!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 253916 times)

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #645 on: October 27, 2015, 05:40:07 PM »
No use appealing to @Sprintex or @Tank, all you will get there is a vote for a "Swallow" and "NSE" livery 'Jubes respectively  :D

Damn right :D

Paul

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #646 on: October 27, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »
:laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing:

No use appealing to @Sprintex or @Tank, all you will get there is a vote for a "Swallow" and "NSE" livery 'Jubes respectively  :D

But steering back to the good work of Ozzy, I have to say the birthday present you are working on is really special. I know I would have...in fact would still....be bowled over if somebody made a layout like that for me  :laugh3:

Please do post "finished" (I know no layout can ever be really "finished") photos of the layout, perhaps with some more Ozzy creations suitably posed?

Skyline2uk

Thanks, Skyline! :) I will definitely post more pics when it's all done - perhaps with a couple more completed Jubes and the odd re-liveried Warship draped alluringly across it... ;)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #647 on: October 27, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
Smashing paint/lining job of the Jubilee :thumbsup:

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #648 on: October 28, 2015, 09:32:06 AM »
It's so good to be back from my works trip and able to get back to fixing up some locos...

Here's that Warship I'm working on, now complete with yellow ends and black buffer beam, accompanied by: various bits of the formerly green and gold DB tender loco (now a nice Prussian blue); a Trix Ivatt in LMS crimson; a T3 in new green and black livery; and the provincial 47 (this has been a saga - I sprayed the roof with black cellulose-based aerosol and it reacted with the blue enamel underneath, crinkling up nastily. A scrape and a sand has removed the worst - I think a final coat of enamel black and grey on the panels and she'll be fine. But lesson learned!)

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

The "awaiting final decals/varnish"department...:

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: October 30, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »
Another day, another crimson LMS loco (nearly!) completed...

Here's the Royal Scot, looking lovely - but not yet running so well! She was happily chuffing round the test track last night, me looking smugly on thinking: "She looks so good I can almost see the smoke coming off her. Oh, I can see smoke coming off her..." The armature I'd used was a dud which was shorting, so a new motor is in order. Other than that, I'm really happy with this one.

I've been stripping a few more loco bodies that I've acquired - I like the shape of this one but I have no idea what it is, what livery it should have  or what sort of chassis it should sit on - maybe Crab or Black 5? Any suggestions/advice gratefully received!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #650 on: October 30, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »
I've been stripping a few more loco bodies that I've acquired - I like the shape of this one but I have no idea what it is, what livery it should have  or what sort of chassis it should sit on - maybe Crab or Black 5? Any suggestions/advice gratefully received!

It's a LMS stanier 2-6-4T, designed for a Farish black 5 chassis with added rear bogie. Might be possible to fit a 4MT 2-6-4T chassis also.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #651 on: October 30, 2015, 09:39:06 AM »

It's a LMS stanier 2-6-4T, designed for a Farish black 5 chassis with added rear bogie. Might be possible to fit a 4MT 2-6-4T chassis also.

HTH,
Alan

You're a star, thanks Alan! :)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #652 on: October 30, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »
P.s. - Colour - LMS black or BR black are the only prototypical liveries from service time. I think the preserved one was painted LMS crimson with BR lining in preservation days though.
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #653 on: October 30, 2015, 09:48:34 AM »
Another day, another crimson LMS loco (nearly!) completed...

Here's the Royal Scot, looking lovely - but not yet running so well! She was happily chuffing round the test track last night, me looking smugly on thinking: "She looks so good I can almost see the smoke coming off her. Oh, I can see smoke coming off her..." The armature I'd used was a dud which was shorting, so a new motor is in order. Other than that, I'm really happy with this one.

The Stannier Tank looks rather good, I am working on one in lined black for Foster Street I have mounted it on a Black 5 chassis. Just out of interest what paint do you use for your crimson??

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #654 on: October 30, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »

The Stannier Tank looks rather good, I am working on one in lined black for Foster Street I have mounted it on a Black 5 chassis. Just out of interest what paint do you use for your crimson??

Hi Paul, I usually use Halfords Rover Damask Red aerosol for LMS crimson - touch-up work can be done with Humbrol 20 crimson gloss, which by happy chance is bang on the same shade! :)

Oh, and let your wallet be warned - that crimson Jube is going on ebay this weekend... ;)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #655 on: October 30, 2015, 10:11:59 AM »
Don't mention Flea Bay, I always get beaten at the last minute :'(

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #656 on: October 30, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »
Don't mention Flea Bay, I always get beaten at the last minute :'(

I know that feeling!! :(

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #657 on: November 03, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »
You just keep getting better and better at this.  Anyone would think that you've been practising!  That's a beautiful little loco.
Apologies if it's been asked before in the thread but would you mind doing a step-by-step series of photos of how you do the lining?

Here's how I do the lining, using a Minitrix Ivatt I'm doing in a crimson livery as an example...:

Apply the (in this case) yellow-black-yellow lining decal, let it dry well, then using a fine permanent marker (or enamel paint on a brush) go over the outer yellow band:

Same tender with a bit more done - tricky inner corners will be filled with a very fine brush. It takes time and requires a very steady hand, but I think the results are worth it! :)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #658 on: November 03, 2015, 12:11:20 PM »
You big show off lol  :D Brilliant work, I think I may send you my entire fleet  :thankyousign:

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #659 on: November 03, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »
You big show off lol  :D Brilliant work, I think I may send you my entire fleet  :thankyousign:

Thanks, Paul! If you want to add to your fleet that crimson Jube is now on ebay... ;)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal