!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 255394 times)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #495 on: June 30, 2015, 10:54:38 AM »
I quite like the green B!, I cant believe I just said that

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #496 on: June 30, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »
I quite like the green B!, I cant believe I just said that

You'll like what I'm working on next, Paul - a Peco Jube that someone has painted lime green...  :goggleeyes:

It's going in the brake fluid bath, but I'll get a pic before it does!

"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #497 on: June 30, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
Some people are just wrong, how could anyone do that to such brilliant thing as a Jube? There is no hope for the workd

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #498 on: June 30, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
Some people are just wrong, how could anyone do that to such brilliant thing as a Jube? There is no hope for the workd

Fear not - I will restore it to proper loveliness... :)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #499 on: June 30, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »
One quick question, what paint do you use for your LMS crimson?

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #500 on: June 30, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
One quick question, what paint do you use for your LMS crimson?

I use Rover Damask Red car spray from Halfords - although I've found that Humbrol gloss enamel (number 20 crimson, I think) is exactly the same shade (useful when it comes to touching up bits the spray doesn't reach!) ;-)

The Halfords sprays (which I think are cellulose-thinned) don't seem to mind having Railmatch enamel varnish sprayed over the top of them, but I have had issues spraying guitars I've made where an enamel varnish over a cellulose paint has reacted and cracked - so generally I try to stay with one type of paint base, be it enamel, cellulose or acrylic.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #501 on: June 30, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »
cool I use the same paints and like you I have been lucky so far when applying varnish

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #502 on: June 30, 2015, 04:12:28 PM »
The E5 is repaired after my Dremelling accident - you'd never know... ;)

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Nope, you never would know. It's still looking very good, and I can't wait to see it with the lining completed..

Erm... but isn't that boiler lining wrapped around the handrail too? I bet you knew that and just hadn't got around to repainting the whole handrail yet.  ;)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #503 on: June 30, 2015, 04:26:45 PM »

Nope, you never would know. It's still looking very good, and I can't wait to see it with the lining completed..

Erm... but isn't that boiler lining wrapped around the handrail too? I bet you knew that and just hadn't got around to repainting the whole handrail yet.  ;)

Thanks Pete! I haven't forgotten that boiler lining, honest! I normally do one long piece all the way round and then scalpel off the bits where it's not meant to be, like the handrail - it means that it all stays in line until it's dry. I just haven't got round to doing the scalpelling yet! ;)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #504 on: June 30, 2015, 05:32:18 PM »
That reminds me I need to get some lining transfers, unless I get my famous bow pen out, who do you recommend, other than the fantastic fox

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #505 on: June 30, 2015, 05:38:27 PM »
That reminds me I need to get some lining transfers, unless I get my famous bow pen out, who do you recommend, other than the fantastic fox

I've only ever really used Fox for lining - occasionally I use some old Press/Methfix stuff that I bought second hand, but that's more for lettering or logos (similarly Railtech).

If you use your bow pen, please take pics to show how it's done - I've never used one!! :)

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #506 on: June 30, 2015, 05:47:53 PM »

I've only ever really used Fox for lining - occasionally I use some old Press/Methfix stuff that I bought second hand, but that's more for lettering or logos (similarly Railtech).

If you use your bow pen, please take pics to show how it's done - I've never used one!! :)

Paul, bow pen all the way!

Ozymandias, if you'd like to use a bow pen I'd recommend reading 'A Modeller's Handbook of Painting and Lining' by Ian Rathbone. It covers all the lining techniques and has improved my abilities with a pen no end. Apologies for those who have seen this before, but below is my hand lining experiment using a rejected 3D print.

Everything here was hand lined using a mixture of bow pen and ooo brush. The boiler bands are Scotchtape lined out and stuck on, I won't be using this method again but might have a go with some hand painted water side transfers at a later date.

Hope this helps.

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #507 on: June 30, 2015, 05:48:57 PM »

I to would be interested in a How to on the use of a bow pen.
Diane Tape

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #508 on: June 30, 2015, 05:55:12 PM »

Paul, bow pen all the way!

Ozymandias, if you'd like to use a bow pen I'd recommend reading 'A Modeller's Handbook of Painting and Lining' by Ian Rathbone. It covers all the lining techniques and has improved my abilities with a pen no end. Apologies for those who have seen this before, but below is my hand lining experiment using a rejected 3D print.

Everything here was hand lined using a mixture of bow pen and ooo brush. The boiler bands are Scotchtape lined out and stuck on, I won't be using this method again but might have a go with some hand painted water side transfers at a later date.

Hope this helps.

Wow - that's a lovely job! I will have to look into bow pens - amongst other hobbies I occasionally do a bit of calligraphy, so they shold be right up my street! :)

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #509 on: June 30, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »
I tred a bow pen but couldn't get on with it, I now use Rotring drawing pens with opaque inks, I've cut some templates for different radii to draw round and use a ruler for the straight lines, however my hands are not as steady as they used ter woz, as can be seen on the T9 in my sig

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal