!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 254096 times)

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #390 on: May 10, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »
HELP HELP HELP

What loco is the chassis from?

Cheers
Alan

Its from a crab

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: May 10, 2015, 08:41:44 PM »
Is the motor runnign and not engaging with wheels? Have you checked that the worm is meshing and the armature housing is secured correctly by the front screw (the one that connects to the top brush wire with a nut securing it?)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: May 10, 2015, 08:59:02 PM »
Is the motor runnign and not engaging with wheels? Have you checked that the worm is meshing and the armature housing is secured correctly by the front screw (the one that connects to the top brush wire with a nut securing it?)

Cheers,
Alan

The motor rums and occasionally engages with the wheels so it does run, the front screw seems to be correctly attached, maybe the keeper plate is slightly bent? For the life of me I just cant seem to win with this one.

I know last time I spoke to BR lines they had a turn around time of about 16 weeks :(

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #393 on: May 10, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »
It may be the keeper plate - turn each of its screws 1/2 turn (loosen) to see if that helps.

Check no valve gear parts are catching (can loosen the nut and bolt screw here and lift the motor a touch so you can turn the wheels freely and check for catching).

Otherwise it could be that it's mashed the drive gear - can you turn it and see if the teeth on the central wheelset are ok?

HTH,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #394 on: May 10, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »
It may be the keeper plate - turn each of its screws 1/2 turn (loosen) to see if that helps.

Check no valve gear parts are catching (can loosen the nut and bolt screw here and lift the motor a touch so you can turn the wheels freely and check for catching).

Otherwise it could be that it's mashed the drive gear - can you turn it and see if the teeth on the central wheelset are ok?

HTH,
Alan

The valve gear seems to be okay, the gear on the central wheel set seems to be intact, the motor does run hot which it never did before and, then when the chassis decides to stop and the motor whirs away the front wheels seem almost jammed

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #395 on: May 10, 2015, 09:12:07 PM »
Try not to let the motor get hot (this could kill it) - if testing just do so in short bursts.

When it stops try to rotate the wheels 180 degrees for the point they were at and inspect closely the drive gear on the central wheelset. It's still possible this could have worn a touch (doesn't take much to loose mesh - can sometimes noe even be easy to see).

Can you turn the armature freely by hand? It should be easy - if it's stiff then it could have got hot enough to start deforming one of the bearings and that could then allow it to move out of alignment with the drive gear.

HTH,
Alan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #396 on: May 10, 2015, 09:31:23 PM »
Try not to let the motor get hot (this could kill it) - if testing just do so in short bursts.

When it stops try to rotate the wheels 180 degrees for the point they were at and inspect closely the drive gear on the central wheelset. It's still possible this could have worn a touch (doesn't take much to loose mesh - can sometimes noe even be easy to see).

Can you turn the armature freely by hand? It should be easy - if it's stiff then it could have got hot enough to start deforming one of the bearings and that could then allow it to move out of alignment with the drive gear.

HTH,
Alan

I can turn the armature quite easily, maybe there has been some deforming, it seems to stop at different positions, the motor does not like to run unless it has a bit of a shove, I think this one may be a bit beyond me 

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #397 on: May 11, 2015, 12:06:23 AM »
Is difficult to know what else to suggest without seeing it, but you say the motor is sticky - is this at a particular point of rotation of the armature?

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2015, 02:52:35 PM »
Another day, another box full of spares and repair goodies arrives for fixing up...

But does anyone know what I've bought here - I haven't a clue what this loco is or what it should look like in reality!:

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: May 20, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »
Seems like no-one knows what my mystery loco is... :( Other clues are that it looks like it had pantographs and was originally orange...

More work done - the Minitrix dock tank is now finished:

Sir Nigel (now with corrected footplates!), GER 2-6-4 and J39 all progressing with decals:

I should finish that golden ochre Class 31 tonight - looking forward to seeing that running! :)

Offline spiceyart

• Awards
« Reply #400 on: May 21, 2015, 10:55:39 AM »
I'm not sure what the model's meant to be of, but judging from the design of the bogies I think it is a Piko one, Hope that helps,

Art

(and I've been watching this thread since before I was a member of NGF and have always thought how amazing it is that you can make out of no-hope locos, often better than they started) :drool:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:01:35 AM by spiceyart »

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #401 on: May 21, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »
I'm not sure what the model's meant to be of, but judging from the design of the bogies I think it is a Piko one, Hope that helps,

That was my first thought, but while I can't claim to be an expert, it's not one I've seen before, and the locomotive type isn't anything like I've ever seen.

Any chance of a picture of the underside?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #402 on: May 21, 2015, 11:31:59 AM »
It's definitely a Piko - it's written on the underside (I'll get a pic when I can).

I'll have to have it to bits (it needs a lot of love anyway!!) and see if there's a reference number or something inside the body or on the chassis...

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #403 on: May 21, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
It's definitely a Piko - it's written on the underside (I'll get a pic when I can).

I'll have to have it to bits (it needs a lot of love anyway!!) and see if there's a reference number or something inside the body or on the chassis...

Don't be surprised if this is a pretty dire runner - I had something similar and the drive mechanism (even after overhaul) was truly awful....

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #404 on: May 21, 2015, 11:39:24 AM »

Don't be surprised if this is a pretty dire runner - I had something similar and the drive mechanism (even after overhaul) was truly awful....

Cheers,
Alan

I do love a challenge... ;)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations