!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 255377 times)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #765 on: March 01, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »
As ever truly wonderful work, is that an LMS tender I can see in the background of one photo

Well spotted, Paul! :) Yes, that's the tender for the Royal Scot, whose recalcitrant motor and valve gear is getting the treatment tonight - along with some diesels that need a primering.

The Scot and the Ivatt will both be for sale...

I can already feel the pains in my wallet  :D

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #766 on: March 01, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »
As ever truly wonderful work, is that an LMS tender I can see in the background of one photo

Well spotted, Paul! :) Yes, that's the tender for the Royal Scot, whose recalcitrant motor and valve gear is getting the treatment tonight - along with some diesels that need a primering.

The Scot and the Ivatt will both be for sale...

I can already feel the pains in my wallet  :D

It gets worse - I'm doing another "Silver Jubilee" LMS Peco Jube in black with silver numbering...
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #767 on: March 01, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
That's it I'm now officially SULKING  :P

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #768 on: March 02, 2016, 06:39:38 AM »
I've seen your Ivatt on fleabay Oz - nice work! I'm not really into Trix but that looks stunning in Maroon. I've even put a cheeky bid in ... N the, I said cheeky, which means I'm probably nowhere near the final bid price. Besides, now I've mentioned it I've probably just pushed the price up further out of reach!  :veryangry:

Nice work all the same. If you come across any old Farish diesel bodies then it would be great to see you do some of those. I'm very happy with the two you did for me.

Kindest

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #769 on: March 02, 2016, 09:21:41 AM »
I've seen your Ivatt on fleabay Oz - nice work! I'm not really into Trix but that looks stunning in Maroon. I've even put a cheeky bid in ... N the, I said cheeky, which means I'm probably nowhere near the final bid price. Besides, now I've mentioned it I've probably just pushed the price up further out of reach!  :veryangry:

Nice work all the same. If you come across any old Farish diesel bodies then it would be great to see you do some of those. I'm very happy with the two you did for me.

Kindest

Dan

Thanks Dan! :)

I do have loads of Farish diesel bodies, which are sitting in the "now I really must get on and do something with these" box...! Some are half-sprayed, some yet to start - but they will make their way on to the Despair Depot production line soon! :)

Best wishes,

Gideon

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #770 on: March 02, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »
Gideon

What do you mean the Despair Depot production line, cheer up  :D

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #771 on: March 02, 2016, 10:00:47 AM »
Gideon

What do you mean the Despair Depot production line, cheer up  :D

Ha! :) Good point, Paul - I don't mean to make it sound like a chore by saying production line, I love restoring these little beauties - it's just that I seem to have acquired, um, quite a few of them... ;)

It's only the "Despair Depot" because of the line from Ozymandias, "Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair."

I enjoy it really... ;)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #772 on: March 02, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »
...and here's D818 "Glory", finished and, um, glorious...

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #773 on: March 08, 2016, 09:48:02 AM »
A couple of newly-refurbished Minitrix 0-6-0's - A T3 gets a nice green livery and a dock tank goes LMS:

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #774 on: March 09, 2016, 09:48:13 AM »
Another Warship (D801 Vanguard) and a BR Pannier come out of the paint shop...:

Lots more going on behind the scenes - pics soon!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #775 on: March 10, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »
I am a latecomer to your thread, but so glad I found it, I share your (and others) ideal of trying to breathe new life into loco's at the end of their service - some cracking work you have produced and it has been fun tracking back through ebay to find the ones you sold (without looking like a stalker!).  Your thread has inspired me to look again at my box of sorry spares & repairs and look at what they could be come rather than what they have become, though I don't know where you find them all!

Will follow your thread with interest now (and your ebay listings) - was sorry to read about your domestic changes, but hope that is all going ok (its a road I have also trodden)

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #776 on: March 10, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »
I am a latecomer to your thread, but so glad I found it, I share your (and others) ideal of trying to breathe new life into loco's at the end of their service - some cracking work you have produced and it has been fun tracking back through ebay to find the ones you sold (without looking like a stalker!).  Your thread has inspired me to look again at my box of sorry spares & repairs and look at what they could be come rather than what they have become, though I don't know where you find them all!

Will follow your thread with interest now (and your ebay listings) - was sorry to read about your domestic changes, but hope that is all going ok (its a road I have also trodden)

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks Andrew - your kind comments and support are both hugely appreciated! :)  :NGaugersRule:

Cheers,

Gideon

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #777 on: March 11, 2016, 07:15:48 PM »
evening Oz, thanks for your kind comments on my thread, much appreciated - I was hoping to see if you could help me with a project of my own (inspired entirely by you) - I have acquired a Dapol M7 and want to re-invent it as Caledonian Railway 0-4-4 Tank loco number 419 as preserved at the SRPS at Bo'Ness (will need some minor amendments, but it is pretty close to start with).  I am struggling to find 2mm Caledonian Railway transfers at Fox, Railtec, precision labels ... any thoughts on where else I can try given your impressive track record?  I am hoping I can lift the linings from other transfer sets as it is white-black-white in all the usual places.  Any thoughts you have would be most welcome.... the matter of the correct colour is not an easy one either, but I have a few colours to choose from that should fit the bill

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #778 on: March 14, 2016, 09:18:46 AM »
evening Oz, thanks for your kind comments on my thread, much appreciated - I was hoping to see if you could help me with a project of my own (inspired entirely by you) - I have acquired a Dapol M7 and want to re-invent it as Caledonian Railway 0-4-4 Tank loco number 419 as preserved at the SRPS at Bo'Ness (will need some minor amendments, but it is pretty close to start with).  I am struggling to find 2mm Caledonian Railway transfers at Fox, Railtec, precision labels ... any thoughts on where else I can try given your impressive track record?  I am hoping I can lift the linings from other transfer sets as it is white-black-white in all the usual places.  Any thoughts you have would be most welcome.... the matter of the correct colour is not an easy one either, but I have a few colours to choose from that should fit the bill

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

That's a lovely subject to model! :) For the lettering, I too have struggled to find proper CR letters, but what you could do is get Fox transfers generic alphabets (Futura/Franklin font, I think?) in red and gold, put on the CR in red slightly off-centre (down and to the left) and then overlay with the gold letters to create the drop shadow. You could even do black, red, gold if you wanted to be really fiddly! ;)

For the colour, that doesn't look a million miles away from the Humbrol French blue I used on Robert the Devil and the blue Windsor Castle (see earlier pages of this thread) - or BR steam loco blue.

Cheers,

Gideon

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #779 on: March 16, 2016, 10:10:53 AM »
Progress! :)

I've finally finished the E5 Southern tank after lots of chassis-shaping:

The Royal Scot is now also up and running:

A Jube, a 31, a dock tank, a couple of 47s and a Warship in varying stages of development on top of the cardboard box professional spray booth I use...

It's not a mess, you just don't understand my system.... ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal