!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 255412 times)

Offline Firefox

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #690 on: November 25, 2015, 05:55:43 AM »
Do people really stash locos as investment?

Such a shame, I would prefer to see them running and enjoyed. Which is why I find this thread fascinating, bringing old locos to life and giving them new homes.

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #691 on: November 25, 2015, 10:17:31 AM »
I only stash mine with a view to restoring them and getting them to an appreciative new home! :)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #692 on: November 25, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »
I think your efforts to restore "broken" or "unloved" locos is to be praised Ozzy.

Not a massively "Eco" person myself, but waste is never good and even from that point of view you could say you are saving landfill by repairing so many locos.

But primarily you should be applauded for the skills displayed and quality of work which certainly acts an inspiration to the likes of me  :claphappy: :thumbsup:

Offline Firefox

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #693 on: November 25, 2015, 11:48:50 AM »
I prefer to reuse old things if I can. It is such a throwaway society otherwise.

And of course the locos in this thread are unique. Variety in the nation's rolling stock is to be admired.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #694 on: November 25, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
I only stash mine with a view to restoring them and getting them to an appreciative new home! :)
Ozy

I think anything anyone can do to restore older models so that they can continue to be used needs to be applauded, that's why I have my Hornby Dublo 3 rail

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #695 on: November 26, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »
A few more developments to share:

The Dutch 27 is coming along nicely:

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

The preservation livery Ivatt tender is ready for a final coat of satin - I really like this livery!:

I had a rather battered-looking Jinty that I wasn't sure with to do with until I came across a pic of an LMS ex-S&DJR version, still in dark blue - I love the colour, so here's mine, awaiting satin-ing:

Another golden ochre 31 gets some lining:

Last but not least - finally, finally finished - the provincial 47 I'm doing for a friend:

Many more on the go - pics of these as I get to them! :)

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #696 on: November 26, 2015, 10:01:03 AM »
Where do you find the time or the patience Ozymandias I used to be able to do things but my eyes and fingers won't let me now.I try but usualy fail and give up some things turn out reasonable and at least Im proud that I've tried .
But I love to see your work it's lovely.
How you made the nameplate ALFIE for me I don't know he still loves  to see his loco running on Grandads layout .
I will have to get you to make me one for my granddaughter ELLA soon but she's only 14 weeks at the moment so plenty of time yet.
Cheers Bob

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #697 on: November 26, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »
Where do you find the time or the patience Ozymandias I used to be able to do things but my eyes and fingers won't let me now.I try but usualy fail and give up some things turn out reasonable and at least Im proud that I've tried .
But I love to see your work it's lovely.
How you made the nameplate ALFIE for me I don't know he still loves  to see his loco running on Grandads layout .
I will have to get you to make me one for my granddaughter ELLA soon but she's only 14 weeks at the moment so plenty of time yet.
Cheers Bob

Thanks Bob! :)

I'd be delighted to do the plates for Ella - let me know when you have a loco ready to put them on (and when Ella will appreciate it without trying to use it as a teether...!) ;)

Best wishes,

Gideon

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #698 on: December 01, 2015, 09:34:11 AM »
More from the "nearly finished" department...

Ivatt 2-6-0 tender in preservation livery - needs a test run:

Warship D832 "Onslaught" in preservation livery (always thought it appropriate that they did a Warship in battleship grey!) ;)  Needs windows and test running.

Warship "Greyhound" - all finished and running, but both headlights come on at once, rather than being directional.  :hmmm:  Not sure enough of my electrics to know how to resolve this - anyone any ideas?!

More as they roll on to the workbench... ;)

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #699 on: December 01, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »
It may well be that it wasn't designed with directional headlights, but I suspect a diode on the circuit at each end would do the trick.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #700 on: December 01, 2015, 10:47:20 AM »
More excellent locomotives for future owners to appreciate and enjoy. As ever a real treat to see what miracles you turn out from such humble origins (even the none LMS loco's and those modern buzz box things :-[)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #701 on: December 01, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »
It may well be that it wasn't designed with directional headlights, but I suspect a diode on the circuit at each end would do the trick.

Thanks Zwilnik! It does have a diode at the "front end", so I'm presuming it must be directional - could the diode have blown or be wired wrong? I know nuffink about electrics!! ;)

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #702 on: December 01, 2015, 11:09:21 AM »

Thanks Zwilnik! It does have a diode at the "front end", so I'm presuming it must be directional - could the diode have blown or be wired wrong? I know nuffink about electrics!! ;)

it's quite possible. The basic function of a diode is it only allows current to flow in one direction. So when the current is set for one direction, the diode at one end will be blocking it from the lights and when in the other, another diode would be blocking the current from the other set of lights. (if the lights are LEDs, they are diodes themselves). It's possible the diode's blown and is simply shorting through but my knowledge of electronics is pretty basic too :) (something I intend to swot up on a bit and improve).

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #703 on: December 01, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
It seems a common failing on early Minitrix that the lighting ends up illuminating in both directions. Removal of the old diodes and replacement with a new circuit should solve it  - any standard diodes with a reasonable current rating should suffice.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:26:13 PM by Dr Al »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #704 on: December 01, 2015, 12:20:57 PM »
It seems a common failing on early Minitrix that the lighting ends up illuminating in both directions. Removal of the old diodes and replacement with a new circuit should solve it  - any standard diode with a reasonable current rating should suffice.

Cheers,
Alan

Brilliant, thanks Alan! I think I have a spare "new old stock" diode somewhere in my Minitrix gubbins box - I'll try soldering this on and see if it makes a difference! :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal