • Awards
« Reply #933 on: September 04, 2016, 12:24:34 PM »
Update on the 7F and a recently acquired Grafar pannier (WARNING: the following images show locomotives stripped of their paint and Fully Naked, and may be unsuitable for viewers of a nervous disposition).

I've made the cab for the 7F (plasticard and lots of swearing) - needs the rough edges sanding down, but it's getting there. That poor old Lima tender has had some vicious internal  Dremelling to get it to vaguely fit!

And now the nudity... :-[  I bought a spares/repair Grafar Pannier whose paintwork was so chipped and battered I decided to strip it right back and repaint. Unfortunately the good people of Grafar obviously used arc-welding as their preferred method of paint application and it's taken me about six coats of stripper to get down to this:

It was originally black, so I think I'm going to keep it that way - unless I come across any "interesting" pannier liveries on Google! :)

Hi,

I've just joined this forum and I'm still finding my way round the various topics, so apologies for replying to an old quote.

I couldn't help noticing that the 7F looked remarkably like a Lancashire and Yorkshire large-boilered 0-8-0. Coincidently I am making one of these in 2mm finescale at the moment and I've attached some pics of mine for comparison. The chimney and dome on your 7F look very much like those on the L & Y prototype too. Do you know much more about the origin of your 7F?

Regards,

Nig H

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #934 on: September 04, 2016, 08:44:07 PM »
I could do with adding one of these to my fleet.......interesting

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #935 on: September 06, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »

Hi,

I've just joined this forum and I'm still finding my way round the various topics, so apologies for replying to an old quote.

I couldn't help noticing that the 7F looked remarkably like a Lancashire and Yorkshire large-boilered 0-8-0. Coincidently I am making one of these in 2mm finescale at the moment and I've attached some pics of mine for comparison. The chimney and dome on your 7F look very much like those on the L & Y prototype too. Do you know much more about the origin of your 7F?

Regards,

Nig H

Hi Nig, I'll admit I know very little about the 7F - it was one of the very first things I restored so repainted and numbered it without too much research or bothering to check how prototypical it was. I should research it and make sure it's correct, it probably isn't! ;)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Nig H

• 2mm Association Number: 1100
    • Awards
« Reply #936 on: September 06, 2016, 05:37:25 PM »

[/quote]

Hi Nig, I'll admit I know very little about the 7F - it was one of the very first things I restored so repainted and numbered it without too much research or bothering to check how prototypical it was. I should research it and make sure it's correct, it probably isn't! ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for replying. I think it was a wise move going for the LMS 7F. Scratch-building an eight-wheel tender would have been quite a challenge. Maybe you should ask the person who did the loco body where the tender is.

Regards,

Nig H

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #937 on: September 07, 2016, 10:25:31 AM »
That tender doesn't look too different to an SR/ex LSWR tender used on the N15/King Arthur class 4-6-0 and others; BHE do a white metal kit for it.

I have used a number of them, it's not too difficult to fit a Union Mills tender drive and an extra pair of wheels.

The supplied bogies I found a bit crude, so I use some etched side frames and cast axleboxes & springs.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #938 on: September 13, 2016, 12:21:31 PM »
I am just re-surfacing after a long and particularly horrible tummy bug... :( :sick2:  Loco time has been mostly replaced with lying in bed feeling horrible time, but I think I'm on the mend after a week.

I've been doing some bits from my sick bed though. I bought this Dapol Pannier a couple of years back and I thought I ought to finish it. The back of the cab had been hacked out to make way for a chip, I think:

Finally got round to repairing, re-rivetting and respraying it - handrails are yet to go back on but you get the idea:

I bought it for £30 - not bad for a Dapol, I thought! :)

I've also been restoring another German 2-6-0 tank (not the one that got squished in the post, that's a slightly longer-term project!)

More on the go so more pics soon!

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #939 on: September 13, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
I am just re-surfacing after a long and particularly horrible tummy bug... :( :sick2:  Loco time has been mostly replaced with lying in bed feeling horrible time, but I think I'm on the mend after a week.

I've been doing some bits from my sick bed though. I bought this Dapol Pannier a couple of years back and I thought I ought to finish it. The back of the cab had been hacked out to make way for a chip, I think:

Finally got round to repairing, re-rivetting and respraying it - handrails are yet to go back on but you get the idea:

I bought it for £30 - not bad for a Dapol, I thought! :)

I've also been restoring another German 2-6-0 tank (not the one that got squished in the post, that's a slightly longer-term project!)

More on the go so more pics soon!

Welcome back, its good to hear you are on the mend.

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #940 on: September 19, 2016, 09:33:50 AM »
8 hours of free time on Sunday without kids to do nothing but locos. Sheer, absolute bliss.

Lots done (photos to follow) and this rather lovely little combo finally completed:

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #941 on: September 20, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »
More things finished, nearly finished and just starting...

Finished: Peco Jube - Patriot conversion in BR apple green. I actually quite like this now, despite the colour.

Finished: Jinty in preservation livery. Proud of the lining on this one.

Nearly finished:

County class kit. I'm not sure if I've got it on the right chassis/wheels - it's all a bit wobbly. But it looks nice and once it's got cabside and name plates on should look lovely.

Nearly finished:

A Minitrix Warship newly decalled - just needs varnishing, name plates and re-assembly - plus the start of another Dutch 27.

Just starting:

I bought this thinking it was an E5. But is it an E3/E4? I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable lot knows! :) Either way it needs a lot of love - what livery it gets depends on what it is!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #942 on: September 20, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »

Agh - did you get the number wrong on this - the Jinties were in the 47xxx series.... 47357 would be ok....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #943 on: September 20, 2016, 12:12:46 PM »

Agh - did you get the number wrong on this - the Jinties were in the 47xxx series.... 47357 would be ok....

Cheers,
Alan

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :doh:

Nil desperandum - I can scrape back the offending 5, replace it with a 4, re-varnish and you'll never know...

Thanks for picking this up before it went on sale! :)

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #944 on: September 20, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »
I bought this thinking it was an E5. But is it an E3/E4? I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable lot knows! :) Either way it needs a lot of love - what livery it gets depends on what it is!

Hi O

My guess is a Langley E5 that's been sort-of converted to an E4. The E4 seems to have the right detailing for this (look at the lower coal rail, for instance, or a slightly flatter roof?):

An E4:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal