!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 255391 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #915 on: August 23, 2016, 08:55:35 PM »

Looking great Oz - gotta ask, the carriages in this pic, are these ones you painted up or are they RTR?  Only ask as I am working on some cream & green ones too

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Ozymandias

• N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #916 on: August 24, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »

Looking great Oz - gotta ask, the carriages in this pic, are these ones you painted up or are they RTR?  Only ask as I am working on some cream & green ones too

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks Andrew!

These are ones I painted (not very well, it was before I had my airbrush so I was using Humbrol acrylics and a brush, as you can tell by the (lack of) quality of the finish close up. They are better than they were, though - originally they were very badly and blobbily painted in cream and brown. They're very old Limas and not in terribly good nick, but good for scenic shots! ;)

In close up:

"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #917 on: August 24, 2016, 10:53:09 AM »
Good work with a brush though!  I did some old GF mk 1's that I acquired, was reasonably pleased with how they came out as it was my first proper go at anything with my airbrush, pics will be on my thread in the next few days... I think I might re-try it with some Mk 2's, I do like this livery, Harburn Hobbies do a 3 car west highland set, but only in OO and they advised me they have no plans to produce an N gauge set :(

I had another question on the orange/black lining you used on your county class, looks to be what I will need when I get around to the BoB I am re-doing as a Golden Arrow loco, can you remember what the Fox transfer reference is, I don't remember seeing Orange/Black/Orange lining.... 

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #918 on: August 24, 2016, 11:00:33 AM »
Finally some more locos on the way to completion!

Re-sprayed Minitrix 2-10-0 German loco in wartime guise, which will have a camouflaged military coach to go with it, and a much smarter-looking 94XX.

Both need mechanical/electrical work to get them running smoothly, but getting there!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #919 on: August 24, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
Good work with a brush though!  I did some old GF mk 1's that I acquired, was reasonably pleased with how they came out as it was my first proper go at anything with my airbrush, pics will be on my thread in the next few days... I think I might re-try it with some Mk 2's, I do like this livery, Harburn Hobbies do a 3 car west highland set, but only in OO and they advised me they have no plans to produce an N gauge set :(

I had another question on the orange/black lining you used on your county class, looks to be what I will need when I get around to the BoB I am re-doing as a Golden Arrow loco, can you remember what the Fox transfer reference is, I don't remember seeing Orange/Black/Orange lining.... 

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrew, the Fox transfer sheet I used for the County is this one: http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/general-orange-black-orange-lining-58515

They also do general straight lines in the same pattern: http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/general-orange-black-orange-lining-58516

Looking forward to seeing your pics! :)

Offline ODRAILS

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #920 on: August 24, 2016, 01:24:06 PM »
My spares or repair discovery was a Farish (China version) rebuilt Merchant Navy pacific which was advertised as a “very poor runner”. I bought it for two reasons, one, to see if I could repair an N gauge loco and two, to see if the  model is a reasonably accurate model for me to include in my roster of more modern N gauge steam locos

So as not to inflate my prowess at N gauge loco repair, I'll confess that all that was needed to get the loco going sweetly was to loosen the rear driving wheel keeper plate screw.....

As I hadn't  been able to find a detailed  dimensioned review of the Farish China version of the Rebuilt Merchant Navy (or any N gauge loco for that matter)  I measured up the loco, comparing various dimensions with a drawing. I found that the loco  was far more accurate than I expected considering when this model was introduced.

Loco driving wheelbase   (7'6”x7'6”)   N equiv = 15.5mmx15.5mm)  model = 15.5 x 15.5
Bogie wheelbase (6'3”)  N equiv -= 13mm, model = 15
Maximum width (9')  is accurate at 18.5mm
Other measurements on the length of the loco boiler and position of fittings match the drawing using 2.0625mm/foot

The wheels are a bit small  (real loco 6'2”) – over the tread/tyre they represent  5'10” and over the flange 6'3”

So the loco is generally very good and as the China made Farish locos have much finer profile wheels this Merchant Navy is a keeper on my railway.

The downside is the tender. It's supposed to represent the large capacity tender fitted to the last 10 BR built locos 35020-29.  It looks OK at first glance but doesn't measure up too well agaist the drawing.

Tender wheel base is equivalent to 7'6”X 7'6” but should be unequal at  7'4” x 7'0” and the tender body is elongated to match. Just a couple of mm but once you compare with the drawing it's noticeable.   I may have to do a “cut and shut” job on this tender...

Ian

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #921 on: August 26, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »
More loco action!

The bright green Patriot, a Southern E2, the County and a little German tank progress a little. Getting the lining curves right on those tenders has been fiendish!:

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #922 on: August 31, 2016, 09:27:04 AM »
Very sad to receive this back in the post yesterday - the remnants of a rather nice little German tank that I had restored and sold, only for it to be crushed and destroyed during its trip through the post.

Something very heavy must have landed on it at some speed - despite the strong protective packaging, the shell is shattered and deformed, the valve gear broken, the engine casing bent:

:(

Hang on, did I say destroyed...?

I have a spare shell whose cab and bunker are missing. I have teeny tiny screws that might just be able to repair the valve gear. I have glue and paint and tools. I have an over-developed sense of optimistic possibility and a pathological inability to throw a loco away.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am going to fix this poor little tank....

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #923 on: August 31, 2016, 09:38:57 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, I am going to fix this poor little tank....

Good for you, Gideon. It's shocking what has happened to that poor loco and I'm just glad nothing like that has ever occurred to my stock :o

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #924 on: September 01, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »
Test track town "Alexton" gets a much-needed pub - The Flying Swan, from Robert Rankin's immortal and brilliant Brentford Octology. Those who know, know...

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #925 on: September 01, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
We in my Industry call this sort of thing "Mission Creep", but this is by far the best example I have seen  ;)

A "Test Track" with a pub is no bad thing in my book, and it keeps those engine crews well lubricated!

Very sad to see the damage our wonderful ( :veryangry:) postal system inflicted on that poor tank. If it has any chance of saving, it's in the best place.

Skyline2uk 

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #926 on: September 01, 2016, 11:19:21 AM »
We in my Industry call this sort of thing "Mission Creep", but this is by far the best example I have seen  ;)

A "Test Track" with a pub is no bad thing in my book, and it keeps those engine crews well lubricated!

Very sad to see the damage our wonderful ( :veryangry:) postal system inflicted on that poor tank. If it has any chance of saving, it's in the best place.

Skyline2uk

Mission creep on a grand scale! :) It's all good practice for when I get my big GWR layout from my ex's garage, where it sits unhappily mouldering... hopefully I'll find some space for it soon.

There is hope for the tank - I'll set about it this weekend and post some pics of progress/failure! ;)

Offline Steve Brassett

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #927 on: September 01, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »
Test track town "Alexton" gets a much-needed pub - The Flying Swan, from Robert Rankin's immortal and brilliant Brentford Octology. Those who know, know...
Have you got an allotment growing sprouts?

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #928 on: September 01, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »
Have you got an allotment growing sprouts?

Ah, the wily sprout... Indeed - where I play golf after a couple of pints of Large... ;)

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #929 on: September 01, 2016, 11:57:30 AM »
Something very heavy must have landed on it at some speed

Looks like Postman Pat reversed over it! Not sure many current models could be resurrected as you propose, but if anything could be, a ?1980s? German model would be a reasonable bet ...

Mike

My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal